or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help recommend my next headphone ($400-600) and amp! ($200-350)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help recommend my next headphone ($400-600) and amp! ($200-350) - Page 2

post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post

Sorry, I meant threads and posts that had people with both amps and many claimed the M-Stage was better. Sorry for the confusion. rolleyes.gif (Really me?) However, the reception for the Asgard 2 appears to be fairly good with reservations with some saying there are reliability problems.

Here are some posts I found:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507247/matrix-m-stage-vs-schiit-asgard-has-anyone-compared-them-yet
http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent/1695#post_7464647
http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent/690#post_6830303

That's pretty old research. It's all for the Asgard, not the Asgard 2.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

Really? Cool, I'll have to check out some impressions and the like for the Audio GD unit. I've ordered from China before which took a month even with paying the fastest shipment and it was an overall nightmare so I'm not too keen on international shipping but I'm definitely considering it now thanks to you and PurpleAngel. Thanks! 

 

BTW, do you know of any headphone suggestions? :D

Yea I know the feeling, thankfully King Wa Charges you like $35 dollars so you can get it in 3 days as far as headphones goes the NFB 15 is a rather warm organic sounding unit, I'd honestly shoot for the HE 4, you can still get a hold of it I think! I have and and I love it, the price is about $450 new, still you may find a used one for less. You could also try the Beyer Dyanmic DT 880, it's not as good as the HE 4 but it's about half the price, and sounds well about 90% as good imo 


Edited by Mshenay - 5/14/14 at 11:24pm
post #18 of 32

Based on what you're looking for, I would have recommended HE500 but I can't recommend it to anyone because it's too heavy. So maybe HE400i will be right for you. I'm wondering how well it will pair with an Emotiva mini-x set up.

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

Based on what you're looking for, I would have recommended HE500 but I can't recommend it to anyone because it's too heavy. So maybe HE400i will be right for you. I'm wondering how well it will pair with an Emotiva mini-x set up.

Yea he has a good point, shame on my for skimming over your first post :/, the HE 4 is BRIGHT! 

 

the 400i should be right up your alley! When it get's launched 

post #20 of 32
Thread Starter 

Have any of you had the pleasure to listen to the HD 600's? If so, could you put some suggestions out? Thanks!

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post

Have any of you had the pleasure to listen to the HD 600's? If so, could you put some suggestions out? Thanks!

It's my favorite in production model, but it doesn't have the sub-bass you want.
post #22 of 32
I used to own a pair. It is true it won't have the sub-bass you seek. It has incredible detail and neutrality. They have a fantastic soundstage too! A really perfect clean open pair of cans, for the price they're incredible. They have clear, natural mids which sound great but doesn't have as much mid bass or warmth for a thicker forward mid range. For what you're looking for, these would be not bad but are a bit lacking in some areas you like.
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post

I used to own a pair. It is true it won't have the sub-bass you seek. It has incredible detail and neutrality. They have a fantastic soundstage too! A really perfect clean open pair of cans, for the price they're incredible. They have clear, natural mids which sound great but doesn't have as much mid bass or warmth for a thicker forward mid range. For what you're looking for, these would be not bad but are a bit lacking in some areas you like.

You know what honestly... you might like a Modded Denon AH D2k [wood cups, driver dampened, lawton pads] I've got it with me now and it's... well it has WONDERFULLY Linear Sub and mid Bass extension, but the headphone is tilited in favor of the bass, after the mods it's got a rather nice smooth top end and a slight upper mid edge. Pair it with a nice tube amp like the Schiit Vali [which the LA D2k isn't overly senstive so it should pair nicely] for a really wonderful overall headphone, there's a good bit of decay to the mid range on the LA D2k and I think with the Schiit Vali and a dac like the Modi you'd be in for a treat! I've got an actual review of my LA D2k on head fi now actually, and after living with it as my only headphone for a month, I can say it's warmer than I thought it to be, and I think with a tube you'd really enjoy it.

 

The other option that you have is getting a stock D2k for about $250, then adding Wood Cups and ePads to it might run you about $650 overall, but if you check around the Head Fi for sale threads, you can find a fully modded D2 or D5k for around $500-600 ish. And for a closed back it's got a HECK of a lot of sound stage! And I think you'll really enjoy the overall sound presenation with a tube like the Schiit Vali! 

post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 

Ah, thanks guys! The one thing I'm just worrying about is that orthos sound unnatural and not as realistic as dynamics to some but I suppose I can always return them if needed. BTW, how do tube amps or hybrid tube amps sound like to you? I thought I'd prefer solid state since I thought there would less fuss but I haven't had any tube experience myself.

post #25 of 32
Orthos can sound extremely natural and realistic. Most of the Hifiman He line has very natural and realistic sound! They seem like exactly what you would want (or heck, if you're lucky find a pair of LCD 2.1 used on the very top of your budget if you're lucky!) solid state amps tend to be simple imo they power cans very well and don't contribute much sound coloration at all! Tube amps have a very lush and warm sound! They're great for a lot of open cans (Especially beyerdynamics imo!) if you got some Hifimans or Audezes, I think you couldn't go wrong with the Asgard for solid state or maybe a little dot IV or a Schiit Lyr for tube! They're very warm and smooth! As for solid states they can be cold or even a hint warmish but tend to not have much character compared to tubes (again) IMO
post #26 of 32

