or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 155

post #2311 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by high-fidelity View Post
 

I mean hard headphones like HD800,LCD,HD6xx series or etc.Not standart headphones like Momentum.I don't know HD700 but I tried HD800 with my RWAK240 at Sennheiser store and I did not get some quality.I mean I got nothing with it.Because they are not designed for them.They are for iems.

 

I just don't agree with your assessment on principle alone.  an expensive portable like the AK units should be able to drive *any* headphone (phoens or IEMs etc).  

 

The plus side is that my AK 120 II works fine with my Audeze LCD2s, and they're not renowned for being easy to drive phones...I can't see the HD800s being harder to drive, but I have no experience with them.  I'd also be pretty disappointed if such headphones didn't really work well.  

 

I haven't tried recent Sennheiser phones, having only owned and used the HD540 Gold references and also the HD433 phones (and now that I think about it, PX100s)...the latter of which is dead (dead drive unit in one of the channels).  I much preferred the 433s, more musical than the HD540 Gold references, which are a bit too "polite" for my tastes.  The PX100s were between the 433 and 540 in sound.  Many have said that the Sennheiser house sound is "polite", so they're not usually my style of phones anyway as a rule. 

post #2312 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by high-fidelity View Post
 

I mean hard headphones like HD800,LCD,HD6xx series or etc.Not standart headphones like Momentum.I don't know HD700 but I tried HD800 with my RWAK240 at Sennheiser store and I did not get some quality.I mean I got nothing with it.Because they are not designed for them.They are for iems.

 

(no punt to you high-fidelity ... just trying to carry a general point)

 

 

Every view is important, and one is not more correct or wrong then the other.

Lets all learn from experiences we share.

 

 

Have fun all, enjoy what you can while you can ... life is to short!!    :-)

 

Loving my AK 100 II as do much of my other stuff.

 

 

Regards,

 

CasperBxl


Edited by CasperBxl - 11/23/14 at 4:35am
post #2313 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post

Yes it can.  It requires 5V 2A.  An iPod2 charger (which is what I use), is 5v 2.1A and is perfect.  I haven't really purposely timed it, but I'd estimate that it takes around 3 hours to fully charge with this setup.  Some of the no name iPod/iPhone chargers are only 5V 1A, so be aware.  They'll work, but they'll take twice as long.  

Thanks!
Just recharged it with my iPad's 5,2V 2,4A charger and everything run smooth and fast!
post #2314 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by doraymon View Post


Thanks!
Just recharged it with my iPad's 5,2V 2,4A charger and everything run smooth and fast!

 

Awesome!  I find it odd that AK doesn't include a charger adaptor - for the price that they're asking for the AK units, a few dollars wouldn't have hurt their profits...

post #2315 of 6523
I think that's the one thing probably have too much of, is chargers. I probably have a dozen of them lying around my place. I do get a little ocd with chargers and prefer to match them with the devices they came with, but I suppose if AK were to skimp, this would be the best thing to skimp on.

Seriously, how much do you think AK can afford to give us with the reasonable prices they charge? ☺
post #2316 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post

I think that's the one thing probably have too much of, is chargers. I probably have a dozen of them lying around my place. I do get a little ocd with chargers and prefer to match them with the devices they came with, but I suppose if AK were to skimp, this would be the best thing to skimp on.

Seriously, how much do you think AK can afford to give us with the reasonable prices they charge? ☺

 

yeah, I know what you mean about chargers.  I thankfully have few electronic devices in my house (that require chargers), so I have little to get confused  ;-)

 

hahaha!

post #2317 of 6523
Thankfully most of them are basically the same. The Note 4 comes with a super powerful charger, which is good and bad. Now I have to obsess over that, bring it everywhere I go so when I plug my Note 4 in I can see "adaptive fast charger...blah blah blah". If I don't see that I don't feel safe!! Charging ocd... It's a terrible sickness.
post #2318 of 6523

From all my research, the consensus seems to be that the 120ii can drive many full size headphones well.  It is certainly not `just for iems`.  I have been using my 120ii with my iems and with my new Beyer T51p - freaking huge sound, deep bass.  With my HD800, the sound was...  good.  But I`m used to listening to it from my 3W tube amp, so with the AK there was nice soundstage and of course detail, but the low end was somehow . .  unsatisfying.  I`m looking forward to hearing the HD800 from the balanced output of the AK, though there doesn`t seem to be that big a boost in power.  

