This is my first post here. I've followed various threads as an anonymous lurker and have used Head Fi to get very good recommendations and reviews on gear. Bought my Beyerdynamic DT660's and a Fiio X5 based on your opinions.
So I'd like to thank everyone for the great advice of the past!
I did go through dozens of pages of search results, but didn't quite find this one. Apologies in advance if it was covered and missed it.
Main question: Which IEMs sound most like MTPC?
I bought some Monster Turbine Pro Coppers a month ago. Only got to use them 4 times, and now the left one (surprise, surprise...) is finished. I'll get in touch with Monster on Monday, but since they're discontinued, it's unlikely they'll replace them with the same. Monster might offer an alternate, but none of their current 'buds come anywhere near the MTPC (let's not even get into the price paid vs value of replacement options discussion).
The MTPC are the IEMs that I found sound closest to circumaural closed headphones. In my head at least, the soundstage, instrument separation and clarity on the MTPC is the closest IEM I've found to match the DT660's and K551's.
According to your experience, which IEMs sound most like the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers?
- I mostly listen to orchestral (Decca-tree classical & close-mic'ed film scores), pop, latin, classic rock.
- I like a wide soundstage and I like at least a some bass in my orchestral music (timpani, celli and trombones need bass)
- My favourite headphones are: AKG K551, Beyerdynamic DT660, Focal Spirit Pro, Focal Spirit Classic
- I listen mostly straight out of iPod Nano (Audiophile crime, I know!) but also use Fiio X5 and iPhone 5 + Beyerdynamic A200p amp.
- I sampled some Etymotic & Shure buds in the past, but they didn't fit my ears for some reason. Their designs don't seem to have changed, but I'm open to trying again.
- I tried briefly the K3003, but as amazing as they were, the soundstage sounded smaller to me than on the MTPCs. Not sure I want to walk around with 1200$ in my ears either.
- I have the KEF M200. Sound is close enough to the MTPC, but I need a sweatband around my head to hold them in.
- Previous threads appear to create a consensus around the Triple Fi 10, but those are also discontinued.
Thank you in advance!