Can't say I like the looks. The AK100 has a nice balance in the hand and in appearance. These, if they remain like the images, which I guess they is final, are fairly unimaginative.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAstell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Playertagged by joe, 8/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- DAP Questions [from head-fi vet but DAP newbie] Last post on 2/3/15 at 11:47am in Portable Source Gear
- Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii Last post on 4/29/15 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV Last post on 5/20/15 at 8:00am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello everyone, im new and i need some suggestions Last post on 8/2/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Astell and Kern AK100_II (2014) findings thread Last post on 8/1/14 at 6:13am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 1/22/15
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure 4ECs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
Brainwavz continues to step up their game. This time it's in the realm of Bluetooth! The BLU-100 is a budget-priced IEM that is very well-designed and offers very good sound for anyone that needs...
Dont let these tiny guys disappoint you by looks. Plug them in and you wont believe your ears. These are that good, It sounds like large over ear headphones. I have owned many earbuds like...
Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not a comparison but Peter from DHC just posted this on FB so I think that can give you guys an idea.
DHC is an authorized A&K dealer and we'll be adding their products to our catalog over the next few days. We also fully support this ecosystem of fantastic audio players with the cables & adapters needed to make all the connections perfectly.
The new lineup may have people a little confused - the AK100 II and AK120 II now have the same screen and Android based, super-easy UI of the AK240 flagship. So what all is shared?
1) All players have wifi streaming of your music library, over the air updates, the big OLED screen and UI, optical output, USB DAC capability, and bluetooth.
2) All players have the 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single ended output just like AK240.
3) All three players use the CS4398 DAC chip from Cirrus Logic. AK100 has one, AK120 and AK240 have two.
4) All three players have DSD playback capability; AK240 plays DSD natively rather than downconverting it to PCM. AK240 does this by means of a dedicated processing chip for keeping DSD as DSD all the way through. This also means AK240 is primarily advantageous for DSD.
5) AK120 and AK240 have the same amplifier specs and DAC precision levels. AK100 has a bit less voltage output despite having a 2.5mm balanced output, and its DAC specifications for distortion and crosstalk are a little lower than its brothers.
6) AK240 has a duralumin and carbon fiber case, while the 100 and 120 are all aluminum.
7) AK100 is 64gb, AK120 is 128GB, AK240 is 256gb; all have one microSD slot to add up to 128GB.
8) All players are close in thickness, but AK240 is the least tall; it is wider than the other two. Players are very close in battery capacity and weight, and I'm guessing battery life also.
9) So, to summarize - the AK100 is now even more competent and lets you enjoy balanced output; the AK120 and AK240 should offer the same performance for PCM 24/192 based on the numbers for its amplifier and DAC precision, with the AK240 in theory only pulling ahead with DSD files. AK240 offers exclusive body materials and a nicer leather case, more memory, and native DSD.
So the 120II is basically a cheaper 240 without native dsd in a different shell.....?
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 5:08pm
If 120II is indeed like that (and priced the same as the 120), I think I'm in..
Wifi streaming and a giant oled screen just makes the battery melt as fast as a 240.
Where did you read that? I checked out http://www.astellnkern.com/ and couldn't find anything like it.
check under general specification.
DSD Native : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
I remember reading in the iriver.jp that sample rate is until 32 bit 384khz, I wonder why it's not stated in the English website..
Edit: ok, nvm I think that's down sampled to 192khz =.=
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 6:08pm
And my wallet will swear to never let me buy another AK "flagship" in the future.... Really curious how they will price it but I do expect it to be closer to 120 than 240....
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 7:28pm
I'd say in between the titan and 240...
I am shocked that these new players only offer one micro sd slot..my titan has 2 and I also must say I hate the way the new model looks.I also would expect far better battery life in a new model!To me the capacity is right at the top of the concerns for me and I am amazed these new ones offer such a small capacity....no sale
Is this true? is yes, I am a happy boy. But not so happy if no one buys my RWAK120 Titan.
And less on board storage.........and that looks like it. If it sounds like the 240 all you guys who purchase one are in for a treat!
seriously... what's the point of having DSD playability if it's just a down sampling PCM. Might as well remove that feature and reduce the price.
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 9:35pm
- Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
- › what is the best portable music player to have? 54 seconds ago
- › Stax 727 Voltage Conversion 100 to 117 (Help) 1 minute ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 2 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN Flagship Headphone HE1000 Beta Testing Opportunity -... 7 minutes ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 8 minutes ago
- › Wanted: Shure SE846 cable 8 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 9 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Liquid Gold 9 minutes ago
- › OK use of RCA Y adapters? 10 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions for DT250, DT280,... by Trevayne10
- › Xiaomi Pistion III Youth Edition by julian67
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Universal-Fit Noise-Isolating Musician’s... by Courageousbo
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2