 

My iBasso PB2 drove my HD800 beautifully; I think the 120ii in balanced mode puts out nearly as much power.  

 

I think I may be misusing the word, `power`.

 

Back to listening....   

post #2319 of 6523

Thanks for answers about to ride.I respect to your opinions.And I'm just saying my opinion like you.

 

Enjoy your AK devices. :beerchug: 

post #2320 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 

From all my research, the consensus seems to be that the 120ii can drive many full size headphones well.  It is certainly not `just for iems`.  I have been using my 120ii with my iems and with my new Beyer T51p - freaking huge sound, deep bass.  With my HD800, the sound was...  good.  But I`m used to listening to it from my 3W tube amp, so with the AK there was nice soundstage and of course detail, but the low end was somehow . .  unsatisfying.  I`m looking forward to hearing the HD800 from the balanced output of the AK, though there doesn`t seem to be that big a boost in power.  

 

My iBasso PB2 drove my HD800 beautifully; I think the 120ii in balanced mode puts out nearly as much power.  

 

I think I may be misusing the word, `power`.

 

Back to listening....   

 

Thanks for that.  

 

I still think the amp in the AK units is the weak point.  If AK could improve that...

post #2321 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
 

 

Thanks for that.  

 

I still think the amp in the AK units is the weak point.  If AK could improve that...


Have you tried balanced?  Looking at my AK brochure, it says 2.1Vms in SE mode, 2.3Vms balanced.  I think the PB2 is 2.5 balanced.  

 

Some day I`m going to take the time read through the H-fi tech pages and learn what this actually means . . .  

 

There are more and more balanced re-cabling options in Tokyo for the AK players these days.  I found an assortment of the 2.5mm 4-pole plugs in a diy shop yesterday, and there are several companies making after-market mmcx, etc cables . . .   

 

0.2Vms and a healthy shot of placebo will definitely improve the sound ! 

 

d

post #2322 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopaminer View Post
 


Have you tried balanced?  Looking at my AK brochure, it says 2.1Vms in SE mode, 2.3Vms balanced.  I think the PB2 is 2.5 balanced.  

 

Some day I`m going to take the time read through the H-fi tech pages and learn what this actually means . . .  

 

There are more and more balanced re-cabling options in Tokyo for the AK players these days.  I found an assortment of the 2.5mm 4-pole plugs in a diy shop yesterday, and there are several companies making after-market mmcx, etc cables . . .   

 

0.2Vms and a healthy shot of placebo will definitely improve the sound ! 

 

d

 

I'm not convinced that balanced will make a difference.  Call me a sceptic.  Perhaps down the track I'll consider it, when funds allow.  I can't cable to save my life, so I'd need to consider a pre-made cable, rather than DIY...

post #2323 of 6523
You know my ears suck. But balanced does matter. I hear it, which means everyone else will. On my intruder the effects were very pronounced, on the aks not as much. Definitely a cleaner sound, less interference from my cell phone. Not that I get rf noise often, but if I hold the 240 in same hand as phone I do get it.

Balanced matters, but like everything else keep your expectations in check and you will be happy.
post #2324 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior1975 View Post

You know my ears suck. But balanced does matter. I hear it, which means everyone else will. On my intruder the effects were very pronounced, on the aks not as much. Definitely a cleaner sound, less interference from my cell phone. Not that I get rf noise often, but if I hold the 240 in same hand as phone I do get it.

Balanced matters, but like everything else keep your expectations in check and you will be happy.

I am now testing the Alo Audio SXC 24 balanced cable that came in the bundle with my AK120ii.
After a first few minutes listening these are my impressions:

I liked:
Enhanced airiness of the sound
Yes, as you say, a slightly cleaner sound

I did not like:
The impression of the sound being too analytical
The presentation is too bright, brittle for my tastes
Edited by doraymon - 11/24/14 at 1:08am
post #2325 of 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by doraymon View Post


I am now testing the Alo Audio SXC 24 balanced cable that came in the bundle with my AK120ii.
After a first few minutes listening these are my impressions:

I liked:
Enhanced airiness of the sound
Yes, as you say, a slightly cleaner sound

I did not like:
The impression of the sound being too analytical
The presentation is too bright, brittle for my tastes

The bright and brittle sound might be the case of your cable needs more run in time. You may review this once you have enough hours behind it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II