Can't say I like the looks. The AK100 has a nice balance in the hand and in appearance. These, if they remain like the images, which I guess they is final, are fairly unimaginative.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAstell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Playertagged by joe, 8/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- DAP Questions [from head-fi vet but DAP newbie] Last post on 4/20/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii Last post on 4/29/15 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV Last post on 8/25/16 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello everyone, im new and i need some suggestions Last post on 8/2/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Astell and Kern AK100_II (2014) findings thread Last post on 8/1/14 at 6:13am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
Some "Provenance" to the Brand Name: Ocharaku is a "tea themed" company based in Japan. Focusing on Dynamic Driver IEM's, Ocharaku pushes the envelope when it comes to breaking the negative...
Introduction: The Fischer Audio Totem Paco (FE-131) is a newly released earphone from Fischer Audio. They’re small, built well and sound good. Want to know more? Read on. Below is the...
I was sent a couple of the ShareMe headphones to try recently for review purposes. The name of the company isn't one that I'm familiar with but I have seen various low priced offerings on...
The ANC-G5 active noise canceling headphones can be had from Amazon for 60 USD. How does it compare to the number one noise canceling headphones, the Bose QuietComfort QC20i? Comfort The...
Preamble: Superlux – the Chinese/Taiwanese company really doesn’t need any further instruction for anyone who is at least just a little into audio and headphones. Being in the...
Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not a comparison but Peter from DHC just posted this on FB so I think that can give you guys an idea.
DHC is an authorized A&K dealer and we'll be adding their products to our catalog over the next few days. We also fully support this ecosystem of fantastic audio players with the cables & adapters needed to make all the connections perfectly.
The new lineup may have people a little confused - the AK100 II and AK120 II now have the same screen and Android based, super-easy UI of the AK240 flagship. So what all is shared?
1) All players have wifi streaming of your music library, over the air updates, the big OLED screen and UI, optical output, USB DAC capability, and bluetooth.
2) All players have the 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single ended output just like AK240.
3) All three players use the CS4398 DAC chip from Cirrus Logic. AK100 has one, AK120 and AK240 have two.
4) All three players have DSD playback capability; AK240 plays DSD natively rather than downconverting it to PCM. AK240 does this by means of a dedicated processing chip for keeping DSD as DSD all the way through. This also means AK240 is primarily advantageous for DSD.
5) AK120 and AK240 have the same amplifier specs and DAC precision levels. AK100 has a bit less voltage output despite having a 2.5mm balanced output, and its DAC specifications for distortion and crosstalk are a little lower than its brothers.
6) AK240 has a duralumin and carbon fiber case, while the 100 and 120 are all aluminum.
7) AK100 is 64gb, AK120 is 128GB, AK240 is 256gb; all have one microSD slot to add up to 128GB.
8) All players are close in thickness, but AK240 is the least tall; it is wider than the other two. Players are very close in battery capacity and weight, and I'm guessing battery life also.
9) So, to summarize - the AK100 is now even more competent and lets you enjoy balanced output; the AK120 and AK240 should offer the same performance for PCM 24/192 based on the numbers for its amplifier and DAC precision, with the AK240 in theory only pulling ahead with DSD files. AK240 offers exclusive body materials and a nicer leather case, more memory, and native DSD.
So the 120II is basically a cheaper 240 without native dsd in a different shell.....?
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 5:08pm
If 120II is indeed like that (and priced the same as the 120), I think I'm in..
Wifi streaming and a giant oled screen just makes the battery melt as fast as a 240.
Where did you read that? I checked out http://www.astellnkern.com/ and couldn't find anything like it.
check under general specification.
DSD Native : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
I remember reading in the iriver.jp that sample rate is until 32 bit 384khz, I wonder why it's not stated in the English website..
Edit: ok, nvm I think that's down sampled to 192khz =.=
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 6:08pm
And my wallet will swear to never let me buy another AK "flagship" in the future.... Really curious how they will price it but I do expect it to be closer to 120 than 240....
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 7:28pm
I'd say in between the titan and 240...
I am shocked that these new players only offer one micro sd slot..my titan has 2 and I also must say I hate the way the new model looks.I also would expect far better battery life in a new model!To me the capacity is right at the top of the concerns for me and I am amazed these new ones offer such a small capacity....no sale
Is this true? is yes, I am a happy boy. But not so happy if no one buys my RWAK120 Titan.
And less on board storage.........and that looks like it. If it sounds like the 240 all you guys who purchase one are in for a treat!
seriously... what's the point of having DSD playability if it's just a down sampling PCM. Might as well remove that feature and reduce the price.
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 9:35pm
- Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
- › Electronic Music Exchange (House, DnB, Dubstep, etc.) 10 seconds ago
- › thebit Opus#1 DAP from South Korea 32 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 49 seconds ago
- › MHDT Labs: R-2R NOS Tube DACs 59 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 & Dunu DN-2000J 3 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 3 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 4 minutes ago
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by kevingzw
- › Fischer Audio Totem Paco by crabdog
- › Mixcder ShareMe Wireless Bluetooth Headphones,Built in Mic for... by iancraig10
- › Mixcder ANC-G5 Active Noise Cancelling Hi-Fi In-ear Headphones,... by pkshiu
- › Superlux HD-668 B by HiFiChris
- › Meze 99 Classics by HansBarbarossa
- › Cayin i5 by cleg
- › MrSpeakers ETHER C by Delayeed
- › Cable Matters Gold Plated Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable with... by Gabeh765
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by Cinder
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...