I am curious what song people first try when they get a new pair of headphones to determine if they sound good.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Acknowledgment Thanks @PhilW for loaning me these headphones for a week. I know how much you missed them. Introduction After being so impressed with the ERIB-2a (link to review), @PhilW told me...
What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?post #1 of 125/24/14 at 5:51pmThread Starterpost #2 of 125/24/14 at 6:06pm
So:Lo by Kate Havnevik
Enter the Lovely by Bluetech is also great:
Honestly it takes more than one track to really figure out what may be going right or wrong with a headphone. I use the Ayre Irrational But Efficacious CD to look at headphones technically.post #3 of 125/24/14 at 6:20pmpost #4 of 125/24/14 at 6:26pmFirth of Fifth by Genesis off "Selling England by the Pound". http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0&feature=kp
Begins with a great piano solo followed by Peter Gabriel's voice, a beautiful flute solo then Steve Hackett's greatest guitar solo.post #5 of 125/24/14 at 6:30pmpost #6 of 125/24/14 at 6:56pmpost #7 of 125/24/14 at 7:54pmThread Starterpost #8 of 125/24/14 at 8:01pmpost #9 of 125/24/14 at 8:14pmThread Starterpost #10 of 125/24/14 at 8:21pm
1) "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone," Band of Heathens: listened for a) difference between both position and voice of vocalist on first verse vs. second; b) clarity of bass glissando in third and subsequent verses; also listen for tonality vs. "thump" on the bass drum and for transparency and sound stage size;
If I'm allowed to list the others of my test set...
2) "Spanish Harlem" sung by Rebecca Pidgeon on the Chesky "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" (track 3): listened for a) moistness of plosive consonants (e.g., p in "Spanish"); b) quality of maracas (shaker) that begins in Verse 3... is each shake a bit different, as suggested by the narrative introducing the test?; c) position and uncertainty of position (size of "blob") of those maracas in the sound stage;
3) "Saint Saens Sympony No. # - Organ Symphony," Lorin Maazel & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Sony Records, Movement IV: listened for the calliope-like reinforcement of the organ chord by the orchestra 3-1/2 beats later, on the 3rd "verse" where the organ rejoins the orchestra and leads the theme (about 1:16 min in). Barely audible on this recording, though much clearer on another recording by Charles Munch;
4) "Throwback" by B.o.B. -- listen to the intensity of the lowest C on the piano (32 Hz) that starts occurring about 34 sec into the song.post #11 of 125/25/14 at 11:34amQuote:
Couldn't have said it any better myself.post #12 of 125/26/14 at 12:17pm
But, but, but...
- "All the songs I like" have been given 5 stars in my iTunes library;
- iTunes informs me that that set comprises 171 songs;
- iTunes further informs me that it takes 13 hours and 35 minutes to play;
- My audio store is only open from 11 am to 7 pm... just 8 hours.
What am I to do????
- What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 47 seconds ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 3 minutes ago
- › Improving headphone comfort (audio technica specifically) 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › DQSM IEM Impressions / Easy Earphones Impressions 8 minutes ago
- › TOTL HP Shootout 2: Abyss, HEK, HEX, HD800S, HD800 Heavy Mod, HD800... 8 minutes ago
- › Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier 8 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by puccipaolo
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Aornic
- › oBravo EAMT-3w Hybrid Dynamic Driver and Heil Air Motion Transducer... by glassmonkey
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...