or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 21

post #301 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarr112281 View Post
 

 

Really? I haven't seen the AK240 priced lower than $2,499.00 USD. Indeed, all the internet "e-tailers" seem to be charging the same price--likely per iRiver's stipulations.

 

Currently can be had from amazon for $2399 with leather case, 64 gb micro sd card, optical cable, and quick charger.  Best deal I have seen so far.

post #302 of 6527

anyone know the battery life of the 100ii and 120ii that's the only thing keeping me from buying this device. I assume its going to be the same as the 240 which is downright horrible but I would like for someone to prove me wrong and tell me it has 10+ hours on use.

 

If not that is one thing ak needs to fix I liked having 14 hours on the ak120 and not worrying about charging it every three days compared to feeling the need to charge the 240 after one session. I think that wifi was a hindering feature as we really don't need access to 1tb+ music as most people don't listen that long and it kills the battery faster.

 

That or release a 120 titan shaped device with 14 hours no wifi and 256gb of storage + a micro sd slot.

post #303 of 6527

The AK240 has a four core XMOS processor, the AK100II and AK120II do not.  Should impact the battery life.

post #304 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

The AK240 has a four core XMOS processor, the AK100II and AK120II do not.  Should impact the battery life.

 

very unfortunate as I still don't understand why A&K is aiming for less battery life and more useless features I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

post #305 of 6527
Streaming capabilities you say?

Good. This is one dang good reason to remain interested in the original AK120. smily_headphones1.gif
post #306 of 6527
Streaming capability is one of the main reason I'm getting pulled back to AK after selling my 1st gen..
post #307 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilman0527 View Post
 

I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

 

The XMOS processor has nothing to do with streaming.  It is for DSD and USB DAC functionality.  Ie you could use the AK240 and nothing else if you wanted at home, road and office.

post #308 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilman0527 View Post
 

 

very unfortunate as I still don't understand why A&K is aiming for less battery life and more useless features I would think one would buy a portable device for listening to music on the go rather than trying to use it as a streaming device which would not be used very often.

It has nothing to do with the functionality and is about the resolution of the files that you run.  

 

You may try the same on your computer comparing the same...playback hi-res files will drain your computer batteries much faster than low res.  You would also observe that your computer would generate higher heat dissipation like the AK240 when playing those high res when compared to normal CD res files.

post #309 of 6527

I'm hoping to go to the Headphonium next weekend and will report back. I was able to resist the AK240 @ $2k out the door last month at the So-Cal meet up, only because I HAD to have the Hugo and couldn't justify both. 

To be completely honest I'm only slightly miffed about all of the updates. High end DAP's are going to be like Pentium Processors in the '90ies for a while. The best won't stay best for very long. My AK120 still does what it did the day I bought it. It certainly has AK240 SQ through the Hugo. And with a 256GB SD card taped to it's back, and 128GB MicroSD, it has more capacity (448GB!) than just about anything else out there. I can always tape another 256GB card to the back when I run out of space (576GB!).

Even with high end CIEM's, I don't really think I can hear much difference between an AK120 and an AK240 while riding my bike because of the wind noise. 

For those of us with not-unlimited disposable income I think we'll have to resign ourselves to skipping a few generations of AK products for the foreseeable future. I think if they'd paced themselves they would have done better. 

If the margins are as good as many say, they would have an easy remedy for buyer remorse: Offer full value trade-ins for existing customers. I bet they wouldn't loose money if they let me trade in my AK120 for an AK240 for ~ $1200, I would be a customer for life. This would also give them a huge stock of refurbished units that they could sell to bring in customers that can't afford their products now.

post #310 of 6527
They've popped up on eBay recently! Shipped from Korea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321414755778
post #311 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnonweiler View Post

They've popped up on eBay recently! Shipped from Korea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321414755778

Insane... $2200+
post #312 of 6527

si ak120ii scratchproof like the titan and ak240?

post #313 of 6527

LOL! What an outrageously misleading topology description of competitors DAPs!:

 

 

 

 

 

Really? REALLY?!

 

 

Funny how iBasso's topology looks absolutely NOTHING LIKE that, even though the DX90 is less than one fifth the price. Even the cheaper DX50, at less than one ninth the price, doesn't resemble that B$ topology schematic:

 

post #314 of 6527

Feel better, I filled in the missing piece for you :P

post #315 of 6527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post
 

Feel better, I filled in the missing piece for you :P

 

 

LOL!  :D


Home of the Liquid Carbon, Liquid Crimson, Liquid Glass, Liquid Gold and
Liquid Lightning headphone amplifiers... and the upcoming Liquid Spark!

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II