Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50 vs DT770
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

M50 vs DT770

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I just bought both m50 and dt770 as I wanted to try a closed back headphone. I am new to this the most expensive headphones I ever owned before this was apple in-ear which are pretty good for the price IMO. Anyways I have had the m50 for a while and LOVE it, the dt 770 is 32 ohm impedence and I thought wouldn't need an amp but I think it does. It lacks in many aspects compared to the m50, so should I return it and get a 250 ohm with an amp? Also, I burned in the m50 which people have told me does nothing and am wondering if I need to burn in the dt770. A lot of questions I know, also I am up for other recomendations for good closed ear headphones. I listen to lots of folk, classical, electronic, and pretty much everything. 

post #2 of 11

Where are you plugging your headphones to?

 

As far as i know the most popular option is the DT770 80 ohm version, as it sounds better for bassy genres but needs decent driving power. 

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 

Just an ipod or my computer. Would the fiio e17 work? I am thinking the 250 ohm version, what is the difference between 250, 80 and 32 if you were to be using a portable amp? I actually feel like the m50 is a bit too bass heavy,  I am hearing a lot of things on the dt770 in the higher and mid frequency range that are just beautiful. I think all closed back are typically more bass heavy.

post #4 of 11

The E17 should do.  An ipod has a wussy headphone amplifier, and M50 is particularly efficient, so the ATH has an advantage.  Remember to use a audio line-out dock with the ipod to feed the E17 for best sound, then you can also use the E17 as an upgrade "soundcard" with your computer.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 

I just ordered the e12 which should work as well, but my ipod doesn't have a 30 pin connector it is that stupid thunderbolt or whatever. Is there a line out for that connection? Also is there a line out for a usb (for my computer or android devices)?

post #6 of 11

Tingtongtay, I was also trying to decide between the 770's and M50's. Having the opportunity to listen to my friends M50's multiple times and the 770's at my local guitar center, I went with the 770's. IMO, they are much more comfortable and have nice sounding bass to my ears. I power them from my iPhone 5s no amp and they sound fine for my listening tastes.

post #7 of 11
I had the m50 for quite some time and have the dt770 from a friend. The beyerdynamic is more comfortable and overall more musical I would say. It's better than the m50 not by a landslide but better.

Cheers,
K
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingtongtay View Post
 

I just ordered the e12 which should work as well, but my ipod doesn't have a 30 pin connector it is that stupid thunderbolt or whatever. Is there a line out for that connection? Also is there a line out for a usb (for my computer or android devices)?

 

The thunderbolt devices don't have audio line-out, but it might be possible to use a very short USB-thunderbolt cable to plug the ipod into a DAC/amplifier combo like the E17 and get even better sound by bypassing the ipod's DAC.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
 

 

The thunderbolt devices don't have audio line-out, but it might be possible to use a very short USB-thunderbolt cable to plug the ipod into a DAC/amplifier combo like the E17 and get even better sound by bypassing the ipod's DAC.

I can't imagine it is that much better, I am starting to realize that the perception of 'better' on many headphones is just preference. I really don't know if I am a fan of the DT770, but I will try it with the fiio e12. I hope that apple gives right to make a thunderbolt line-out, I think I will just wait for that. But is there a fiio usb line-out? One I could use for my computer or android devices?

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingtongtay View Post
 

I can't imagine it is that much better, I am starting to realize that the perception of 'better' on many headphones is just preference. I really don't know if I am a fan of the DT770, but I will try it with the fiio e12. I hope that apple gives right to make a thunderbolt line-out, I think I will just wait for that. But is there a fiio usb line-out? One I could use for my computer or android devices?

 

True, it is not a day and night difference, like many things.  Some people don't mind mildly shrill highs, flabby or sterile bass, or a veiled midrange, so it is all a matter of preference.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
 

 

True, it is not a day and night difference, like many things.  Some people don't mind mildly shrill highs, flabby or sterile bass, or a veiled midrange, so it is all a matter of preference.

I'm not sure if that was a slam or not, but in either case I feel like the m50 performs better if the song stays in the lower range. It has a better bass and lower frequency tone but it can wash out the upper range on a song. I will see how the DT770  does with the amp though. Any advice on other headphones? Also I hate to ask again but are their usb line out connectors? I have not seen any. Also, is there any way to use the thunderbolt as a line out (USB adapter etc.)?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › M50 vs DT770