or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How many of you have found your endgame holy grail headphone?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How many of you have found your endgame holy grail headphone? - Page 5

post #61 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougd
 

Could be worse ... we can all be happy our favorite hobby isn't TOTL violins.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whentheclouds View Post
 

lol, can you elaborate?

 

 

for violins, TOTL old technology = Stradivarius = pricey

post #62 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs28 View Post
 

The Shure SE535 measures better than the HD800 in square wave tests which is only a $500 IEM. 

 

I think HD800 looks better in this graph.. do you see that weird backward bounce of SE535?

post #63 of 105

I'm extremely happy with my SR-007 MK1, but I would still like to spend some time with an HE-6/560 and an LCD3/X. I'd like to hear more of the HD800 and of the SR-009, and then there's the Orpheus, of course...

 

Still, the SR-007 is the best I've ever heard.

post #64 of 105

HE-6 for me (for now), I've owned most stuff apart from the high-end Stax gear, and spent time with the stuff I haven't actually owned and yet to find anything as well matched for my hearing and tastes as the HE-6.

post #65 of 105

For me the Holy Grail is a combination:

 

HD800 - For Orchestral & Big Band music

LCD-3 - For Everything else: Rock/Jazz//New Age/World/Vocal/Easy Listening.

 

Both of these are paired with Auralic Taurus MK2 Amp & Auralic Vega DAC.

 

This combo is bliss for all my listening tastes.

 

I have been considering an Abyss AB-1266, which is supposed to have the best of HD800 & LCD-3

post #66 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

If you like the PH6, the Shure SE846 should be right up your alley. That's my full/IEM combo. 

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure the  SE846 will end up being my IEM/Portable solution. Another point of support for that IEM.


Edited by pachoo5 - 6/20/14 at 8:05pm
post #67 of 105

post #68 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachoo5 View Post
 

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I am pretty sure the  SE846 will end up being my IEM/Portable solution. Another point of support for that IEM.

 

I own the SE535 and like it but it doesn't have enough low end, not nearly enough. I heard great things about the sub bass from the SE846.

 

I went from 535 to 846. The only way to explain it is imagine a refined 535 with a subwoofer. 

post #69 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn19h7 View Post

I think HD800 looks better in this graph.. do you see that weird backward bounce of SE535?

Yeah that is a fine looking graph, but comparing SE535 to HD800 is an apples-to-oranges type deal. I don't listen to my SE535's at home at all if I can avoid it.
post #70 of 105
I think I am there......HE-6 just blew me away out of a vintage Pioneer Spec system.

Coming from a great TH900, the HE-6 just has a special sound quality.
post #71 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post

I think I am there......HE-6 just blew me away out of a vintage Pioneer Spec system.

Coming from a great TH900, the HE-6 just has a special sound quality.


You are lucky you found that Pioneer to work properly with the HE-6, as that is the key to the HE-6, proper amplification!

post #72 of 105

I can't imagine anyone at headfi owning their endgame gear now. I think anyone into this hobby will continue to upgrade as the years go by. I don't think anyone will settle for any gear unless they decided to stop following the latest tech as it releases.

post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish View Post

I can't imagine anyone at headfi owning their endgame gear now. I think anyone into this hobby will continue to upgrade as the years go by. I don't think anyone will settle for any gear unless they decided to stop following the latest tech as it releases.

Latest is not always greatest wink.gif
post #74 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post

Latest is not always greatest wink.gif
Exactly look at how many people desire the vintage Grado's, AKG K1000's, Sony R10's, etc.
post #75 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddTheMetalGod View Post


Exactly look at how many people desire the vintage Grado's, AKG K1000's, Sony R10's, etc.

 

Rest assured if those products were sitting on the shelf being currently manufactured their appeal would be severely diminished. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › How many of you have found your endgame holy grail headphone?