I'm usually not gun shy about hp's and pulling the trigger. But I can't seem to make a decision here and would appreciate some help. Maybe it's because of the price. I've never spent $1k+ on a pair of hp's. Ever. Here are my random thoughts that have been circulating in my head for the past week. My chain is uberfrost>lyr (telefunkens), crack (ts5998) and hp's. My only current hp is the hd650. The price discrepancy is inconsequential. My music library is 60% flac, 30% hi-res and 10% mp3-320.
1. After being in the hp game for several years, one thing that has become paramount to me is comfort. Comfort is King. I've auditioned both of these hp's and I find the hd800 supremely comfy and the lcd2 not very comfortable.
2. The lcd2 is certainly closer to my preferred signature. I like darker hp's with good mids and good bass extension...not bloomy though...textured bass with a slight warm tilt is what I like best. I've auditioned the lcd2 twice once...once pre-fazor and one with fazor. I liked the pre-fazor better. I can still get a pre-fazor pair NIB, maybe. I worry that the current iteration of the lcd2 gets too far away from my preferred signature.
3. I auditoned the hd800 once before when I had the lyr. I didn't find the pairing very good, but neither do most people. I feel that that crack is much better suited to bring out the best in the hd800 as opposed to the lyr.
4. The hd650 with the crack is a very very good hp. But maybe it's just too close to the lcd2 to be a truly "complementary" second hp. The lcd2 is certainly better at everything minus the comfort factor. But is it different enough or rather better enough?
5. Recently I added a borrowed "quickie' pre-amp to the chain and was really impressed with what it did for the sub bass on the hd650...very impressed. My concern is that the hd800 bass won't hit hard enough and that it might sound bright but possibly with the crack and quickie it would be more than good enough.
All help and suggestions are appreciated.