or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 4749

Efeist, thanks for the info!

 

Can anyone take some unboxing picture?

 

Would love to see the packageing of the product and the styrofoam.

 

I am visiting US in few months so planning if it can get into my travelbags :)

 

 

The volts, in many Picture of the back i see it is 100-120 or 200-230 volts. Can anyone confirm if this retail product really work in 110v and 230v too? In other word it  can work everywhere.

 

Thanks

post #92 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post
 

Efeist, thanks for the info!

 

Can anyone take some unboxing picture?

 

Would love to see the packageing of the product and the styrofoam.

 

I am visiting US in few months so planning if it can get into my travelbags :)

 

 

The volts, in many Picture of the back i see it is 100-120 or 200-230 volts. Can anyone confirm if this retail product really work in 110v and 230v too? In other word it  can work everywhere.

 

Thanks

 

I posted pics in the other thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/699787/new-oppo-ha-1-ces-2014/135#post_10530152

 

According to the back panel, the unit is dual voltage, but I don't have any way of testing. The manual also states "The 
acceptable power input range is AC 110 V - 120 V ~ / 220 V - 240 V ~, 50 / 60 Hz".

 

//TB

post #93 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post


I feel that simple bass / treble adjustment would be enough for me, and very welcome. If the amp is too warm or analytical for your headphones these simple adjustments can go a long way.

 

I could be wrong in my understanding, but I think of "too warm" and "analytical" as being primarily as descriptors of (perceived) frequency response.

 

Between 20 Hz and 20kHz, the Oppo HA-1's rated specs are:

* DAC:     +0 / -0.07 dB

* preamp: +0 / -0.04 dB

* amp:      +0 / -0.04 dB

 

The oft-used term "ruler flat" actually applies here .. the Oppo is not adding coloration to the music. Some people would undoubtedly like to tweak the signal somewhat, but the need to do so would be based on the HEADPHONE' and LISTENER's characteristics and preferences. (IMO, just based on reading the specs. I do not have an HA-1. Yet, anyway.) 

post #94 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post

I could be wrong in my understanding, but I think of "too warm" and "analytical" as being primarily as descriptors of (perceived) frequency response.

Between 20 Hz and 20kHz, the Oppo HA-1's rated specs are:
* DAC:     +0 / -0.07 dB
* preamp: +0 / -0.04 dB
* amp:      +0 / -0.04 dB

The oft-used term "ruler flat" actually applies here .. the Oppo is not adding coloration to the music. Some people would undoubtedly like to tweak the signal somewhat, but the need to do so would be based on the HEADPHONE' and LISTENER's characteristics and preferences. (IMO, just based on reading the specs. I do not have an HA-1. Yet, anyway.) 

Yes, exactly. Personal preference whether to a headphone signature or to massage a particular song. Not saying it's essential but sometimes it's nice to tweak. 99% of the time I don't use EQ, but it would be nice to have the choice, and I really do prefer the simple bass / treble adjustments. Just old school I guess. Or just getting old.

I've seen people buy multiple amps to get the right synergy with headphones or music preferences, but at this level I think that bass / treble would be enough. Doesn't hurt to ask since they've included everything else. smile.gif
post #95 of 4749
Thread Starter 

I have one of the last version of the beta units.  I did some switching around between a Northern Fidelity NF DAC (it is not common in the states, but project86 reviewed here at head-fi), a burson soloist SL and the HA-1 beta.  Specifically, the HA-1 separately, the NF DAC/Burson combo separately, the HA-1 Dac feeding the HA-1 amp and Burson, the NF DAC feeding the burson and the HA-1.

 

What it boiled down to (my ears, half arsed volume matching, non-blind, etc) was the two DACs sounding slightly different.  The amp sections were really not noticeably different to my plebeian ears.  The HA-1 has a nicely implimented ESS-9018 chip, the HA-1 has a nicely implemented TI PCM1796 DAC chip.  The dac sections sound a bit different from each other.

 

What it boiled down to even more, was volume matching.  Once I got the volumes close (by ear, no science here...) the differences were very minor.

 

I will eventually repeat this effort with the Bufrost Uber / Asgard 2 combo I'm using now - I am curious to hear the results.


Edited by aamefford - 5/9/14 at 12:09pm
post #96 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post
 

Efeist, thanks for the info!

 

Can anyone take some unboxing picture?

 

...

 

The volts, in many Picture of the back i see it is 100-120 or 200-230 volts. Can anyone confirm if this retail product really work in 110v and 230v too? In other word it  can work everywhere.

 

Thanks

 

Pictures below.

