or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD558,YOUR experiences and opinions!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD558,YOUR experiences and opinions!

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Let me know what you think about them! I'm considering purchasing them for $120 New as an upgrade from my HD518's. (Got the 518's for $80)
post #2 of 46
Thread Starter 
I also plan on doing the foam/tape/rubber mod to the 558's. I've seen it called all 3 so I'm not exactly sure what it is but yeah,you get the point.
post #3 of 46
Thread Starter 
What I don't like about the 518's,
-Too uncomfortable (Clamp too hard,pads too stiff,yes they've been broken in)
-Soundstage too small,but still slightly decent.
-Some of the details I'm my music aren't very prominent.
-Vocals are iffy.
post #4 of 46
Thread Starter 
Someone. Anyone. Haven't been able to really find any comparisons between the 518's and 558's. At least with info I want
post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post

What I don't like about the 518's,
-Too uncomfortable (Clamp too hard,pads too stiff,yes they've been broken in)
-Soundstage too small,but still slightly decent.
-Some of the details I'm my music aren't very prominent.
-Vocals are iffy.

 

I have had both.  IMO, the sound signature between the two is very close.

 

--The headband design is virtually the same so if you think the 518s are too clampy (I don't by the way) then you will probably think the 558s are clampy also.

--Soundstage is slightly better on the 558 but only because there is more of an emphasis on mids and highs on the 558 (it is brighter than the 518).

--Details will improve a bit.

--Vocals will improve a bit.

 

However, having said all that, to my ears, there is very little difference in the sound quality between the 518 and 558.  518 is a tad basser, 558 is a tad brighter.

 

Oh, and the infamous "foam mod" is a myth.  If you want a 598, buy the 598.  Removing the foam from the inner ear cups of the 558 will NOT turn your 558 into a 598.

post #6 of 46

Of the three headphones, HD518, HD558, HD598, I would assume the HD518 are sold as the "bassy" ones.

I would assume Sennheiser made the HD518 more bassy by crippling the HD518's mids and treble.

Currently Amazon is selling a "Used-like New" HD558 for $86 + 5.49 shipping.

post #7 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochie View Post

I have had both.  IMO, the sound signature between the two is very close.

--The headband design is virtually the same so if you think the 518s are too clampy (I don't by the way) then you will probably think the 558s are clampy also.
--Soundstage is slightly better on the 558 but only because there is more of an emphasis on mids and highs on the 558 (it is brighter than the 518).
--Details will improve a bit.
--Vocals will improve a bit.

However, having said all that, to my ears, there is very little difference in the sound quality between the 518 and 558.  518 is a tad basser, 558 is a tad brighter.

Oh, and the infamous "foam mod" is a myth.  If you want a 598, buy the 598.  Removing the foam from the inner ear cups of the 558 will NOT turn your 558 into a 598.
What's is/was your source for the 518's and 558's?
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyboy420x View Post


What's is/was your source for the 518's and 558's?


Before: Asus Xonar DG sound card

Now: Asus Xonar Essence ST Sound Card

post #9 of 46

I had 558 some time back.  It is quite nice, you might find it to have an uncomfortable vice-grip depending on how large your head is.  Soundstaging is quite good, make sure that you aim the center of each driver into the entrace of each of your ears for best sound and soundstaging.  It is one of the few headphones that I've heard that is rather peculiar about that.  I wanted to keep them for the heck of it, but then I would pick up my tricked out K701 and completely forget about 558, hahaha.

Removing the foam brightens and tightens the sound.  If the increased brightens doesn't bother you, then the modification is a slight and worthwhile upgrade.

post #10 of 46
Thread Starter 
What genres of music do you all listen to?
post #11 of 46

I mostly listen to acoustic and electronic.

post #12 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I mostly listen to acoustic and electronic.
So not exactly the same purpose I'd be using them for..
post #13 of 46

I ordered the 558's. I hope they're good. :) Or at least better than M50's! Haha.

post #14 of 46
Thread Starter 
The M50's were my first headphone,then I got rid of them and got the 518's. In a way it's an upgrade,but in another way it was a bit of a downgrade. Upgrade because they're much more comfy(Still uncomfy,but the M50's were horrid),soundstage is bigger,better for Classical music (My main music). Downgrade because the M50's have much better SQ,much clearer sound and are better for just about every type of music (except Classical,Rock,Metal,I found the M50's to perform badly here mainly because the soundstage is so awful and instruments all sound cramped and muddled. If the 558's are fairly similar to the 518's like was said above,you should get basically the same results I did switching from the M50's. Except you should expect about the same SQ from the two,unlike when I switched (Mainly because the M50's are almost $100 more than the 518's,they were bound to be better in that department.) But if you mainly listen to Classical,Opera,dab into a little Rock here and there and hate the super cramped sound of the M50's then I think you'll find the 558's much better. If you listen to Rap,Pop,Electronic (Dubstep,etc..) I'd definitley stick with the M50's and purchase another headphone,namely NOT the 558's. You probably do,atleast I hope but you are making the switch from closed back to open back here. I've read countless reviews from people who purchase open back cans not knowing what an open back headphone is and giving a bad review because they use them for public use. I have not heard the 558's yet,so take what I just said with a grain of salt but based on my expireince with the 518's,and if the 558's really are that similar to them then you should expect similar results.
And if you want my opinion on the M50's..well. Great sound quality,good lower end,decent highs with sh*tty mids,soundstage and comofort. Overall decent,but I really hated them. The Sennheisers and M50's have a TOTALLY different sound signature. I found the M50's to be extremely bright and harsh compared to the 518's! The 518's (and 558's I presume) are quite a bit warmer,darker and have a laid back sound which is very easy to listen to. I don't know if you've got one because the M50's never needed one,but I'd definitely purchase an amp if you don't already have one. While only 50 Ohms,they're still gonna be worth amping. I found with the 518's they much lacked volume without amping (First sign they need an amp) and overall almost everything else was improved after. I use the E11,it doesn't make much of a difference but it's cheap. I'm gonna upgrade to the E12 and hopefully get some better results there. Build quality on the M50's is actually much better too. The Senns feel quite plasticy and cheap. Although I don't believe they will break,they definitley could and will under just a little abuse. Old models are known for breaking,which means Sennheiser probably makes these headphones now just above crap standards to where they won't break easily. Audio Technica went above and beyond and built the M50's very well.
Edited by Lazyboy420x - 5/26/14 at 4:15am
post #15 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

I had 558 some time back.  It is quite nice, you might find it to have an uncomfortable vice-grip depending on how large your head is.  Soundstaging is quite good, make sure that you aim the center of each driver into the entrace of each of your ears for best sound and soundstaging.  It is one of the few headphones that I've heard that is rather peculiar about that.  I wanted to keep them for the heck of it, but then I would pick up my tricked out K701 and completely forget about 558, hahaha.
Removing the foam brightens and tightens the sound.  If the increased brightens doesn't bother you, then the modification is a slight and worthwhile upgrade.
I was going to get the Q701,I've read many places there's virtually no difference at all between the Q701 and K701. But anyways I was going to get those,then I read recently they started making them in china where the quality of them was reduced quite a bit so I was no longer interested. I do like the looks of them though smily_headphones1.gif maybe I can find a non-Chinese made version here on the forums eventually..
Edited by Lazyboy420x - 5/26/14 at 4:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD558,YOUR experiences and opinions!