Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Does higher bitrate produce more, clean volume?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does higher bitrate produce more, clean volume? - Page 2

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdone
Same thing on my 40G ipod after I switched to Apple lossless. Ever so often is has a skip 20sec into the song. Sometimes it plays part of the song and skips to the next. I haven't any reports of this but not sure how many are using the new format. It's still worth using even with the occassional errors.
I believe that this has to do with the iPods memory buffers. Since the files are so much larger than lossy formats like mp3, the buffer fills up and empties much faster than it would with smaller files. Say the iPod as a 5MB buffer. With mp3 that's just about enough to contain an entire song without having to read from the HDD again. With Apple Lossless that's probably like 30 seconds worth of audio. The buffer has to work much harder to keep the sound seamless.

I wouldn't question the codec, but I would question the iPod's ability to handle its playback.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_1matst
I believe that this has to do with the iPods memory buffers. Since the files are so much larger than lossy formats like mp3, the buffer fills up and empties much faster than it would with smaller files. Say the iPod as a 5MB buffer. With mp3 that's just about enough to contain an entire song without having to read from the HDD again. With Apple Lossless that's probably like 30 seconds worth of audio. The buffer has to work much harder to keep the sound seamless.

I wouldn't question the codec, but I would question the iPod's ability to handle its playback.
That explanation would make sense but I was using AIFF files before, which are more than twice as big, and never had any problems. I think it's a bug because when it does hiccup, it always does it at the same spot, 20 seconds. I haven't figured out the pattern for when it actually skips to the next song yet.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
hmmm. When you say 20 seconds, do you mean at the beginning of each track, or just one song you play? What I noticed is similarity of the errors themselves. When there is a skip it sounds the same...I believe 3 breaks then resume play. Will check to see if it's at same spot in tracks, and if it plays correctly in Itunes desktop.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranswer
hmmm. When you say 20 seconds, do you mean at the beginning of each track, or just one song you play? What I noticed is similarity of the errors themselves. When there is a skip it sounds the same...I believe 3 breaks then resume play. Will check to see if it's at same spot in tracks, and if it plays correctly in Itunes desktop.
I think it actually 15 seconds in and it only happens about every 5 songs or so. I don't think how often it happens is a pattern is just the place in the song. If you rewind the song, it won't pause in that spot so it's not the recording. I've even done a restore on the Ipod to see if that will fix it. It's either a bug and the current ipods cannot handle the new codec flawlessly.

As I said, I haven't had any problems with iTunes on a pc. Perfect.
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
I've ripped two CDs with AL. One (Gordian Knot) is a disc with traditional 4-6 minute songs (not traditional music, however BTW). The other is Transatlantic, on which the first track is 20 minutes long (prog rock CD). The Transatlantic disc skips in several spots on that first track (still listening through the rest of the CD). The Gordian Knot does not skip at all. Could it be related to length of continuous play music? I'm considering deleting the Transatlantic to re-rip as a lame mp3 just so I can enjoy the album without interruption. It's a difficult call as I'd almost prefer to endure the momentary glitches over the unsatisfying experience of lossy compression music files (back to original thread topic).
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranswer
I've ripped two CDs with AL. One (Gordian Knot) is a disc with traditional 4-6 minute songs (not traditional music, however BTW). The other is Transatlantic, on which the first track is 20 minutes long (prog rock CD). The Transatlantic disc skips in several spots on that first track (still listening through the rest of the CD). The Gordian Knot does not skip at all. Could it be related to length of continuous play music? I'm considering deleting the Transatlantic to re-rip as a lame mp3 just so I can enjoy the album without interruption. It's a difficult call as I'd almost prefer to endure the momentary glitches over the unsatisfying experience of lossy compression music files (back to original thread topic).
Looks like you got a different problem then me. I have these mediation cds ( www.awakenedminds.com ) that have rain sounds and binarial beats (non-audible) and one track is 70 minutes long, one 54 minutes, and a couple of other 24 min., and it doesn't skip at all playing them. It also didn't have any problem when they were AIFF either. I've never had it pause more than once in the song when it does randomly happen. I'm using a 40 GB ipod.

edit: I still think this is a source or portable audio discussion doesn't belong in the headphone group.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Does higher bitrate produce more, clean volume?