or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread - Page 56

post #826 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyf1312 View Post


Is the JRiver software an annual fee or just a one time payment?

It is a one time payment and you are purchasing a perpetual license with undefined term of upgrade rights.  I recently purchased it myself so I dunno how often that an upgrade fee is required, but it looks like the last time was version 8.x (where JRiver is now on version 19), here is where it says permanent (perpetual).  If there is a major release that requires upgrade purchase, there is still the option to continue using the latest version before an upgrade cost with your perm code... as long as you want.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

 

Also, during the first 14 days you are allowed to use your install key to activate the app from several installs... covering your home PC(s) as well as work PC via one license purchase (each generated key is machine specific, and you can generate new keys for your PCs 10 times a year).  That is pretty awesome IMO.  Reference:  http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html 

 

Q: Can I install on more than one PC?
A: During the two-week period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the Install Key you received to activate the program on your other PC’s. You may use the program on your work PC and on your home PC's with a single license.

post #827 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyhack View Post

It is a one time payment and you are purchasing a perpetual license with undefined term of upgrade rights.  I recently purchased it myself so I dunno how often that an upgrade fee is required, but it looks like the last time was version 8.x (where JRiver is now on version 19), here is where it says permanent (perpetual).  If there is a major release that requires upgrade purchase, there is still the option to continue using the latest version before an upgrade cost with your perm code... as long as you want.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

Also, during the first 14 days you are allowed to use your install key to activate the app from several installs... covering your home PC(s) as well as work PC via one license purchase (each generated key is machine specific, and you can generate new keys for your PCs 10 times a year).  That is pretty awesome IMO.  Reference:  http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html 

Q:
 Can I install on more than one PC?

A:
 During the two-week period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the Install Key you received to activate the program on your other PC’s. You may use the program on your work PC and on your home PC's with a single license.

Thanks! Looks pretty darn interesting.
post #828 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasturTheYellow View Post

Generally if you had responded back that you wanted specific applications to be recommended, rather than just what input on the HA-1 you should use, the CSR would fire back with recommendations.

Sure, if it's clear that you need third party software, you can then ask the question as to which apps are supported or recommended.
I appreciate that the CSR's at Oppo are responsive.
post #829 of 4750
I'll need to revisit some of the players. It's been a while since I checked out Audirvana and I've not tried JRiver yet. Also, that Teac and Korg offer players is interesting to me particularly since both have models that claim to support DSD natively (DS-DAC-100 and UD-301 respectively).

Thanks for the feedback thus far smily_headphones1.gif
post #830 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

I'll need to revisit some of the players. It's been a while since I checked out Audirvana and I've not tried JRiver yet. Also, that Teac and Korg offer players is interesting to me particularly since both have models that claim to support DSD natively (DS-DAC-100 and UD-301 respectively).

Thanks for the feedback thus far smily_headphones1.gif

If your on a budget you might look that direction, otherwise:

 

  • UD-301 limited to 24bit/192kHz PCM, using 2 x BurrBrown PCM1795 digital-to-analog converters, 100mW + 100mW @32Ω
  • DS-DAC-100 limited to 24bit/192kHz PCM, using Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter,  85mW + 85mW @32Ω
  • Oppo HA-1 supports DSD256 natively  with PC ASIO driver - Mac limited to DSD128 without driver, supports 32bit/384 kHz PCM, uses ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC, 500mw + 500Mw@32Ω in unbalanced and 2000mw + 2000mw@32Ω into balanced.

Edited by HiFiAudio - 6/24/14 at 8:30pm
post #831 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

I'll need to revisit some of the players. It's been a while since I checked out Audirvana and I've not tried JRiver yet. Also, that Teac and Korg offer players is interesting to me particularly since both have models that claim to support DSD natively (DS-DAC-100 and UD-301 respectively).

Thanks for the feedback thus far smily_headphones1.gif

I use aurdirvana and amarra symphony on my imac with the HA-1 and aurdirvana does nicely with DSD files while amarra does not support the DSD files. I like both but aurdirvana is use to use and works well with the HA1 without any hitches

post #832 of 4750
+1 Audirvana Plus.
post #833 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post
 

If your on a budget you might look that direction, otherwise:

 

  • UD-301 limited to 24bit/192kHz PCM, using 2 x BurrBrown PCM1795 digital-to-analog converters, 100mW + 100mW @32Ω
  • DS-DAC-100 limited to 24bit/192kHz PCM, using Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter,  85mW + 85mW @32Ω
  • Oppo HA-1 supports DSD256 natively  with PC ASIO driver - Mac limited to DSD128 without driver, supports 32bit/384 kHz PCM, uses ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC, 500mw + 500Mw@32Ω in unbalanced and 2000mw + 2000mw@32Ω into balanced.

Nice round up - thank you!

FWIW, Teac claims that the UD-301 does DSD256 natively via USB. The Korg unit also claims native DSD support but I don't recall if it claims DSD256 support. Clearly the HA-1 has much more firepower than the other two :)


Edited by konoyaro - 6/24/14 at 9:35pm
post #834 of 4750
Thankfully you can play DSD files on Windows using free Foobar2000 with add-on
post #835 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post

 

The other call was that this was an excellent unit for people who want a no-nonsense, one-stop end unit that does most things well.  I agree with that but that's not me, that's why I think this amp will be moving on out of my collection.

curious to know what you will keep in your collection instead

post #836 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
 

curious to know what you will keep in your collection instead

 

I honestly have too much stuff right now. For amps I primarily use an Audio-gd master 8, probably soon to be replaced by a GSX-mkII.  I switch between sources with a Schiit Gungnir as my primary DAC.

 

My plan is to give this to a friend who doesn't have any gear, this should be a good setup for someone who just wants great performance in a simple package.

post #837 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post
 

 

I honestly have too much stuff right now. For amps I primarily use an Audio-gd master 8, probably soon to be replaced by a GSX-mkII.  I switch between sources with a Schiit Gungnir as my primary DAC.

 

My plan is to give this to a friend who doesn't have any gear, this should be a good setup for someone who just wants great performance in a simple package.

 

You regularly _give_ $1300 amps to friends? Where do we sign up? :)

post #838 of 4750
I have a suggestion for possible future meter visual upgrade...

Make the red area light up when needle reaches it (!)
smily_headphones1.gif
OR ..
Have a red dot light on each meter that blinks when the needle enters the "red zone" wink.gif
Lol
post #839 of 4750

 

Nice setup!

 

Quote:
Have a red dot light on each meter that blinks when the needle enters the "red zone" wink.gif

Hmmm, I don't know about that, after all I think the the visualization of analog meters is in its self very impressive for a LCD back lit display. :smile_phones:

post #840 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post




Nice setup!

Hmmm, I don't know about that, after all I think the the visualization of analog meters is in its self very impressive for a LCD back lit display. smile_phones.gif
The meters do look incredibly real...
Maybe a thicker needle with variable shadow effect would be nice too.
tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread