Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Should source types really be separate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should source types really be separate? - Page 2

post #16 of 29

Sub-forums...

Over at www.ocforums.com (computer overclocking web forum), they have a CPU forum with AMD and Intel subforum. In the CPU forum, they discuss the differences between AMD and Intel, which platform works best for which situation, and CPUs that aren't from AMD or Intel, and of course in the Intel and AMD sub-forums they discuss only that type of CPU. Why can't we do something like that here with a Source forum and computer-as-source and standalone source sub-forums?
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Over at www.ocforums.com (computer overclocking web forum), they have a CPU forum with AMD and Intel subforum. In the CPU forum, they discuss the differences between AMD and Intel, which platform works best for which situation, and CPUs that aren't from AMD or Intel, and of course in the Intel and AMD sub-forums they discuss only that type of CPU. Why can't we do something like that here with a Source forum and computer-as-source and standalone source sub-forums?
Because it would take up too much space, and we would not have enough traffic in either the main forum or the subfora to justify their separation.
post #18 of 29
Jasper: I was against it, as I'm equally interested in both approaches...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Should source types really be separate?
yes, lots of head-fiers use computer sources and there are lots of computer related problems popping up everyday
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lini
Jasper: I was against it, as I'm equally interested in both approaches...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I agree, I'm computer based right now because of space requirements and convienence. While I really like my E-MU, I am very interested in some of the higher end universal players and CDP's. In the future, when space doesn't come at such a premium, I will likely have both... Unless of course, computer sources get to the point where you can't justify stand alones...
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper994
Unless of course, computer sources get to the point where you can't justify stand alones...
Though it may be only conjecture at this point in time, I think I may already have such, at least as far as redbook is concerned

Anyway, I like the seperate fora, for the sake of not having to listen to people whine about why there are so many PC audio threads, or how PC audio sucks, and so on ad naseum. I can see your complaint Aaron, but I think overall this way is better, since there are so many issues related to computer sources that don't even apply to stand-alone players (especially software/setup related), this way the source forum that one wants is much easier to navigate. I could see a seperate vinyl forum if there was sufficient traffic, for the same reason, that there are so many issues involved that have little to nothing to do with CD players/DAC's. That is really the only other bifrucation of fora that I could see being applicable to head-fi as it is currently configured, however now it is obviously not nescessary, as much as some people like Tim and fewtch would likely enjoy it.
post #22 of 29
this is what i have to say to seperate source sections: "WOOHOO"

(well, maybe that was a little exagerated)

but when i started out, a while back, looking for computer source information it was very difficult with the search down and what not. then i found all that i needed about computer sources and my interest shifted to standalone players. and with the release of emu, more people were beginning to post and ask a lot fo questions about that and other soundcards. made it more difficult as these posts became emergent.

anyways, this was greatly needed and have been requested for awhile now.

thanks!
post #23 of 29
I like the separate but equal forums.

I would've been really annoyed if computer-as-a-source was a subforum.

This is the better way to go.

Now we can have a rule of no "pc audio sucks" posts here. Woohoo!

-Ed
post #24 of 29
Also....

A stickied FAQ on links to sites dedicated to PC hardware and software issues not directly related to computer audio would help greatly.

-Ed
post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood

Now we can have a rule of no "pc audio sucks" posts here. Woohoo!

-Ed
Good rule Ed! I suppose you guys have some really good points, and anyway, what's done is done.

Maybe we should start a thread that we keep at the top so it shows up when you look at the Equipment Category list that says Stand Alone players suck!!! ...jk
post #26 of 29
Are you guys still talking about this ??
post #27 of 29
An issue arises when something is not clearly standalone or computer. Take DACs, for example. It could be argued both ways. Some would say that the're used with a CD transport and thus standalone. Others use them from soundcard outputs, which would make DACs computer sources. Maybe a FAQ on what belongs in which, for stuff like DACs that isn't really either.
post #28 of 29
Since it's been generally agreed that source types should be seperate, could we have a link to the computer-as-source forum on the main page?
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Since it's been generally agreed that source types should be seperate, could we have a link to the computer-as-source forum on the main page?
That'll happen on the next front page update. Since front page updates happen so infrequently lately, I'd suggest signing up for ChangeAlarm (at the top-left corner of the front page) to be notified when it does change.




_____
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Should source types really be separate?