I am curious what song people first try when they get a new pair of headphones to determine if they sound good.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 2/17/15 at 1:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
The price to performance ratio of the HiFiMan HE-400 is truly exceptional. The clamping force of new head band is tight and requires break-in. I prefer the the plush pads over stock pads for...
They are a very good option. The sound is natural, they are comfortable to use. The only con I have with it is the included cable that is too long and bulky (if you want to listen them connected...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I must admit, until recently, I was not aware of the Master and Dynamic brand. I had heard about them on the forums, but never really read anything about them. Their recent model MH40 is their...
For larger views of any photo - please click for access to 1200 x 800 images INTRODUCTION I’ve only recently heard about thinksound™ audio, and before Head-Fi user d marc0 contacted me, I’d...
What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?post #1 of 125/24/14 at 5:51pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 125/24/14 at 6:06pm
So:Lo by Kate Havnevik
Enter the Lovely by Bluetech is also great:
Honestly it takes more than one track to really figure out what may be going right or wrong with a headphone. I use the Ayre Irrational But Efficacious CD to look at headphones technically.post #3 of 125/24/14 at 6:20pmpost #4 of 125/24/14 at 6:26pmFirth of Fifth by Genesis off "Selling England by the Pound". http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0&feature=kp
Begins with a great piano solo followed by Peter Gabriel's voice, a beautiful flute solo then Steve Hackett's greatest guitar solo.post #5 of 125/24/14 at 6:30pmpost #6 of 125/24/14 at 6:56pmpost #7 of 125/24/14 at 7:54pmThread Starterpost #8 of 125/24/14 at 8:01pmpost #9 of 125/24/14 at 8:14pmThread Starterpost #10 of 125/24/14 at 8:21pm
1) "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone," Band of Heathens: listened for a) difference between both position and voice of vocalist on first verse vs. second; b) clarity of bass glissando in third and subsequent verses; also listen for tonality vs. "thump" on the bass drum and for transparency and sound stage size;
If I'm allowed to list the others of my test set...
2) "Spanish Harlem" sung by Rebecca Pidgeon on the Chesky "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" (track 3): listened for a) moistness of plosive consonants (e.g., p in "Spanish"); b) quality of maracas (shaker) that begins in Verse 3... is each shake a bit different, as suggested by the narrative introducing the test?; c) position and uncertainty of position (size of "blob") of those maracas in the sound stage;
3) "Saint Saens Sympony No. # - Organ Symphony," Lorin Maazel & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Sony Records, Movement IV: listened for the calliope-like reinforcement of the organ chord by the orchestra 3-1/2 beats later, on the 3rd "verse" where the organ rejoins the orchestra and leads the theme (about 1:16 min in). Barely audible on this recording, though much clearer on another recording by Charles Munch;
4) "Throwback" by B.o.B. -- listen to the intensity of the lowest C on the piano (32 Hz) that starts occurring about 34 sec into the song.post #11 of 125/25/14 at 11:34amQuote:
Couldn't have said it any better myself.post #12 of 125/26/14 at 12:17pm
But, but, but...
- "All the songs I like" have been given 5 stars in my iTunes library;
- iTunes informs me that that set comprises 171 songs;
- iTunes further informs me that it takes 13 hours and 35 minutes to play;
- My audio store is only open from 11 am to 7 pm... just 8 hours.
What am I to do????
- What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Band Name Game II 1 second ago
- › SilverFi IEM Cables Worldwide Audition Tour - Limited Number of... 15 seconds ago
- › CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread 22 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 51 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › Out Of Your Head - new virtual surround simulator 1 minute ago
- › FS: Philips Fidelio X2 [Australia] 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › NVX XPT100 (HM5 clone) - nonexistent bass, tinny and artificial... 6 minutes ago
- › Burson Conductor Virtuoso Thread. 6 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Stereocilia
- › Sennheiser HD 518 by Tiby
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 by lin0003
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Brooko
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Gia Bao
- › Pro-Ject Audio DAC Box E Entry Level DAC Black by LugBug1
- › Final Audio Design Heaven Viii by newzild
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by hodgjy
- › Shanling M3 Portable Digital Audio Player by YoYo JoKeR
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2