or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread - Page 28

post #406 of 4749

will do.

post #407 of 4749

I have an HA-1 here, with some PM-1 headphones. As expected, the match is felicitous (bonus points for the SAT word).

 

There's a lot of horsepower on tap. High-gain drives the daylights out of everything, including a pair of Abyss AB-1266. Wasn't expecting that.

 

Detail retrieval is very good. Not a surprise with that DAC chipset. 

post #408 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasturTheYellow View Post

 

The output impedance of the RCA/XLR outputs is 100Ohm. Same as our line of Blu-ray players.

 



And what about the headphone out? Actually, what I really want to know is the output impedance of BDP-105's headphone out, which I have.
post #409 of 4749
HA-1 headphones output is less than 1 ohm as it was said earlier a few times already
post #410 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

If you hear something at a trade show or meet, you should say as much. Impressions with the unit at home over a longer period are certainly more desirable. 


That had to be said...... Fred!

post #411 of 4749

When will HA-1 be available in Hong Kong?

post #412 of 4749
What about compare HA-1 vs SABRE DA-8 ? I have HD800 headphones.
The price is similar. I am hearing metal and J.M.Jarre styles. Any tips and recomendations?
post #413 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuClear235 View Post

What about compare HA-1 vs SABRE DA-8 ? I have HD800 headphones.
The price is similar. I am hearing metal and J.M.Jarre styles. Any tips and recomendations?
I compared Matrix X-Sabre Dac when using HA-1 as amp only with HD800 connected to balanced out using Cardas cable and heard no difference
post #414 of 4749

So I had the HA-1 (PM-1) loaner from Oppo Digital Japan (distributor) for over a week and ashamed to say that I've not unboxed it till yesterday when I had a friend pop by to give the Oppo a shot.

 

Using the HA-1 as a DAC -XLR-> the Eddie Current Electra -> Stax SR-009, it seems to emphasise on the treble range more so than the Invicta (v1.0) despite both being ESS9018's.

 

We also spent a lot of time comparing whole unit combos :-


Oppo: HA-1 -> Balanced -> PM-1

Stax: Invicta -> Balanced -> Electra -> SR-007Mk1/SR-009

 

The Oppo setup to my ears had a closed holographic presentation whilst with the Stax it was more open sounding.

 

I'll spend more time listening to the HA-1 with the PM-1 balanced and unbalanced, and with other headphones tonight. And will try doing HA-1 <-> Invicta comparisons tomorrow night.

post #415 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

So I had the HA-1 (PM-1) loaner from Oppo Digital Japan (distributor) for over a week and ashamed to say that I've not unboxed it till yesterday when I had a friend pop by to give the Oppo a shot.

Using the HA-1 as a DAC -XLR-> the Eddie Current Electra -> Stax SR-009, it seems to emphasise on the treble range more so than the Invicta (v1.0) despite both being ESS9018's.

We also spent a lot of time comparing whole unit combos :-


Oppo: HA-1 -> Balanced -> PM-1
Stax: Invicta -> Balanced -> Electra -> SR-007Mk1/SR-009

The Oppo setup to my ears had a closed holographic presentation whilst with the Stax it was more open sounding.

I'll spend more time listening to the HA-1 with the PM-1 balanced and unbalanced, and with other headphones tonight. And will try doing HA-1 <-> Invicta comparisons tomorrow night.

Do you think you're hearing the same thing as Frank l with regard to the hard edge he reported? He mentioned that it went away and the sound opened up after 72 hours. Funny that I didn't hear anything harsh with the XC, but I don't have anything to do a direct comparison at the moment. That, or my ears are starting to fail me! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Edit: haha 300th post! I need a life tongue.gif
Edited by x RELIC x - 5/25/14 at 11:26pm
post #416 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post


Do you think you're hearing the same thing as Frank l with regard to the hard edge he reported? He mentioned that it went away and the sound opened up after 72 hours. Funny that I didn't hear anything harsh with the XC, but I don't have anything to do a direct comparison at the moment. That, or my ears are starting to fail me! eek.gifbiggrin.gif

 

Maybe I should let it run overnight for a few days. I switch off when I'm not using usually and it's a loaner for another week before I have to pass the Oppo set to Currawong.This unit though was used in the Fujiya Demo for 2 days in early May so I thought it would have had a decent burn in then.

 

Anyway, no offence to XC fans but I'm not certain how anything could sound harsh on those cans ;-)...to my ears at least. Yesterday's test was a little extreme putting up the HA-1 next to the Invicta and both DACs through the Electra and SR-009. I'll try with my TH-900 cans tonight instead.

post #417 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Maybe I should let it run overnight for a few days. I switch off when I'm not using usually and it's a loaner for another week before I have to pass the Oppo set to Currawong.This unit though was used in the Fujiya Demo for 2 days in early May so I thought it would have had a decent burn in then.

Anyway, no offence to XC fans but I'm not certain how anything could sound harsh on those cans ;-)...to my ears at least. Yesterday's test was a little extreme putting up the HA-1 next to the Invicta and both DACs through the Electra and SR-009. I'll try with my TH-900 cans tonight instead.

I chucked at the XC comment!wink.gif

And yeah, give it a fair fight man. Putting it up against a 4K DAC through a 4k amp? rolleyes.gif That's a whole different level. Haha!
post #418 of 4749
AnakChan, is the unit you have a pre-production unit? I wonder what, if any, changes were made before they released it?
post #419 of 4749
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post

AnakChan, is the unit you have a pre-production unit? I wonder what, if any, changes were made before they released it?

 

Nope it shouldn't be. AFAIK Oppo received the production units just before the Fujiya Show 11th May few weeks back. They just sent one to me after the show.

post #420 of 4749

Just ordered mine, going to try it in different combo's with Valhalla, Gungnir, Mjolnar(am I the only one that has to look up the spelling on these every time I type them, even though I own them :/?), and E17/E09K(WTH), with LCD-XC's, Sennheiser HD650's (silver drivers), Ultrasone Pro900's, Sony XB1000's, and for IEMs, Universal Roxanne's, Shure SE500-PTH, and TripleFi 10's, using AK100(MK I), AK240, and computer for sources.  Looking forward to the fun and posting!

 

Pretty excited!!  Took much willpower not to order the 105D and PM-1's at the same time, some selling must happen first if that is to be... as it is some gear must go if I keep the HA-1 (the AK100 is already on it's way out for sure once the AK240 gets here).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread