Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic T1's and Sound Cards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic T1's and Sound Cards - Page 3

post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectAssault View Post

I am sorry mate, but I've tested this on my own rig and and i get anywhere from 2-5 additional fps with the addition of the sound card. (the variation is game dependent)

I don't understand why you don't but It doesn't really matter.

I do not understand why you have that much RAM. I can only assume it is overkill if you don't do any virtualization or use graphics rendering software.

But this is off topics. and the point is that I do see an increase in performance in my current rig.

However, I would like to hear your argument about why USB is the best interface.

Maybe the newer sound cars have better hardware or software for off loading sound processing. I did have an older sound card. I actually pay around with ram disks that's why I have that much and because it was cheap. In any event what I said about $200 invested in other PC sub systems netting more FPS per $ spent is still true.

USB is the best because its plug and play, if you use a sound card or MOBO sound chip the soft ware and or drivers have the potential to become unstable over time and crash. Also glass optical cables can break if over bent and both glass and plastic can get starched easy. USB also has lowest potential for forms of digital distortion and less susceptible to all the electrical noise that is in your PC. Aka less likely to hear audible hiss or static and will get clearest cleanest sound.
post #32 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super MANSKITO View Post


Maybe the newer sound cars have better hardware or software for off loading sound processing. I did have an older sound card. I actually pay around with ram disks that's why I have that much and because it was cheap. In any event what I said about $200 invested in other PC sub systems netting more FPS per $ spent is still true.

USB is the best because its plug and play, if you use a sound card or MOBO sound chip the soft ware and or drivers have the potential to become unstable over time and crash. Also glass optical cables can break if over bent and both glass and plastic can get starched easy. USB also has lowest potential for forms of digital distortion and less susceptible to all the electrical noise that is in your PC. Aka less likely to hear audible hiss or static and will get clearest cleanest sound.

 

Can't explain it to you mate why it increases performance, but the theory behind reducing the load off the cpu makes sense, to me at least.

 

RAM disks, those are pretty nifty things.

 

USB requires the use of drivers, drivers can be written poorly and isn't as fast as a hardware implementation (theoretical). They can also crash a computer.  I've seen a lot of the newer dac's/amps use usb but a lot of the more expensive ones don't. Just like the high-end headphones are not USB, but use a 1/4'' jack or some other analog plug. At the same time, this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with USB, USB for a lot of things is convenient.

 

Though, the wear and tear is a legitimate thing, however USB sockets still undergo a fair bit of wear and tear (my current usb socket on my case is litterally falling to bits).

 

I understand the merits of using a USB connection, but i don't think the quality of up to par for the other cables. IMO

post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirectAssault View Post

USB requires the use of drivers, drivers can be written poorly and isn't as fast as a hardware implementation (theoretical). They can also crash a computer. 

So does your sound card, or your motherboards sound chipset.  Just saying...

post #34 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errymoose View Post
 

So does your sound card, or your motherboards sound chipset.  Just saying...

 

Well that was my point kind sir. 

 

Quote:
 USB is the best because its plug and play, if you use a sound card or MOBO sound chip the soft ware and or drivers have the potential to become unstable over time and crash.

 

If you look at Manskito's post he makes it sound like USB doesn't use drivers. I was just stating that they do. And i'll apologize to Manskito if I made an incorrect assumption.

post #35 of 37

some devices just use standard USB drivers, not all require special ones from the manufacturer.  I'll let someone with more knowledge of why this is (I think it's possibly because the DACs I've had that don't require one don't support DSD) explain it if they see this and would like to...

post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectAssault View Post

Can't explain it to you mate why it increases performance, but the theory behind reducing the load off the cpu makes sense, to me at least.

RAM disks, those are pretty nifty things.

USB requires the use of drivers, drivers can be written poorly and isn't as fast as a hardware implementation (theoretical). They can also crash a computer.  I've seen a lot of the newer dac's/amps use usb but a lot of the more expensive ones don't. Just like the high-end headphones are not USB, but use a 1/4'' jack or some other analog plug. At the same time, this doesn't mean there is anything wrong with USB, USB for a lot of things is convenient.

Though, the wear and tear is a legitimate thing, however USB sockets still undergo a fair bit of wear and tear (my current usb socket on my case is litterally falling to bits).

I understand the merits of using a USB connection, but i don't think the quality of up to par for the other cables. IMO

The reason headphones have 1/4 or 1/8th inch a along plugs is because that is the industry standard for stereo headphones. As far as digital audio goes USB is ideal for use from PCs because its less Susceptible to electrical noise and less like to be effected by things like jitter and even if it does it can be easily corrected by pretty much any modern USB DAC. I can literally name like 20+ DACs that have USB. From 100 to 5K plus alot of newer DACs do USB only and forgo optical or coaxial.

USB can use drivers however the Objective DAC does not use drivers. I should of been more clear I was talking about the objective DAC or rather it just uses what ever is native to windows
Edited by Super MANSKITO - 5/27/14 at 9:02pm
post #37 of 37
Any ways bottom line my best advice is read he who must not be named blog. And if you believe in the objective approach to audio gear design then the objective 02 amp/dac combo is basically the best amp money can buy

I can subjectively confirm that it sounds balling out of control.
Edited by Super MANSKITO - 5/27/14 at 9:13pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Beyerdynamic T1's and Sound Cards