or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Dumb Question: Can I hot-swap my headphones once my amp is warmed up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dumb Question: Can I hot-swap my headphones once my amp is warmed up?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I finally have a second pair of headphones to use with my WA6. (First being LCD-2's, second being ATH-M50's I primarily use for running.)

Anyway, I'm looking to do some A/B testing, so I was just wondering if there's any harm in unplugging one set of cans, and plugging another set in. Should I turn the volume pot all the way down before switching? Turn the amp off? Or should I just pop it out and pop the other one in?

Thanks so much!
Edited by LostChild1 - 5/29/14 at 4:36pm
post #2 of 6

I have a LD MKIV - and if I'm swapping cans, I always turn the volume pot to zero before unplugging and replugging.

 

With an OTL tube - also pays to always let them warm up properly before plugging for the first time.

post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChild1 View Post

So I finally have a second pair of headphones to use with my WA6. (First being LCD-2's, second being ATH-M50's I primarily use for running.)
Anyway, I'm looking to do some A/B testing, so I was just wondering if there's any harm in unplugging one set of cans, and plugging another set in. Should I turn the volume pot all the way down before switching? Turn the amp off? Or should I just pop it out and pop the other one in?

 

It's fine swapping headphones with the headphone amplifier turn on.

Technically it's a little safer to plug headphones in after the amp has been turned on anyway.

But you should turn the volume way way down before swapping headphones.

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 
Wow I had no idea. I've been turning the amp on with the LCD-2's plugged in for the past few years. How bad do you think this was for them? From here on out I'll unplug everything, wait for the amp to warm up, then plug things in.
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChild1 View Post

Wow I had no idea. I've been turning the amp on with the LCD-2's plugged in for the past few years. How bad do you think this was for them? From here on out I'll unplug everything, wait for the amp to warm up, then plug things in.

 

I personally only know of one headphone amplifier model that had a problem with a "power surge?" to the headphones, when the headphone amplifier was turned on (or maybe it was when the amp was turned off?).

My headphones stay plugged into my NFB-15.32 DAC/amp when I turn the NFB-15.32 on or off, so it's not a big deal leaving the headphones plugged in.

It's just that if one has to be really really "technical" about it, unplugging the headphones before turning the amp on or off is safest.

But I'm sure a lot of people just leave their headphones plugged in 24/7 and do not have a problem.

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

I personally only know of one headphone amplifier model that had a problem with a "power surge?" to the headphones, when the headphone amplifier was turned on (or maybe it was when the amp was turned off?).

My headphones stay plugged into my NFB-15.32 DAC/amp when I turn the NFB-15.32 on or off, so it's not a big deal leaving the headphones plugged in.

It's just that if one has to be really really "technical" about it, unplugging the headphones before turning the amp on or off is safest.

But I'm sure a lot of people just leave their headphones plugged in 24/7 and do not have a problem.

 

Just to clarify - I was talking tube amps - as he indicated he has a WA6.  I don't get any transient voltages from my NFB-12 either - so most solid states should be OK to hot-plug.  Tubes - not really.  If I plug any of my cans into the Little Dot without warming up - there is a definite voltage transient (burst of static).  Not worth the risk .....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Dumb Question: Can I hot-swap my headphones once my amp is warmed up?