Can't say I like the looks. The AK100 has a nice balance in the hand and in appearance. These, if they remain like the images, which I guess they is final, are fairly unimaginative.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAstell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Playertagged by joe, 8/8/14
Related Forum Threads
- DAP Questions [from head-fi vet but DAP newbie] Last post on 4/20/16 at 1:21pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii Last post on 4/29/15 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV Last post on 3/1/16 at 1:16pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Hello everyone, im new and i need some suggestions Last post on 8/2/14 at 4:59pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- The Astell and Kern AK100_II (2014) findings thread Last post on 8/1/14 at 6:13am in Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
I have owned the Darkvoice 336SE for a while now, and consider myself a discerning listener/audiophile. My listening setup consists of two KRK RP-5 studio reference monitors, and a KRK RP-10S, and...
Preamble: At HiFime, all started with the production of the Tripath TK2050 speaker amplification chip. Nowadays they are mostly known for their portable DACs that use valuable...
I've only been in this game since January but have bought a new IEM every month (at pay day obviously). Nothing yet has come close to being my go-to IEM. (I should note...I bought the Titans for...
Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 6
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Not a comparison but Peter from DHC just posted this on FB so I think that can give you guys an idea.
DHC is an authorized A&K dealer and we'll be adding their products to our catalog over the next few days. We also fully support this ecosystem of fantastic audio players with the cables & adapters needed to make all the connections perfectly.
The new lineup may have people a little confused - the AK100 II and AK120 II now have the same screen and Android based, super-easy UI of the AK240 flagship. So what all is shared?
1) All players have wifi streaming of your music library, over the air updates, the big OLED screen and UI, optical output, USB DAC capability, and bluetooth.
2) All players have the 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm single ended output just like AK240.
3) All three players use the CS4398 DAC chip from Cirrus Logic. AK100 has one, AK120 and AK240 have two.
4) All three players have DSD playback capability; AK240 plays DSD natively rather than downconverting it to PCM. AK240 does this by means of a dedicated processing chip for keeping DSD as DSD all the way through. This also means AK240 is primarily advantageous for DSD.
5) AK120 and AK240 have the same amplifier specs and DAC precision levels. AK100 has a bit less voltage output despite having a 2.5mm balanced output, and its DAC specifications for distortion and crosstalk are a little lower than its brothers.
6) AK240 has a duralumin and carbon fiber case, while the 100 and 120 are all aluminum.
7) AK100 is 64gb, AK120 is 128GB, AK240 is 256gb; all have one microSD slot to add up to 128GB.
8) All players are close in thickness, but AK240 is the least tall; it is wider than the other two. Players are very close in battery capacity and weight, and I'm guessing battery life also.
9) So, to summarize - the AK100 is now even more competent and lets you enjoy balanced output; the AK120 and AK240 should offer the same performance for PCM 24/192 based on the numbers for its amplifier and DAC precision, with the AK240 in theory only pulling ahead with DSD files. AK240 offers exclusive body materials and a nicer leather case, more memory, and native DSD.
So the 120II is basically a cheaper 240 without native dsd in a different shell.....?
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 5:08pm
If 120II is indeed like that (and priced the same as the 120), I think I'm in..
Wifi streaming and a giant oled screen just makes the battery melt as fast as a 240.
Where did you read that? I checked out http://www.astellnkern.com/ and couldn't find anything like it.
check under general specification.
DSD Native : DSD64 (1bit 2.8MHz), Stereo / DSD128 (1bit 5.6MHz), Stereo
I remember reading in the iriver.jp that sample rate is until 32 bit 384khz, I wonder why it's not stated in the English website..
Edit: ok, nvm I think that's down sampled to 192khz =.=
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 6:08pm
And my wallet will swear to never let me buy another AK "flagship" in the future.... Really curious how they will price it but I do expect it to be closer to 120 than 240....
Edited by kkcc - 5/15/14 at 7:28pm
I'd say in between the titan and 240...
I am shocked that these new players only offer one micro sd slot..my titan has 2 and I also must say I hate the way the new model looks.I also would expect far better battery life in a new model!To me the capacity is right at the top of the concerns for me and I am amazed these new ones offer such a small capacity....no sale
Is this true? is yes, I am a happy boy. But not so happy if no one buys my RWAK120 Titan.
And less on board storage.........and that looks like it. If it sounds like the 240 all you guys who purchase one are in for a treat!
seriously... what's the point of having DSD playability if it's just a down sampling PCM. Might as well remove that feature and reduce the price.
Edited by Levanter - 5/15/14 at 9:35pm
- Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
- › Band Name Game II 14 seconds ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 21 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 25 seconds ago
- › Popular Classical Music 33 seconds ago
- › Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These... 1 minute ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: HiFiman HM-601 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 6 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up (Update: April 17th, 2016) 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by TwinACStacks
- › Fostex TH-X00 Massdrop exclusive by bestula
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by DJ Liquid
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...