Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II - Page 8

post #106 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCandel View Post

Any ETA? smily_headphones1.gif And indeed... I would love a review (video to check the UI responsiveness!!)
I was told they should be available in 2-4 weeks.
post #107 of 2766

Question:  I need a new source for my HUGO.  Since I will be using it only as a transport with Optical>HUGO, should the AK100-II or AK120-II provide the same SQ level than a AK240 ??

post #108 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by high-fidelity View Post
 

I learned the prices from Astell&Kern Facebook page.

 

AK100II will cost 999 Euro,AK120II 1799 Euro.

 

So they will be so expensive.

 

so the price is roughly the same for a 120ii with less memory capacity and the current 240 with better memory capacity?

post #109 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilman0527 View Post
 

 

so the price is roughly the same for a 120ii with less memory capacity and the current 240 with better memory capacity?

True.

post #110 of 2766

AK120 II in Europe costs as much as AK240 in the US.

post #111 of 2766

Wow I just had a chance to look at the AK home page and compared the specs between the new AK120 II and the existing flagship AK240 and other then the memory size difference (128 vs. 256 respectfully) its the exact same screen technology including screen size, specs and the internal Amp and DAC section.  I'm going to be bold and guess the software is exactly the same too!  

 

So AK figured they "wouldn't make a replacement any time soon for the existing flagship AK240".  This comment came from a very high level person I spoke to working for AK not too long ago... They simply decided to obsolete the AK 240 unit by repackaging it with a different chassis!!!

 

I have been debating between the AK240 and Cord Hugo and had I already purchased the AK240 I would be really pissed off right now. Yes they were not planning on replacing the AK240.. lol (Not Funny)

post #112 of 2766

I don't have the 240.  It is still at the top of my list thought because it still stands alone for what I need unless I go to a stack.

post #113 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post

Wow I just had a chance to look at the AK home page and compared the specs between the new AK120 II and the existing flagship AK240 and other then the memory size difference (128 vs. 256 respectfully) its the exact same screen technology including screen size, specs and the internal Amp and DAC section.  I'm going to be bold and guess the software is exactly the same too!  

So AK figured they "wouldn't make a replacement any time soon for the existing flagship AK240".  This comment came from a very high level person I spoke to working for AK not too long ago... They simply decided to obsolete the AK 240 unit by repackaging it with a different chassis!!!

I have been debating between the AK240 and Cord Hugo and had I already purchased the AK240 I would be really pissed off right now. Yes they were not planning on replacing the AK240.. lol (Not Funny)

If the ak240ii has a better battery which it doesn't seem like it or doesn't take a toll on the battery it would be okay. With half the storage capacity of a stock 240 I think it's not worth it IMO.
post #114 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post

 

I have been debating between the AK240 and Cord Hugo and had I already purchased the AK240 I would be really pissed off right now. Yes they were not planning on replacing the AK240.. lol (Not Funny)

See the problem with this choice, is the Cord Hugo cannot play a single note unless some kind of player is attached to it. So while you can compare the sound sig of both the AK's and the Hugo, they are not the same type of product therefore it is not really an either or choice.

post #115 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1 View Post

 

So AK figured they "wouldn't make a replacement any time soon for the existing flagship AK240".  This comment came from a very high level person I spoke to working for AK not too long ago... They simply decided to obsolete the AK 240 unit by repackaging it with a different chassis!!!

 

Someone said earlier in this thread that AK is given its models a slightly different software so they does not sound as good as the more expensive ones.

post #116 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGroove View Post
 

 

Someone said earlier in this thread that AK is given its models a slightly different software so they does not sound as good as the more expensive ones.

 

That only makes me think that Astell and Kern is even worse, purposely making something worse through software imho is shameful. :(

post #117 of 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGroove View Post
 

 

Someone said earlier in this thread that AK is given its models a slightly different software so they does not sound as good as the more expensive ones.

Just because someone says it does not mean its true. Black Sabbath wrote an album with the title describing what some of us think at times :veryevil: 

post #118 of 2766

I want to know does the AK120 II has native DSD support?

http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak120/ak120_2_feature01.asp shows (DSD to PCM)

but here http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak120/ak120_2_spec.asp shows its Native DSD

post #119 of 2766
Thread Starter 

.


Edited by seeteeyou - 11/4/14 at 8:37pm
post #120 of 2766
They really are on a roll.

If you read to the end of the article, they've even released an Astell & Kern bike! lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II