Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Trying to Decide Between HD600s and HE400s
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to Decide Between HD600s and HE400s

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Title says it all. I've been planning on upgrading my 'audio setup' for a while now, and I have narrowed my headphone choices down to the HE400s and the HD600s. I listen to a wide variety of genres, but I primarily listen to electronic, pop, and classical. I also will be gaming quiet a bit with these, so they need to have a decent soundstage. Which one of these would suit my needs better? I also planning on getting the Schiit Magi/Modi combo. Would that adequately drive them?

post #2 of 14

Have you had a chance to listen tot them both over extended listening periods?

 

I'd go for which ever you find most comfortable to listen to.  Both physical and listening... i.e. if you find either fatiguing, pick the other.

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkiwi View Post
 

Have you had a chance to listen tot them both over extended listening periods?

 

I'd go for which ever you find most comfortable to listen to.  Both physical and listening... i.e. if you find either fatiguing, pick the other.

That's my problem, I have had no opportunity to listen to either of them. I don't see it in my foreseeable future either. I kind of, sort of live in the middle of no where.

post #4 of 14
Hmm, in short, the HD600 sounds more relaxed, which works well with classicals but not engaging EDM (at least not that well).
The HE-400 has a more aggressive presentation, which works better with EDM.

And your stack would drive them no problem, the HE-400 could even be driven through your phone.

I'd personally pick the HE-400, they are probably the best bang for the buck product on sale now.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashfury99 View Post

Hmm, in short, the HD600 sounds more relaxed, which works well with classicals but not engaging EDM (at least not that well).
The HE-400 has a more aggressive presentation, which works better with EDM.

And your stack would drive them no problem, the HE-400 could even be driven through your phone.

I'd personally pick the HE-400, they are probably the best bang for the buck product on sale now.

I believe I'm beginning to lean towards those as well, but I listen to a wide variety of music. How do they stack up to music other than EDM?

post #6 of 14
Pretty well. The HE-400 is good for anything you throw at it.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMiracle View Post

I believe I'm beginning to lean towards those as well, but I listen to a wide variety of music. How do they stack up to music other than EDM?

I can't remember. What headphones do you have right now? Or what headphones have you listened to extensively? And what do you very much like or don't like about them? That might help people to steer you one way or the other smily_headphones1.gif
post #8 of 14

if you hear different kind of music, take the he400, since HD 600 is not that good for pop/folk/jazz

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I can't remember. What headphones do you have right now? Or what headphones have you listened to extensively? And what do you very much like or don't like about them? That might help people to steer you one way or the other smily_headphones1.gif
I used to be a really big
console gamer. Due to that, I have the Astro A40s and Mixamp. I think the sound stage is pretty good, but they seem a bit bass light, and don't seem to emphasize mids enough.
post #10 of 14

The he400 is on it's last production run and it's price reflects being d/c. The hd600 is current, although it has been around forever. In a few weeks the he400i will be out. You might wait for the reviews before making your choice. 

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomo View Post
 

if you hear different kind of music, take the he400, since HD 600 is not that good for pop/folk/jazz

 

Beg to differ.  HD600 excels at folk and jazz particularly - especially because of it's realism and timbre.  I quite like mine with pop and classic rock also.  The HD600 is really a headphone for all genres - which is why it's stayed so popular after all these years.

 

Have you actually spent any time with the HD600 - just curious ......... 

post #12 of 14
I'd go for the 600's personally. A very good all-rounder.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMiracle View Post

I used to be a really big
console gamer. Due to that, I have the Astro A40s and Mixamp. I think the sound stage is pretty good, but they seem a bit bass light, and don't seem to emphasize mids enough.

Either of these headphones will be a significant jump in class over the A40s. I not experience with the A40s to know which is better in terms of the sound signature you might want.
post #14 of 14

I think that you will be very happy with either choice... given that I haven't heard the HE (or any other orthos, I can't comment on a comparison...)

 

 

I have the HD650s and absolutely love them... they are amazingly comfortable for extended listening periods, as are the HD600s that I've tried.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Trying to Decide Between HD600s and HE400s