or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › I was about to upgrade to HD600, but now the HE-400 is $299. What do I do?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I was about to upgrade to HD600, but now the HE-400 is $299. What do I do? - Page 3

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


No, jumped straight from the Q's to the 650's and haven't looked back. I love their sound even using my O2.

When you get chance try th HD600's. They have a touch more treble than the HD650's and might be more helpful for your purposes. The treble is not grating, it's just right.

post #32 of 56
I did read that when researching but I was worried they'd still be towards the Q701 end of the spectrum. I actually like every single aspect of the 650 signature - it fits my mind like a glove. With every other headphone I've owned I've listened to the sound. With the 650 I listen to the music.
post #33 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post

I did read that when researching but I was worried they'd still be towards the Q701 end of the spectrum. I actually like every single aspect of the 650 signature - it fits my mind like a glove. With every other headphone I've owned I've listened to the sound. With the 650 I listen to the music.

It won't hurt to try. The HD600's are neutral, not overly bright. It's worth a try, trust me.

post #34 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

It won't hurt to try. The HD600's are neutral, not overly bright. It's worth a try, trust me.

I take your point Stan but I'm finished buying headphones for the foreseeable future. I really like the warmth of the 650's which is what you appear to be steering me away from. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here right now and I've never heard it so good. Well maybe back in the day, when I was on the same stuff they were.

smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


I take your point Stan but I'm finished buying headphones for the foreseeable future. I really like the warmth of the 650's which is what you appear to be steering me away from. I'm listening to Wish You Were Here right now and I've never heard it so good. Well maybe back in the day, when I was on the same stuff they were.

smily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gifsmily_headphones1.gif

I take it that your wallet is still recovering from HAS.

HAS = Headphone Acquisition Syndrome.

post #36 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

I take it that your wallet is still recovering from HAS.
HAS = Headphone Acquisition Syndrome.

I don't think it will ever recover. I spent a lot of money this year trying all sorts of combinations but what I have now has sated my appetite. I still have the Crack to buy but I'm unconvinced it'll sound better than my O2. It will sound different though and I suspect it may be even more to my liking. Plus, valves look cool.
post #37 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorrofox View Post


I don't think it will ever recover. I spent a lot of money this year trying all sorts of combinations but what I have now has sated my appetite. I still have the Crack to buy but I'm unconvinced it'll sound better than my O2. It will sound different though and I suspect it may be even more to my liking. Plus, valves look cool.

Clearly you are on the road to perdition. Enjoy the ride.

post #38 of 56
I have a hard time imagining it truly is end game for you, some time the pm-1/2 or LCD-2 will call your name or something like that :P
Have you considered the me schiit Valhalla 2? It's pretty sweet, has stupendous amount of headroom for your 650
post #39 of 56
At the end of the day, it also depends on your musical preferences. I listen exclusively to classical and jazz, and have both the HE-500s and the HD600s. Whilst the HE-500s sound fantastic on some recordings, I definitely use the HD600s more. They seem to work extremely well whatever you throw at them and scale well with improvements in source and amplification. So far, I have found the Audio-gd SA31 to be the best match, but OTL tube amps also work extremely well (if you are in the US, the Bottlehead is the obvious choice).

The HE-400 is more efficient than the 500, but will still sound a little "wooly" on the end of most OTLs (some of the bigger Darkvoice amps notwithstanding).

The HD600 is a safe choice, and something of a "gold standard". Think of it as the VW Golf of headphones...
post #40 of 56
I drive a modded Golf. It's a torque monster like my 650's.
post #41 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I have a hard time imagining it truly is end game for you, some time the pm-1/2 or LCD-2 will call your name or something like that :P
Have you considered the me schiit Valhalla 2? It's pretty sweet, has stupendous amount of headroom for your 650

David:

 

Have you heard the 650 with both the Crack and the Valhalla? My Crack will come in this week and I was trying out the 650 with the Zana Deux. Very nice SQ. But I have heard lots of good things about the Valhalla-650 pairing.

Thanks

post #42 of 56
I'd like to hear a direct comparison too. Schiit makes for an easier purchase.
post #43 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

David:

 

Have you heard the 650 with both the Crack and the Valhalla? My Crack will come in this week and I was trying out the 650 with the Zana Deux. Very nice SQ. But I have heard lots of good things about the Valhalla-650 pairing.

Thanks

Haven't heard any of the amps, just throwing it out there. I like what schiit has done to their lyr 2 and valhalla 2.

post #44 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I have a hard time imagining it truly is end game for you, some time the pm-1/2 or LCD-2 will call your name or something like that :P
Have you considered the me schiit Valhalla 2? It's pretty sweet, has stupendous amount of headroom for your 650

 

I have a hard time reading this seriously. 

HD-600 have been pretty much rock solid since they came out. 

The LCD-2 were superceeded by the LCD2mk2 how quickly? How long before that before the LCD3 overthrew them? And then the LCD-X? 

If you make your choices for "endgame" based on what has the highest volatility, yea, the HD600 arent right. If you value stability and consistency the only better headphone is the HD800. 

post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongod View Post
 

 

I have a hard time reading this seriously. 

HD-600 have been pretty much rock solid since they came out. 

The LCD-2 were superceeded by the LCD2mk2 how quickly? How long before that before the LCD3 overthrew them? And then the LCD-X? 

If you make your choices for "endgame" based on what has the highest volatility, yea, the HD600 arent right. If you value stability and consistency the only better headphone is the HD800. 

Yeah, that rotten HD600 is bad for the economy and bad for HAS (Headphone Acquisition Syndrome). In addition to my HD600, I also have an HE-500. I didn't consider the HE-400 since it has IMO an wonky FR.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › I was about to upgrade to HD600, but now the HE-400 is $299. What do I do?