or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ordered the Sennheiser HD 558's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ordered the Sennheiser HD 558's.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

Hi all. New to this forum but I figured I'd join to hear some input.

 

I ordered the Sennheiser HD 558's off Amazon since my old Sennheiser 220's broke recently. (They were cheaply made)

 

I also own the ATH-M50's and they're pretty good. I might try Momentum's in the future when I get more money as well.

 

I have a few questions: Anyone here owned/own 558's? What do you think of them? Are the Sennheiser HD 558's good/worth it? And do the 558's sound better than the M50's?

 

Thanks. :)

post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened7 View Post
 

Hi all. New to this forum but I figured I'd join to hear some input.

I ordered the Sennheiser HD 558's off Amazon since my old Sennheiser 220's broke recently. (They were cheaply made)

I also own the ATH-M50's and they're pretty good. I might try Momentum's in the future when I get more money as well.

I have a few questions: Anyone here owned/own 558's? What do you think of them? Are the Sennheiser HD 558's good/worth it? And do the 558's sound better than the M50's?

 

The HD558s should sound different then the ATH-M50s.

The HD558s will have less bass and not so much of a "in your face" type sound, compared to the ATH-M50s.

But in all other areas the HD558s should do better.

Hopefully you will remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s, as it makes the HD558s sound a little more like the HD598s.

post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

The HD558s should sound different then the ATH-M50s.

The HD558s will have less bass and not so much of a "in your face" type sound, compared to the ATH-M50s.

But in all other areas the HD558s should do better.

Hopefully you will remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups of the HD558s, as it makes the HD558s sound a little more like the HD598s.

Thanks for the info.

 

One question: What do you mean by removing the tape to make it sound like 598? Please explain? 

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened7 View Post
 

Thanks for the info.

 

One question: What do you mean by removing the tape to make it sound like 598? Please explain? 

 

With the HD558, Sennheiser put black rubber tape on the insides of the cups and the tape covers about 40% of the air holes.

So removing the tape makes the HD558 more open, making the HD558 somewhat more sounding (but not exactly) like the HD598.

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver.

I'm assuming (guessing) Sennheiser added the tape to give the HD558s more bass and slightly crippling the mids and treble of the HD558.

Guessing Sennheiser want to make sure the HD558 did not give the HD598 too much competition.

post #5 of 24

I thought the Sennheiser HD 558's had a more rich-acoustic mid and less bass. Or are you saying the tape just lessens it , in comparison to it's full ability. 

post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableFrost View Post
 

I thought the Sennheiser HD 558's had a more rich-acoustic mid and less bass. Or are you saying the tape just lessens it , in comparison to it's full ability. 

 

From my understanding the HD518 have the most bass, the HD598s the least bass and the HD558s are in the middle.

post #7 of 24

I didn't like the 558 much because it lacks of bass. I was listening to 558, 650 and Beyer DT990. 650 sounded the best, deep bass and great mids as well.

post #8 of 24

I ended up here because I'm trying to decide whether or not to make the purchase for them since I enjoy really hearing the instruments ( violin , piano , and what have you  ) over bass. I'm new so I don't full grasp everything to look for and understand.

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableFrost View Post
 

I ended up here because I'm trying to decide whether or not to make the purchase for them since I enjoy really hearing the instruments ( violin , piano , and what have you  ) over bass. I'm new so I don't full grasp everything to look for and understand.

 

You can always return the HD558 if they are not to your liking.

Try running music (somewhat loud) thru them over night (under a blanket), a few times, make sure your hearing them at there best, before deciding.

post #10 of 24

Potentially being my first pair of "serious" headphones I sure hope its worth my few bucks.

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbominableFrost View Post
 

I ended up here because I'm trying to decide whether or not to make the purchase for them since I enjoy really hearing the instruments ( violin , piano , and what have you  ) over bass. I'm new so I don't full grasp everything to look for and understand.

That's why I got them. Excited to try them. Should be good.

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

 

With the HD558, Sennheiser put black rubber tape on the insides of the cups and the tape covers about 40% of the air holes.

So removing the tape makes the HD558 more open, making the HD558 somewhat more sounding (but not exactly) like the HD598.

The HD558 and HD598 use the same driver.

I'm assuming (guessing) Sennheiser added the tape to give the HD558s more bass and slightly crippling the mids and treble of the HD558.

Guessing Sennheiser want to make sure the HD558 did not give the HD598 too much competition.

Cool. I may try that out. Thanks.

post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torai View Post
 

I didn't like the 558 much because it lacks of bass. I was listening to 558, 650 and Beyer DT990. 650 sounded the best, deep bass and great mids as well.

But did they sound better than the M50's? And how clear are the 558's? And how much better are the 650's compared to the 558's?

post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 

I got them today! Wow, they sound really nice. :) I wonder if I should get the Momentum's or 650's next.

post #15 of 24

Grats, and lucky you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Ordered the Sennheiser HD 558's.