or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any headphone that provide similar quality and price as Sennheiser HD 650
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any headphone that provide similar quality and price as Sennheiser HD 650

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone,

 

Im new to this headphone thinggy.

 

After a while  survey of sennheiser hd 650, i come out with my opinion that this is the best headphone under 500$

 

But one thing that really make me change my choice instantly that hd650 is an open can.

 

So, with humble i need your help guys. Is there other close can headphone tht provide same benefit as hd650.

 

Thank you in advance.

post #2 of 8

Shure SRH1540.

 

It is closed and goes for the same price. I compared the SRH1540 to the HD 650 at a head-fi meet and found they both had a comparable, warm signature. The SRH1540's have a bit more treble extension I think though. Also the pad shape is very similar, although the SRH1540 uses a memory foam. The SRH1540 is also much easier to drive without an amplifier. 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thank you for your recommendation!

 

But Shure SRH1540 deliver 5 Hz – 25 kHz frequency range compared to HD 650 which 5hz- 38 khz.

 

I think i get the wrong idea about frequency range. Does high frequency range provide better quality sound?

post #4 of 8

Absolutely not, it's a terrible metric to compare headphones, as long as you hit 20kHz.

 

The Shure SRH1840 might be about as comparable to the HD650's at the same price point. You'll notice they are weighted a bit more towards the low end so keep that in mind. 

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by racounter View Post
 

Thank you for your recommendation!

 

But Shure SRH1540 deliver 5 Hz – 25 kHz frequency range compared to HD 650 which 5hz- 38 khz.

 

I think i get the wrong idea about frequency range. Does high frequency range provide better quality sound?

 

Not necessarily - the human ear barely hears anything above 25khz (I can hear up to 22khz, past that I need to increase the volume beyond actual listening levels). IF and when you can hear a driver like a headphone's or a ribbon tweeter sounding better it has less to do with the range and more with how much smoother the response is, as a high quality driver likely has a smoother response and a wider range. Also not a lot of music has information below 40hz, unless it's classical music with booming bass sections, or crunk which is meant to blow your windshield right off the car if you buy a 2,000watt amplifier and a subwoofer in the right enclosure.

 

There's also the possibility that the difference is more in how the manufacturers choose to state the specs. The HD650 can get 5khz to 38khz, but it's only really flat enough from 20hz to around 20khz, and it's equally possible that the SRH-1540 can actually get well past 25khz, but since that's effectively inaudible because of the drop-off as well as limitations in human hearing, then they didn't bother to include that in the specs and capped it at 25khz.

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtegeManiac View Post
 

 

Not necessarily - the human ear barely hears anything above 25khz (I can hear up to 22khz, past that I need to increase the volume beyond actual listening levels). IF and when you can hear a driver like a headphone's or a ribbon tweeter sounding better it has less to do with the range and more with how much smoother the response is, as a high quality driver likely has a smoother response and a wider range. Also not a lot of music has information below 40hz, unless it's classical music with booming bass sections, or crunk which is meant to blow your windshield right off the car if you buy a 2,000watt amplifier and a subwoofer in the right enclosure.

 

There's also the possibility that the difference is more in how the manufacturers choose to state the specs. The HD650 can get 5khz to 38khz, but it's only really flat enough from 20hz to around 20khz, and it's equally possible that the SRH-1540 can actually get well past 25khz, but since that's effectively inaudible because of the drop-off as well as limitations in human hearing, then they didn't bother to include that in the specs and capped it at 25khz.

 

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation. It really help brighten my knowledge about frequency range. Nevertheless, I already cut off sennheiser hd650 from my list, although it deliver high quality sound but in open can form. I know open can deliver better sound quality than closed and i prefer closed to prevent leaking sound that might annoy everyone around me. I have run out of budget since i bought Hippo cricri 24 bit DAC/AMP . It reduce my budget to 300$. Is there any good headphone worth that price? I got few on my crosshair.

 

AKG K550 Close back Headphone

Beyerdynamic DT880pro Professional headphone ( not sure closed or open)

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphone        ( not sure closed or open)

Sennheiser Momentum      ( If it's very good like people were saying, I wouldn't mind to spend a few more bucks on it)

Shure SRH840 Professional Headphone

 

If there another better headphone do recommend for thanks!

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

.


Edited by racounter - 5/28/14 at 6:20am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by racounter View Post
 

 

AKG K550 Close back Headphone

Beyerdynamic DT880pro Professional headphone ( not sure closed or open)

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Headphone        ( not sure closed or open)

Sennheiser Momentum      ( If it's very good like people were saying, I wouldn't mind to spend a few more bucks on it)

Shure SRH840 Professional Headphone

 

 

Of those I only have enough time on the K550 and SRH840. I like the 840 a little bit more in terms of sound even with a slightly smaller soundstage, but its earcup is a little tight around my earlobes. The K550 just needs a little bending/adjustment to the headband to put a little bit more clamping force and compress the earpads more to get the bass right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Any headphone that provide similar quality and price as Sennheiser HD 650