or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10 - Page 42

post #616 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

 

The fancy red color and quite pronounced difference in SQ.  It`s not just a marketing thing . . . 

 

Just finished reading all 42 pages so I know it's going to be the 9LTD so far although.................


Dopaminer considering you have the FX-850's can you elaborate on the main differences between them and the CKR 9 regards Lower bass slam, midlushness, treble sparkle and soundstage.

Thanks.


Edited by Cecala - 1/17/15 at 4:14pm
post #617 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter123 View Post


Don't worry I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I hate boomy bass as well but I've fallen in love with the 10's. Best bassy IEM's I've heard by a mile and some;)

 

Peter, just in case you want to buy CKR9 as well, I can confirm that CKR9 is warm but not boomy. I just re-ripped some of my CDs to 16bit 44K FLACs and in fact, I found the bass is lacking on certain albums. I don't have the albums you usually mention, but the one I think is lacking in bass is Lee Ritenour's Color Rit album which is digitally recorded and digitally mixed. But on the other album such as Spyro Gyra's "Got the Magic", the bass is really strong. I find the deep sub bass rumble is spectacular. So it is really album dependent. 

post #618 of 1154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 

Just finished reading all 42 pages so I know it's going to be the 9LTD so far although.................

 

 

Wow... :bigsmile_face:

post #619 of 1154
Does ckr9ltd need burn-in?
So far about 40 hr,I dont feel any improvement.
post #620 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 

Just finished reading all 42 pages so I know it's going to be the 9LTD so far although.................


Dopaminer considering you have the FX-850's can you elaborate on the main differences between them and the CKR 9 regards Lower bass slam, midlushness, treble sparkle and soundstage.

Thanks.


850 has more bass, and it`s good, always good, and sometime revelatory - "I hadn`t noticed that deep frequency before !" has crossed my mind more than once.  Howver, CKR9 can hold its own, but not on as many tracks as the 850.  

 

ANY kind of lushness, the 850 will come on top.

 

Treble sparkle...hmmm. That is a tough call.  Generally, I like the 850`s treble more; the 9 can be harsh sometimes.  Not sibilant, but not pleasant either. ( In my sessions demoing the LTD, that harshness is gone. )  Both bring ample detail to the sound, and much of the trebly bits are sparkly.  

 

Soundstage will obviously go to the 850 - it is freakishly huge.  However, if you have an AK player and your firmware has their recent AKTP5 custom EQ, the CKR9`s soundstage pushes way out like the 850`s.  It`s amazing, and I always use that EQ with my 9s.  

 

I know I`m sounding like an 850 fanboy, and I guess I am guilty as charged.  However they do not isolate, almost not at all IMO, and therefore the CKR9 is my current out and about iem.  The 9 is a great, interesting, almost surprising iem - I highly recommend it.  In fact, mine will be for sale as soon as I get the LTD, and it`s going to be crazy-cheap.     

 

And one more thing which may interest anyone consider the 9, 10 or LTD : the cable is 4-conductor, all the way to the plug.  In other words, you can reterminate to a balanced plug if you want.  I`m going to do mine in AK 2.5mm.  (as is my 850)   I keep thinking there could be some interesting result with the ATH twin-driver arrangement in balanced mode. . . 


Edited by Dopaminer - 1/18/15 at 2:42am
post #621 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontant View Post
 

 

Peter, just in case you want to buy CKR9 as well, I can confirm that CKR9 is warm but not boomy. I just re-ripped some of my CDs to 16bit 44K FLACs and in fact, I found the bass is lacking on certain albums. I don't have the albums you usually mention, but the one I think is lacking in bass is Lee Ritenour's Color Rit album which is digitally recorded and digitally mixed. But on the other album such as Spyro Gyra's "Got the Magic", the bass is really strong. I find the deep sub bass rumble is spectacular. So it is really album dependent. 

Thanks Ron, I've listened to some songs from both albums now and Lee Ritenour sounds just perfect to me on the 10's while Spyro Gyra is a bassy recording although not quite in the same league as the ones I mentioned.. This is from Spotify on my desktop computer where I only use a Udac2 so I'll try to find a place to download them and listen some more. Also a BIG thank you for introducing me to som new interesting artists :beerchug:

post #622 of 1154

Ordered from:

http://store.treoo.com/main/audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ltd-dual-phase-in-ear-earphone.html

 

Where is the cheapest place to buy the JVC Spiral Dots?

 

Was quietly going crazy trying to decide between the Fx850's and the 9's. In  the end I decided that too much warmth is not for me.


Edited by Cecala - 1/19/15 at 6:39pm
post #623 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

 

 

Where is the cheapest place to buy the JVC Spiral Dots?

 

 

 

eBay.

post #624 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

Ordered from:

http://store.treoo.com/main/audio-technica-ath-ckr9-ltd-dual-phase-in-ear-earphone.html

 

Where is the cheapest place to buy the JVC Spiral Dots?

 

Was quietly going crazy trying to decide between the Fx850's and the 9's. In  the end I decided that too much warmth is not for me.


From what I understand, the FX850s are not as useful for everyday use out and about. Lack of isolation and wooden constructione means gotta make sure its safe to take out and about. Thats my understanding anyway. So if you were to have one really great IEM, CKR9 LTD is a wonderful choice, so rest easy knowing you made a great choice :etysmile:

post #625 of 1154

How does the CKR9LTD compare to Fidue A83, They're in a similar Price range.

post #626 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidNighTempest View Post
 

How does the CKR9LTD compare to Fidue A83, They're in a similar Price range.


Compared to the non LTD version, although at least to this person it still comes up on top.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746615/50-iem-brief-review-thread-incl-legend-r-customart-harmony-8-hidition-nt-6-and-aaw-w500/75#post_11169116


Edited by Cecala - 1/22/15 at 8:27pm
post #627 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJohn456 View Post
 


From what I understand, the FX850s are not as useful for everyday use out and about. Lack of isolation and wooden constructione means gotta make sure its safe to take out and about. Thats my understanding anyway. So if you were to have one really great IEM, CKR9 LTD is a wonderful choice, so rest easy knowing you made a great choice :etysmile:


This is true.  850s are for quiet environments; they really don`t isolate at all, useless on trains, city streets or in noisy cafes, etc.  My CKR9 with Spinfit tips, on the other hand, are like earplugs.  I think they are completely sealed, about as good isolation as I`ve heard.  As good as my SE846 if my memory is correct. 

post #628 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 


This is true.  850s are for quiet environments; they really don`t isolate at all, useless on trains, city streets or in noisy cafes, etc.  My CKR9 with Spinfit tips, on the other hand, are like earplugs.  I think they are completely sealed, about as good isolation as I`ve heard.  As good as my SE846 if my memory is correct. 

These Spinfit tips you have, do they affect the sound in any way? I usually find when one achieves a good snug fit, sound quality is compromised.

post #629 of 1154

-


Edited by Love Music - 1/24/15 at 12:21am
post #630 of 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecala View Post
 

These Spinfit tips you have, do they affect the sound in any way? I usually find when one achieves a good snug fit, sound quality is compromised.


Compromised ?  I find that anything but a snug fit compromises sound quality.  I don`t want any gap whatsover anywhere around the tip.  

 

The Spinfits have a flexible tube that doesn`t deform in the ear canal.  They go in a little deeper than most other tips i`ve used : I pull my ear up like I`m inserting an earplug.   They really seem to work as advertised.  They are great for heavier iems, too, like the FX850.    

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Review of Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 & ATH-CKR10