I am curious what song people first try when they get a new pair of headphones to determine if they sound good.
- categoryHeadphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/13/14
Related Forum Threads
- Help my dad find a nice set of cans.... Last post on 2/26/15 at 10:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can a headphone Y splitter damage my headphones? Last post on 11/27/15 at 7:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- Jecklin Float One versus Jecklin Float Two - What's the difference Last post on 2/11/15 at 4:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone help! Last post on 2/11/15 at 2:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
- New headphones recommendations Last post on 2/15/15 at 4:29pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I first started with the ath a900x which i fell in love with. Recently they broke, and i did not have the money to purchases them again or the newer model. So i took a chance and got the a550z, for...
-Introduction- RHA is an interesting company. It has forged its own place within the audiophile world, making a name for itself based on the industrial design language of its products and the...
Welcome to the review of wireless + Wired High resolution in ear monitors Advanced Model 3. Disclaimer: This headphones were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
In 1976 two engineering students at Cambridge University with a passion for electronics and music founded Amplification and Recording Cambridge (Arcam). In 1988 they produced the first...
What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?post #1 of 125/24/14 at 5:51pmThread Starter
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2 of 125/24/14 at 6:06pm
So:Lo by Kate Havnevik
Enter the Lovely by Bluetech is also great:
Honestly it takes more than one track to really figure out what may be going right or wrong with a headphone. I use the Ayre Irrational But Efficacious CD to look at headphones technically.post #3 of 125/24/14 at 6:20pmpost #4 of 125/24/14 at 6:26pmFirth of Fifth by Genesis off "Selling England by the Pound". http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0&feature=kp
Begins with a great piano solo followed by Peter Gabriel's voice, a beautiful flute solo then Steve Hackett's greatest guitar solo.post #5 of 125/24/14 at 6:30pmpost #6 of 125/24/14 at 6:56pmpost #7 of 125/24/14 at 7:54pmThread Starterpost #8 of 125/24/14 at 8:01pmpost #9 of 125/24/14 at 8:14pmThread Starterpost #10 of 125/24/14 at 8:21pm
1) "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone," Band of Heathens: listened for a) difference between both position and voice of vocalist on first verse vs. second; b) clarity of bass glissando in third and subsequent verses; also listen for tonality vs. "thump" on the bass drum and for transparency and sound stage size;
If I'm allowed to list the others of my test set...
2) "Spanish Harlem" sung by Rebecca Pidgeon on the Chesky "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" (track 3): listened for a) moistness of plosive consonants (e.g., p in "Spanish"); b) quality of maracas (shaker) that begins in Verse 3... is each shake a bit different, as suggested by the narrative introducing the test?; c) position and uncertainty of position (size of "blob") of those maracas in the sound stage;
3) "Saint Saens Sympony No. # - Organ Symphony," Lorin Maazel & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Sony Records, Movement IV: listened for the calliope-like reinforcement of the organ chord by the orchestra 3-1/2 beats later, on the 3rd "verse" where the organ rejoins the orchestra and leads the theme (about 1:16 min in). Barely audible on this recording, though much clearer on another recording by Charles Munch;
4) "Throwback" by B.o.B. -- listen to the intensity of the lowest C on the piano (32 Hz) that starts occurring about 34 sec into the song.post #11 of 125/25/14 at 11:34amQuote:
Couldn't have said it any better myself.post #12 of 125/26/14 at 12:17pm
But, but, but...
- "All the songs I like" have been given 5 stars in my iTunes library;
- iTunes informs me that that set comprises 171 songs;
- iTunes further informs me that it takes 13 hours and 35 minutes to play;
- My audio store is only open from 11 am to 7 pm... just 8 hours.
What am I to do????
- What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 7 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 35 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 1 minute ago
- › Corny Jokes - the more the merrier 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output) 1 minute ago
- › IBasso Audio IT03 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Westone ES50 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › RHA T20 by Cinder
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Panasonic sealed earphone high-res sound source Silver RP-HDE10-S by Ralphee
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...