BUY THESE HEADPHONES OP

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711112/denon-d2k-with-d7k-cups-4-pin-xlr-silver-cable-and-two-adapters-and-case

 

Seriously! That's a Denon AH D2k, like MINE but but but! What that headphone is missing is about $100 worth of work, send that headphone the one in the link above to Mark Lawton, for $100 get some Lawton Pads and a have only the drivers dampend and YOU sir have a $700 modded headphone for uhh... $550? bout $150 cheaper than what I GLADY paid for my D2k, and here's the BEST part that headphone comes with two HUGE 10 foot and 15 foot cables... each could easily get you about $75 here on head fi... so that's what $425 for a headphone and 2 cables... sell the two cables at $75 and now your at $425-150 or $275 for a Wood Back D2k with a Custom Balanced Cable now add that $100 from eariler and you have a $750 headphone for... abbout $375... or close to HALF WHAT  I PAID FOR IT... OP I highly recommend you BUY this headphone, get that sucker to Mark Lawton for some mods, Sell the 15 foot balanced cable and have your self an extra $200 dollars for an amp, keep that 10 foot single end to female XLR, and buy your self a very lovely Schiit Modi and Asgard 2 combo OR get your self an audio GD combo unit

 

Either way you come out a winner, and I think the Denon D2k with wood cups, Lawton Pads and driver mods would be a step above your HD 558, if your curious to how the D2k sounds, check out my review of it here again'st my W1000x

 

Either way, I REALLY think with your budget you could come out a SUPER lucky guy or gal, and yes the caps is nessicary because I'm that jealous of you right now q.q 

 

and here's a Denon AHD5000 with a balanced amp [and cable] for around $770 [the Denon AH D2k and 5k use the same headphone driver, the D5k had a better cable and wood back where as the D2k had the plastic house and cheaper cable, so the two headphones are simmilar when modded imo] 


Edited by Mshenay - 5/16/14 at 1:43am
post #27 of 32

OK - I'm going to throw something 'alternative' out there - mainly because it does fit the profile you wanted, and because at the current prices it's going for, I personally think it's a really good headphone (I love mine).

 

HD700 - better sub-bass than what you have, more mid-bass as well, sparkly, good mids, great sound stage and imaging, the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, and doesn't need amping (ie sounds great out of a DAP - and you can add an amp when you can afford it).

 

Compared to your HD598:

 

 

And here is a used one on the forums - $550 - steal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716844/price-drop-akg-k3003i-hd700-w1000x-um3xrc-rsa-71a

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

OK - I'm going to throw something 'alternative' out there - mainly because it does fit the profile you wanted, and because at the current prices it's going for, I personally think it's a really good headphone (I love mine).

 

HD700 - better sub-bass than what you have, more mid-bass as well, sparkly, good mids, great sound stage and imaging, the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn, and doesn't need amping (ie sounds great out of a DAP - and you can add an amp when you can afford it).

 

Compared to your HD598:

 

 

And here is a used one on the forums - $550 - steal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716844/price-drop-akg-k3003i-hd700-w1000x-um3xrc-rsa-71a

Good point as well, how warm are they though? I know OP wanted something simmilar to the HD 600 [which I never realzied how warm the D2k was till I well switched back to my HE 4 and W1000x after a solid month of all D2k q.q ] 

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

Good point as well, how warm are they though? I know OP wanted something simmilar to the HD 600 [which I never realzied how warm the D2k was till I well switched back to my HE 4 and W1000x after a solid month of all D2k q.q ] 

 

I'm going to try to write a comparison of the two (HD600 vs HD700) some time in the next couple of weeks.

 

HD600 = very natural and smooth, amazing timbre and tone, nice sparkle, good thump (mid-bass), but not a lot of sub bass.  Good imaging, average sound stage, comfortable.  Sometimes a little slow.

 

HD700 = more exciting/fun, more bass (warmer), amazing with acoustic music, has nice sparkle, more mid and sub bass, great imaging, bigger sound stage, more comfortable.  Treble can get a little peaky with the odd track - I don't get that with the HD600.  HD700 is very quick as well.

post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

I'm going to try to write a comparison of the two (HD600 vs HD700) some time in the next couple of weeks.

 

HD600 = very natural and smooth, amazing timbre and tone, nice sparkle, good thump (mid-bass), but not a lot of sub bass.  Good imaging, average sound stage, comfortable.  Sometimes a little slow.

 

HD700 = more exciting/fun, more bass (warmer), amazing with acoustic music, has nice sparkle, more mid and sub bass, great imaging, bigger sound stage, more comfortable.  Treble can get a little peaky with the odd track - I don't get that with the HD600.  HD700 is very quick as well.

Ironically... it sounds a little like the HE 4, the differance is the HE 4 needs an amp but it's cheaper... funny though how our at home open cans share simmilar sound profiles... 

 

Still the HD 700 isn't a bad choice, if it's got a realitivly low impedance, it wouldn't be a bad upgrade at all [ofc the D2k is just as easy to drive, with a simmilar  sound to the HD 700, minus the sound stage and imaging, but it's closed back so it has isolation] Actually, the D2k has a rather smooth treble... I've never heard it peaky nor sounding recessed 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Help recommend my next headphone ($400-600) and amp! ($200-350)