Can't say I like the looks. The AK100 has a nice balance in the hand and in appearance. These, if they remain like the images, which I guess they is final, are fairly unimaginative.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAstell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player (Smoky Blue))tagged by joe, 8/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV Last post on Today at 5:20 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello everyone, im new and i need some suggestions Last post on 8/2/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Toys for Boys Last post on Today at 5:26 am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
I bought these a year ago now and they are holding up great with my Vector Research amplifier. Bass is on 10 Mid on 6 and treble on 8. They sound fantastic and don't make any buzzing noises. I wear...
Here a short first impressions review of the AH-MM400. After unpacking I was truly amazed. The build-quality is far beyond anything I ever held in my hands with this price tag on it. If anybody...
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not a comparison but Peter from DHC just posted this on FB so I think that can give you guys an idea.
DHC is an authorized A&K dealer and we'll be adding their products to our catalog over the next few days. We also fully support this ecosystem of fantastic audio players with the cables & adapters needed to make all the connections perfectly.
The new lineup may have people a little confused - the AK100 II and AK120 II now have the same screen and Android based, super-easy UI of the AK240 flagship. So what all is shared?
1) All players have wifi streaming of your music library, over the air updates, the big OLED screen and UI, optical output, USB DAC capability, and bluetooth.
2) All players have the 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single ended output just like AK240.
3) All three players use the CS4398 DAC chip from Cirrus Logic. AK100 has one, AK120 and AK240 have two.
4) All three players have DSD playback capability; AK240 plays DSD natively rather than downconverting it to PCM. AK240 does this by means of a dedicated processing chip for keeping DSD as DSD all the way through. This also means AK240 is primarily advantageous for DSD.
5) AK120 and AK240 have the same amplifier specs and DAC precision levels. AK100 has a bit less voltage output despite having a 2.5mm balanced output, and its DAC specifications for distortion and crosstalk are a little lower than its brothers.
6) AK240 has a duralumin and carbon fiber case, while the 100 and 120 are all aluminum.
7) AK100 is 64gb, AK120 is 128GB, AK240 is 256gb; all have one microSD slot to add up to 128GB.
8) All players are close in thickness, but AK240 is the least tall; it is wider than the other two. Players are very close in battery capacity and weight, and I'm guessing battery life also.
9) So, to summarize - the AK100 is now even more competent and lets you enjoy balanced output; the AK120 and AK240 should offer the same performance for PCM 24/192 based on the numbers for its amplifier and DAC precision, with the AK240 in theory only pulling ahead with DSD files. AK240 offers exclusive body materials and a nicer leather case, more memory, and native DSD.
So the 120II is basically a cheaper 240 without native dsd in a different shell.....?
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 5:08pm
If 120II is indeed like that (and priced the same as the 120), I think I'm in..
Wifi streaming and a giant oled screen just makes the battery melt as fast as a 240.
Where did you read that? I checked out http://www.astellnkern.com/ and couldn't find anything like it.
check under general specification.
DSD Native : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
I remember reading in the iriver.jp that sample rate is until 32 bit 384khz, I wonder why it's not stated in the English website..
Edit: ok, nvm I think that's down sampled to 192khz =.=
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 6:08pm
And my wallet will swear to never let me buy another AK "flagship" in the future.... Really curious how they will price it but I do expect it to be closer to 120 than 240....
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 7:28pm
I'd say in between the titan and 240...
I am shocked that these new players only offer one micro sd slot..my titan has 2 and I also must say I hate the way the new model looks.I also would expect far better battery life in a new model!To me the capacity is right at the top of the concerns for me and I am amazed these new ones offer such a small capacity....no sale
Is this true? is yes, I am a happy boy. But not so happy if no one buys my RWAK120 Titan.
And less on board storage.........and that looks like it. If it sounds like the 240 all you guys who purchase one are in for a treat!
seriously... what's the point of having DSD playability if it's just a down sampling PCM. Might as well remove that feature and reduce the price.
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 9:35pm
- Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Zero Audio ZH-DWX10 DUOZA dual dynamic driver iem 4 seconds ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 20 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser RS160, 170 ,180... Anyone? 1 minute ago
- › Rooth demos: the evaluation of Rooth lineup – liquid clarity 1 minute ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 1 minute ago
- › SONY XB1000 1 minute ago
- › Looking for a better source for my microphone (a modmic) 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 2 minutes ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 2 minutes ago
- › Amping for AKG Q701 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)