I am curious what song people first try when they get a new pair of headphones to determine if they sound good.
What is your go-to song to test out a new pair of headphones ?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
So:Lo by Kate Havnevik
Enter the Lovely by Bluetech is also great:
Honestly it takes more than one track to really figure out what may be going right or wrong with a headphone. I use the Ayre Irrational But Efficacious CD to look at headphones technically.
- 1,279 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Location: Scottsdale Arizona and Washington D.C.
- Select All Posts By This User
Begins with a great piano solo followed by Peter Gabriel's voice, a beautiful flute solo then Steve Hackett's greatest guitar solo.
1) "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone," Band of Heathens: listened for a) difference between both position and voice of vocalist on first verse vs. second; b) clarity of bass glissando in third and subsequent verses; also listen for tonality vs. "thump" on the bass drum and for transparency and sound stage size;
If I'm allowed to list the others of my test set...
2) "Spanish Harlem" sung by Rebecca Pidgeon on the Chesky "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" (track 3): listened for a) moistness of plosive consonants (e.g., p in "Spanish"); b) quality of maracas (shaker) that begins in Verse 3... is each shake a bit different, as suggested by the narrative introducing the test?; c) position and uncertainty of position (size of "blob") of those maracas in the sound stage;
3) "Saint Saens Sympony No. # - Organ Symphony," Lorin Maazel & Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Sony Records, Movement IV: listened for the calliope-like reinforcement of the organ chord by the orchestra 3-1/2 beats later, on the 3rd "verse" where the organ rejoins the orchestra and leads the theme (about 1:16 min in). Barely audible on this recording, though much clearer on another recording by Charles Munch;
4) "Throwback" by B.o.B. -- listen to the intensity of the lowest C on the piano (32 Hz) that starts occurring about 34 sec into the song.
But, but, but...
- "All the songs I like" have been given 5 stars in my iTunes library;
- iTunes informs me that that set comprises 171 songs;
- iTunes further informs me that it takes 13 hours and 35 minutes to play;
- My audio store is only open from 11 am to 7 pm... just 8 hours.
What am I to do????