 

Unit works just fine at 230v, however it only ships with the standard NEMA 5-15 (110 v) plug in the US.  You would probably need a new cord if you export it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #97 of 4749

 

 

 

 

Just the start of his article, to be added to . . .

post #98 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
 

^ (to expand on #1 a little...)
You don't need a separate pre-amp. The HA-1 can be used as a pre-amp, with it's output going direct to a power amplifier.
However, you still can use it with a separate pre-amp if you want to. There is a "HT Bypass" mode available so that the HA-1's volume control is bypassed,
and thus you can use the volume of an amp/pre-amp instead, or the volume control of a media device.

 sorry for newbie question.

 

If i use "HT Bypass"  is it a  buttom on the remote control or why can't see the buttom on the amp?

 

And for those people that use computer usb out  and using foobar, why can i change the volume in the computer? And that mean if i use HA-1 as preamp then it will bee volume on volyme, both on computer and then preamp, doesn't it destroy the sound quality? It is so on my intergrated amp right now.                                     


Edited by mr-duke - 5/9/14 at 1:57pm
post #99 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post
 

 sorry for newbie question.

 

If i use "HT Bypass"  is it a  buttom on the remote control or why can't see the buttom on the amp?

 

And for those people that use computer usb out  and using foobar, why can't i change the volume in the computer? And that mean if i use HA-1 as preamp then it will bee volume on volyme, both on computer and then preamp, doesn't it destroy the sound quality? It is so on my intergrated amp right now.                                     

The Home Theater Bypass is done via the GUI interface by pressing Source button five times until that menu displays then rotate the Source knob to change from Standard to Bypass.

 

Oppo decided that it was better to disable volume adjustments done on the computer when the USB DAC mode was active to prevent people from creating distortion or other audio noise when most commonly used keyboard volume adjustments with a Mac for example.   Some audio software can override this USB disable volume adjustments.

post #100 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamefford View Post
 

I have one of the last version of the beta units.  I did some switching around between a Northern Fidelity NF DAC (it is not common in the states, but project86 reviewed here at head-fi), a burson soloist SL and the HA-1 beta.  Specifically, the HA-1 separately, the NF DAC/Burson combo separately, the HA-1 Dac feeding the HA-1 amp and Burson, the NF DAC feeding the burson and the HA-1.

 

What it boiled down to (my ears, half arsed volume matching, non-blind, etc) was the two DACs sounding slightly different.  The amp sections were really not noticeably different to my plebeian ears.  The HA-1 has a nicely implimented ESS-9018 chip, the HA-1 has a nicely implemented TI PCM1796 DAC chip.  The dac sections sound a bit different from each other.

 

What it boiled down to even more, was volume matching.  Once I got the volumes close (by ear, no science here...) the differences were very minor.

 

I will eventually repeat this effort with the Bufrost Uber / Asgard 2 combo I'm using now - I am curious to hear the results.

 

A Bifrost/Uber + Asgard 2 comparison would be insanely helpful.  

 

It would be a good place to start getting a bead on this. 

post #101 of 4749

Sorry for wrong typing before, i mean i current can change the volume on foobar when using my usb dac and intergrated amp, i am afraid that HA-1 will behave like this too.

 

To HiFiAudio: so you mean it depends on the dac designer/manufactore if they allow the computer to change volume or not.

 

Thanks

post #102 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post

Sorry for wrong typing before, i mean i current can change the volume on foobar when using my usb dac and intergrated amp, i am afraid that HA-1 will behave like this too.

 

To HiFiAudio: so you mean it depends on the dac designer/manufactore if they allow the computer to change volume or not.

 

Thanks

You should make sure that both windows playback device (your Dac) and foobar volume are set to maximum and you use your integrated amp volume to adjust volume as needed
post #103 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post
 

Efeist, thanks for the info!

 

Can anyone take some unboxing picture?

 

Would love to see the packageing of the product and the styrofoam.

 

I am visiting US in few months so planning if it can get into my travelbags :)

 

 

The volts, in many Picture of the back i see it is 100-120 or 200-230 volts. Can anyone confirm if this retail product really work in 110v and 230v too? In other word it  can work everywhere.

 

Thanks

Leave the box in the US, it will fit easily in your carry on bag.

post #104 of 4749

Sorry for the minor question, but does the remote have buttons that actually depress into the body or are they of the bubble diaphragm variety?

post #105 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


You should make sure that both windows playback device (your Dac) and foobar volume are set to maximum and you use your integrated amp volume to adjust volume as needed

 

I also saw an option (checkbox) in the Windows drivers to always set the volume to 100%.

 

//TB

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread