Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 ohm or Shure SRH840?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 ohm or Shure SRH840?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi all

 

After some looking around on the internet I boiled it down to these two headphones. The conclusion I made from these headphones is that they both are very comfortable and the Shure has a flat sound reproduction, whereas the DT-770 lacks a bit in the mids.

 

Now I don't know what to choose, I'm going to use the headphones for mainly listening to music in the genre of House. Every genre will come through these speakers, but mainly that one. I'm not able to test them as I don't have any shops in the vicinity to listen to them, thus I have to buy them blind.

 

Currently I have a Sennheiser HD212 Pro and I love the sound, so perhaps that could help with your advice as they tend to be more heavy on the bass but I don't know if the mids and highs suffer from this as I'm not that great in detecting that kind of stuff.

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 13
Hi,

80 Ohm Beyers have more bass than Srh-840 (which also have emphasized bass). IMO Beyers have the edge in terms of comfort while Shures in terms of isolation. You should also consider DT770 250 Ohm version (more neutral than 80 Ohm versions)

Both Beyers are hard to drive in comparison with Srh 840.

If you want a more neutral/smooth presentation you should consider SoundMagic HP100.

Best Luck!
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your response.

 

Isolation is not that important for me, I'll only be using them at home.

 

But I just came across the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and I have not yet read anything negative about it apart from that only Audio Technica cables will fit, but that's not an issue.

They seem to be on number one on this site too for over ear design, although the other two are also high up...

 

So difficult to choose one...

post #4 of 13
The only problem with the athm50 is the recessed mids and slightly artificial highs.
You might want to consider the m audio q40 (basshead headphones) and donscorpio dolphin (bright highs with sub bass emphasis)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2657356
The asian headphone thread also has pictures of a mod where they take off pads and take off foam.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs
post #5 of 13
If you dont care about isolation, you can get an open headphone.
Check out the yamaha hph200
Yamaha mt220
Soundmagic hp200
Sennheiser hd598
What kind of music do you listen to?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caipi View Post
 

After some looking around on the internet I boiled it down to these two headphones. The conclusion I made from these headphones is that they both are very comfortable and the Shure has a flat sound reproduction, whereas the DT-770 lacks a bit in the mids.

Now I don't know what to choose, I'm going to use the headphones for mainly listening to music in the genre of House. Every genre will come through these speakers, but mainly that one. I'm not able to test them as I don't have any shops in the vicinity to listen to them, thus I have to buy them blind.

Currently I have a Sennheiser HD212 Pro and I love the sound, so perhaps that could help with your advice as they tend to be more heavy on the bass but I don't know if the mids and highs suffer from this as I'm not that great in detecting that kind of stuff.

 

It might help to know what sources your plugging the headphones into?

The DT770 really need to be used with a headphone amplifier or plugged into a A/V receiver or modern computer sound card.

Where as the SRH-840 would be better for use with portable audio devices (mp3 or smartphone) or can easily be plugged straight into a computer.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 

I listen to House music, Deep House, Tech House, House itself,...

 

But in the end every genre will pass my headphones, so I don't know. I love a pounding bass when I'm mixing with my Krk's RP6 G2 (will buy a KRK 10s in a few months to provide this pounding feeling), so I don't know, buying blind is always a difficult feeling

post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caipi View Post

I listen to House music, Deep House, Tech House, House itself,...

But in the end every genre will pass my headphones, so I don't know. I love a pounding bass when I'm mixing with my Krk's RP6 G2 (will buy a KRK 10s in a few months to provide this pounding feeling), so I don't know, buying blind is always a difficult feeling
The dt770 pro 80 would work great with electronic music but not much else. The 840 wouldnt work with electronic much at all because of the sub bass roll off.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunehdrocks View Post
You might want to consider the m audio q40 (
 

^ Definitely! These are just a can rarely anyone can go wrong with IMO. They have incredible bass and can be cleanly boosted even further for those who loooooove their bass fix, and kind of unlike the dt770, they can maintain a Thicker, more forward midrange which is overall more full sounding which make vocals quite nice on them too! They aren't as bright as the dt770, but still have a well extended treble that has a fair amount of detail and blends well with the somewhat warm-ish, dark sound sig!

post #10 of 13

ue6000 .....betterbuy than dt770/840

 

going cheap now on amazon

post #11 of 13
Oh yeah...
You could buy a headphone on amazon(make sure the vendor is amazon) and just return it if you don't like it.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caipi View Post

I listen to House music, Deep House, Tech House, House itself,...

But in the end every genre will pass my headphones, so I don't know. I love a pounding bass when I'm mixing with my Krk's RP6 G2 (will buy a KRK 10s in a few months to provide this pounding feeling), so I don't know, buying blind is always a difficult feeling
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715697/the-audiophile-bass-lounge-basshead-club-part-ii
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caipi View Post
 

Hi all

 

After some looking around on the internet I boiled it down to these two headphones. The conclusion I made from these headphones is that they both are very comfortable and the Shure has a flat sound reproduction, whereas the DT-770 lacks a bit in the mids.

 

Now I don't know what to choose, I'm going to use the headphones for mainly listening to music in the genre of House. Every genre will come through these speakers, but mainly that one. I'm not able to test them as I don't have any shops in the vicinity to listen to them, thus I have to buy them blind.

 

Currently I have a Sennheiser HD212 Pro and I love the sound, so perhaps that could help with your advice as they tend to be more heavy on the bass but I don't know if the mids and highs suffer from this as I'm not that great in detecting that kind of stuff.

 

Thanks!

Having personally owned both, i would definately go with the 770. The 840s were my first step into the head-fi world and I enjoyed them. But the comfort along with the sound and the price i picked up ny 770 pro 80 is jsut a no brainer.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 ohm or Shure SRH840?