or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread - Page 53

post #781 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

Lets say in the near future i want a balanced tube amp to drive LCD3, would the Woo Audio WA-22 a good combo? I never own or hear tube amp ever, so maybe i would like to have a high end one. But it seems that Woo Audio products are hard to get in Malaysia. I also read the review on Alo Studio 6, but too bad it isn't balanced amp. 

 

Would someone be kind enough to guide me on how to read the amp spec? normally what are the figures that you guys are looking for in Headphone amp? 

 

This is getting off topic, want to ask a opinion about the LCD3 with the Woo Audio ask it in the correct thread.  HA-1 is preferred here.


Edited by HiFiAudio - 6/17/14 at 11:52pm
post #782 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post
 

 

This is getting off topic, want to ask a opinion about the LCD3 with the Woo Audio ask it in the correct thread.  HA-1 is preferred here.

arg... pardon me for that. 

post #783 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post


The Pan Am amp pairs well with the Audeze lineup. Keep in mind the Pan Am gives more options to play with the sound by trying different tubes, but this alone can get out of control expensive. Some tubes also may not have a good synergy with the LCD-3. Also, the DAC in the Pan Am is good but nothing special IMO.

At the end of the day I prefer my HA-1.

 

U have your point too. maybe i shall stick to HA-1. my mind keeps thinking of amp!!

post #784 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquexme View Post
 

U have your point too. maybe i shall stick to HA-1. my mind keeps thinking of amp!!

If you want any spec of the HA-1 explained, ask away.

post #785 of 4750

Now I've had the chance to try the HA-1 in a few scenarios, such as a HP amp and pre-amp with the in-built DAC and external DACs, here are my thoughts:

 

The HA-1 is about spot-on for value. It isn't the most resolving DAC or amp compared to, say, my Master 7 or Hugo. I was talking to anakchan about it and the word he used was "polite" which I tend to agree with. I've had mixed results with ES9018-based DACs and the HA-1 is one of the better ones, not having the flatness to the sound poorer implementations have. Comparing the inbuilt DAC to the Master 7 using the inbuilt amp rather than an external amp or speakers, the greater resolution of the Master 7 was less apparent. In the same manner, the Hugo as a DAC/amp was more resolving with the HD-800s or LCD-X/XC, as well as Oppo's PM-1s.

 

Functionality-wise it is mostly well thought-out, my only gripe is that the mute switch is only on the remote control and the volume control seems to lag at times and not have good "knob feel". Also, not something that would affect most people, but when I switched my system off from my Power Plant Premier with the HA-1 plugged in, it reset itself to direct line out mode and blasted my ears the next time I tried to play music through my speakers.

 

IMO the HA-1 with a pair of PM-1s or other planars and a pair of Emotiva active speakers would make for a good-value home entertainment system along with whatever sources one prefers. 

post #786 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

Now I've had the chance to try the HA-1 in a few scenarios, such as a HP amp and pre-amp with the in-built DAC and external DACs, here are my thoughts:

 

The HA-1 is about spot-on for value. It isn't the most resolving DAC or amp compared to, say, my Master 7 or Hugo. I was talking to anakchan about it and the word he used was "polite" which I tend to agree with. I've had mixed results with ES9018-based DACs and the HA-1 is one of the better ones, not having the flatness to the sound poorer implementations have. Comparing the inbuilt DAC to the Master 7 using the inbuilt amp rather than an external amp or speakers, the greater resolution of the Master 7 was less apparent. In the same manner, the Hugo as a DAC/amp was more resolving with the HD-800s or LCD-X/XC, as well as Oppo's PM-1s.

 

Functionality-wise it is mostly well thought-out, my only gripe is that the mute switch is only on the remote control and the volume control seems to lag at times and not have good "knob feel". Also, not something that would affect most people, but when I switched my system off from my Power Plant Premier with the HA-1 plugged in, it reset itself to direct line out mode and blasted my ears the next time I tried to play music through my speakers.

 

IMO the HA-1 with a pair of PM-1s or other planars and a pair of Emotiva active speakers would make for a good-value home entertainment system along with whatever sources one prefers. 

Well said Amos and I agree as I have been living with the HA-1 and been using the Hugo as the main amp system. The HA-1 for 1200.00 represent excellent value and is less than half of my hugo-ak240 combo. It does represent value with build quality and sound excellent for the price and what you get. Oppo builds terrific stuff and is really a high value proposition.

post #787 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Well said Amos and I agree as I have been living with the HA-1 and been using the Hugo as the main amp system...
I would have assumed U use the Hugo as dac and ha-1 as amp. (?)
smily_headphones1.gif
post #788 of 4750

 

The things some do to keep entertained. :wink: 

 

Good example of auto decrease of volume when changing modes.

post #789 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post


The things some do to keep entertained. wink.gif  

Good example of auto decrease of volume when changing modes.

He doesn't seem very angry to me...
post #790 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

He doesn't seem very angry to me...
Oooo..
I see you have a silver one (?) In your avatar.
lol
The black version brushed face glistens with shine.
Just excellent build quality. .
Edited by Maxx134 - 6/18/14 at 5:37pm
post #791 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

He doesn't seem very angry to me...
Oooo..
I see you have a silver one (?) In your avatar.
lol
The black version brushed face glistens with shine.
Just excellent build quality. .

That's not mine, but a pic from the net.
I am waiting on the silver one to come in stock though. wink.gif
post #792 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiAudio View Post



Good example of auto decrease of volume when changing modes.
At first I thought I would miss that special separate click sound the
GS-X MKII volume made when I first tried it..

But the HA-1 volume is so smooth and solid that I now much prefer it to any click volume knob.
Being motorized is a HUGE plus as well smily_headphones1.gif

I do think it is a bit "thick" when manually turning though,
But that feel makes it seem more solid to me..
post #793 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


I would have assumed U use the Hugo as dac and ha-1 as amp. (?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I been using the Oppo as a stand alone becaus eit is a review sample. I will try it with the Hugo when I am going through all the review stagesbut right now most people will be using the HA-1 with the internal sabre dacs so i been listening to it as deisgned but will use all the features and use the Hugo. The Hugo dac is a major step up.

post #794 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post


I would have assumed U use the Hugo as dac and ha-1 as amp. (?)
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I been using the Oppo as a stand alone becaus eit is a review sample. I will try it with the Hugo when I am going through all the review stagesbut right now most people will be using the HA-1 with the internal sabre dacs so i been listening to it as deisgned but will use all the features and use the Hugo. The Hugo dac is a major step up.

It better be for the twice the price
post #795 of 4750
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegausany View Post


It better be for the twice the price

 

You would think so but like I said earlier, audiophile technology pricing is a fickle thing which is more of "what can we get away with charging" rather than representative R&D+production costs etc with a normal profit margin. Oppo do this a lot less than some other manufacturers, partly because they hit the mid audiophile point and sell in considerable quantities. They stake their reputation on good value and good quality, rather than just good quality. The fact is, that many will say and believe the Hugo DAC is better simply because it is more expensive. In reality, it may be no better or only every so slightly better. For example I have compared an Audiolab M-DAC with a Benchmark DAC 2 which is much more expensive (almost 3 times the cost), and while I can hear little differences, I cannot say one is better than the other.


Edited by jonstatt - 6/20/14 at 6:38am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread