Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread - Page 13

post #181 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by docBliny View Post
 

 

I was actually struggling with my simple A/B test since I had to unplug and replug between the amps when I was testing last weekend. I was considering putting together a custom cable to be able to flip between the amps, but in the end I'd really would have wanted to make sure the switch doesn't have any chance of shorting the output of both amps together so I didn't bother.

 

//TB

 

I had a FiiO HS2 that was great for it and when I did lots of AB testing I couldn't reliably tell many neutral SS amps apart. Hints of something here and there but, for instance, the Schiit Magni/Modi vs the O2/ODAC was damn near impossible for me with somewhat of volume matching.

post #182 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post

 

I really don't get this statement.  I don't really see anything being obvious.

 

 

Keanex's point - which i wholehearted agree with - is that amps dont have any sound (let's leave aside tube amps for now).    If it is well-designed, has suitable current and voltage swing capabilities, all you need to know is the noise floor and the dynamic range of the amp.   The HA-1 is a Class A amp with more than enough oomph and enough juice to drive most headphones - it is pretty much as good as a solid state amp is going to get.   

post #183 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
 

 

Keanex's point - which i wholehearted agree with - is that amps dont have any sound (let's leave aside tube amps for now).    If it is well-designed, has suitable current and voltage swing capabilities, all you need to know is the noise floor and the dynamic range of the amp.   The HA-1 is a Class A amp with more than enough oomph and enough juice to drive most headphones - it is pretty much as good as a solid state amp is going to get.   

 

Sorry, newbee here again:)

 

From what i have read in this thread, the HA-1 don't generate any noise, it is very clean if i am right, but i have maybee missed the dynamic range, how is it?

 

If all SS amp that are neutral and do it right with no coloration and noise floor is clean. Does i mean i should find the cheapest amp that have these quality?  Hehe is it hard to find a SS amp between 100-300 $ that do these stuff good?

post #184 of 1249

There are good SS amp on that price range. Check Schiit, Audio-gd and Objective 2 (O2).

post #185 of 1249
I wonder if those gorgeous platforms I see in all of the promo event photos will be available for the HA-1.
Edited by x RELIC x - 5/13/14 at 3:31am
post #186 of 1249
I have yet to encounter any amp whose sound can be described by specs alone. There seem to be characteristics of amps that measurements cannot capture. Not that specs aren't important. They just don't capture everything.
post #187 of 1249

Impressions of the HA-1 with PM-1 driven balanced here, not much actually, it's more for the pictures I guess: http://www.head-fi.org/t/718268/tokyo-2014-spring-fujiya-avic-headphone-festival-impressions/30#post_10543185

post #188 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by x RELIC x View Post

I wonder if those gorgeous platforms I see in all of the promo event photos will be available for the HA-1.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699787/new-oppo-ha-1-ces-2014/90#post_10508568
post #189 of 1249

Okay so I have more a technical question. Have you guys been using power hungry headphones (planars, HD800) with the single ended output? From the specs it seems like if you want the power necessary to feed these you need to go balanced. Am I wrong? I usually am...

post #190 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-duke View Post
 

If all SS amp that are neutral and do it right with no coloration and noise floor is clean. Does i mean i should find the cheapest amp that have these quality?  Hehe is it hard to find a SS amp between 100-300 $ that do these stuff good?

 

Not all SS amps - all *well-designed* SS amps.   In other words, amps which have a beefy power supply and current capabilities, which are able to handle varying impedance loads and power demands.      Very inexpensive amps may measure well but lack the current capabilities of larger/beefier amps (Op amps only take you so far).   Depending on what you are driving, that may or may not matter.     With a more varying load (eg, a headphone with widely varying impedance), you'll need to spend more.

 

IMO, $500-800 or so is the sweet spot for a good solid-state design that can provide more than ample power and which will sound virtually indistinguishable to more expensive amps in a level-matched comparison.   

 

Others may feel differently, and may be able to hear differences - which is fine.   Good for them.

post #191 of 1249
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
 

Okay so I have more a technical question. Have you guys been using power hungry headphones (planars, HD800) with the single ended output? From the specs it seems like if you want the power necessary to feed these you need to go balanced. Am I wrong? I usually am...

I have used both balanced and SE with my Alpha Dogs (Mr. Speakers Fostex T50RP based headphone - planar magnetic).  I didn't notice much if any difference.  I use the Oppo PM-1 single ended.  It is a planar magnetic also, though very efficient and 32 ohm.

 

Oppo reports using the HE6 on high gain with good result.  Granted, I would expect Oppo to report this.  I never get out of "normal" gain for any reason other than just to experiment.

 

disclaimer - Beta tester and fanboy - 


Edited by aamefford - 5/13/14 at 12:23pm
post #192 of 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
 

Okay so I have more a technical question. Have you guys been using power hungry headphones (planars, HD800) with the single ended output? From the specs it seems like if you want the power necessary to feed these you need to go balanced. Am I wrong? I usually am...

 

I've used the HA-1 with Sennheiser HD800s, no issues there. I also did a quick test with my Beyerdynamic DT880/600 and no issues there either, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time.

 

I switched over to "normal" gain for the HD800s and it's been plenty loud and no issues with SQ.

 

//TB

post #193 of 1249

I would love to see a comprehensive review on the HA-1 similar to the one project86 did for the Violectric V200. :)

post #194 of 1249

Thanks! Guess I missed that one. Doh!
post #195 of 1249

Still waiting on HA-1 - TH-900 impressions.....*tapping fingers*

 


Edited by Shenook - 5/13/14 at 4:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread