Hey everyone, so firstly I'll apologise for making another one of these threads but I've spent a few days searching through the forums but due to the numerous factors which I need to consider I figured it would be beneficial to make a thread.
Firstly, this is my first foray into headphones so my knowledge is quite limited. I have a little experience with IEMs and have owned the HifiMan RE0 and currently have the Vsonic GR07s.
As mentioned, the main issue I have with making a decision is the number of factors I have to take into account mixed with my extremely limited knowledge regarding headphones. So I'm going to list the main factors which each phone.
In terms of sound preference, I listen to metalcore, death metal, and prog. However, I love my GR07s and love a detailed/analytical phone, I'd rather hear the details in the music than have an overly aggressive phone. This is arguably the main reason why I can't make a decision.
Also note that these are intended for home use (although my flatmates will be around) so portables aren't a requirement.
- I've heard good things about the HD25-1 II's and that they're good for metal, I've also heard the Amperiors are an upgrade so that's why it's listed here in its place.
- I'm worried that there won't be enough detail for my liking or that the clarity won't be there (I've always had the impression that Senns were quite muddy sounding)
- The price is such that I could get a FiiO amp or Schiit Magni.
- Worried about comfort as I intend to wear these for long periods.
- For one, if I get these there is almost no way I will be able to get an amp at the same time.
- Once again, worried about a slightly muddy sound and not being very detailed. However it seems like the sound of these is supposed to be enjoyable and could be forgiving on badly recorded tracks.
- Personally I think they look amazing.
- Don't think comfort should be an issue.
- Guess this is the recurring trend, but I'm worried about lack of detail.
- Every other thread has reccomended these for my kind of music, and I have heard the SR80 which sounded damn good.
- Main thing stopping me from getting these is the fact they're open and leak really badly. Although I will be inside and at home, there will always be background noises due to flatmates. Would this background noise be noticable enough to ruin the experience? Also a minor issue is disturbing them with leakage (this is the least important factor).
- Too expensive for an amp as well.
- From what I could find, the sound on this appears to be balanced which is promising.
- Seems to be great sound quality for price.
- Although it's not analytical it seems to have good overall SQ so it's a fair compromise in my mind.
- Not enough information on this product, so I want to explore other options before jumping on these.
- Can possibly get an amp for these.
- Appears the have the detailed sound I know I enjoy.
- Portable so I can go without an amp for a while.
- Constantly referred to as a phone for on the go, so I am reserved because it seems like I could get a better 'home' phone for a similar price.
- Seems to have a lot clarity and detail. So in terms of usual sound signature this could be a safe bet.
- Worried about build quality (and looks kind of dull in my opinion)
- Won't be able to afford an amp straight away.
- Worried that it might be unforgiving on my music.
Sorry about the length of this, I've found it quite difficult to narrow this list down! To summarise I am inclined to the NAD or Grados, I don't mind trying a different sound signature but I'm worried about the open nature of the Grados and the lack of information on the HP50s.
If you reccommend any other cheaper headphones I will be able to buy an amp so if you feel that is the better option please let me know!
Thank you all for your time.