or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K712s Worth it?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I have been looking into getting a new pair of headphones to go with a Schiit Magni/Modi combo connected via optical to the Xonar DG for surround sound, and I'm strongly considering the AKG K712s. I was wondering, however, if they were really worth $350+ or if theirswould be a better more cost efficient alternative.
Edited by DanielMiracle - 5/5/14 at 9:43am
post #2 of 21

I got these recently and they hurt my ears. The frequencies sounds forced. For example, a normal human voice may fall in the mid range, but because of harsh peaking with these things there's a resonant reproduction in the mid-hi. I was going to use them for (hobbyist) mixing and mastering but they're too colored.

 

in terms of price I can't speak too much but everything else about them is nice (texture, soundstage, punch, comfort, look) so yeah I guess not a bad deal

 

wouldn't recommend tho in general.

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegoat View Post

I got these recently and they hurt my ears. The frequencies sounds forced. For example, a normal human voice may fall in the mid range, but because of harsh peaking with these things there's a resonant reproduction in the mid-hi. I was going to use them for (hobbyist) mixing and mastering but they're too colored.

in terms of price I can't speak too much but everything else about them is nice (texture, soundstage, punch, comfort, look) so yeah I guess not a bad deal

wouldn't recommend tho in general.
What headphones would you recommend then? I'll be using them mainly for music and gaming.
post #4 of 21

I mostly listen to classical music (various eras) and I am fond of the related AKG K-702.  

So long as your amplification is sufficient I'd expect you to get good performance out of the K-712s.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the Magni/Modi combo, so can't advise on that point.

 

But experience with the AKG is rather polarizing.  When amplified well, they really

click for some people, but for other listeners, they just don't work out.  To go in this direction, I'd

say that "sonic image" would be one of your important criteria.  That's a key 

strength.  Also, to go in this direction you'd probably be concerned with clarity and

ability to resolve small differences.  E.g, if you want to distinguish between

the upper register of a bass clarinet vs. the the lower register of an alto clarinet buried

amidst the sounds in that wind quintet, then AKG will rate well I think.

 

I have a feeling they might be pretty great for gaming (again, assuming good amp

match).  They give a terrific sense of space.  

 

What music would you say is most important for you?


Edited by flatmap - 5/5/14 at 7:26pm
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmap View Post

I mostly listen to classical music (various eras) and I am fond of the related AKG K-702.  
So long as your amplification is sufficient I'd expect you to get good performance out of the K-712s.
Unfortunately I haven't heard the Magni/Modi combo, so can't advise on that point.

But experience with the AKG is rather polarizing.  When amplified well, they really
click for some people, but for other listeners, they just don't work out.  To go in this direction, I'd
say that "sonic image" would be one of your important criteria.  That's a key 
strength.  Also, to go in this direction you'd probably be concerned with clarity and
ability to resolve small differences.  E.g, if you want to distinguish between
the upper register of a bass clarinet vs. the the lower register of an alto clarinet buried
amidst the sounds in that wind quintet, then AKG will rate well I think.

I have a feeling they might be pretty great for gaming (again, assuming good amp
match).  They give a terrific sense of space.  

What music would you say is most important for you?
Yeah, I was swayed towards them because of Mad Lust Envy's headphone guide/ review on them. He said they were some of the best for gaming he'd used. Keeping mind he only plays console though, but does use Dolby Headphone.

& as far as music goes, I'd have to say I'm partial to classical, but I like to throw a bit of pop in the mix occasionally.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMiracle View Post


Yeah, I was swayed towards them because of Mad Lust Envy's headphone guide/ review on them. He said they were some of the best for gaming he'd used. Keeping mind he only plays console though, but does use Dolby Headphone.

& as far as music goes, I'd have to say I'm partial to classical, but I like to throw a bit of pop in the mix occasionally.

Well, with your interests it's a very reasonable headphone to try.

 

If they're like the K-702's they'll require a lot of break-in to sound right.

I have a feeling this may happen as the ear pads gradually form to your

head... but not sure if the 712's even have the same ear pads or not.

 

I guess if I were you, as a next step, I'd search the discussion threads and see if you

can find anyone using the Schiit gear you mentioned.  The amp matching

is key -- at least in my experience with the K702. 

post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmap View Post
 

Well, with your interests it's a very reasonable headphone to try.

 

If they're like the K-702's they'll require a lot of break-in to sound right.

I have a feeling this may happen as the ear pads gradually form to your

head... but not sure if the 712's even have the same ear pads or not.

 

I guess if I were you, as a next step, I'd search the discussion threads and see if you

can find anyone using the Schiit gear you mentioned.  The amp matching

is key -- at least in my experience with the K702. 

Yeah, I'll be sure and do that. However, right now I'm very undecided on headphones. You're experience with them has me just a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and buy them. I was considering the HE-400s, but they seem to focus more on bass than anything else. 

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMiracle View Post
 

Yeah, I'll be sure and do that. However, right now I'm very undecided on headphones. You're experience with them has me just a bit hesitant to pull the trigger and buy them. I was considering the HE-400s, but they seem to focus more on bass than anything else.

re: game, I find in shooters (I mostly play cs:go) the highs can be a little sibilant since a lot of these effects don't seem to have the attention a professionally released song does (thus not tamed correctly). also my big thing is the resonant peak otherwise they seem to be good for the price!

post #9 of 21

The K712 has bigger bass than K701/702 models, but less sound-stage. 

it doesn't have a good tonal accuracy (it might sound "plasticky" at times). 

with some amps. it is forgiving.. while with others - it is considered fatiguing.

 

The Magni is a solid-state amp. which competes with the O2... It tries to give you as much details as possible, extended to the fullest..

So, the K712 has a good chance of be fatiguing with this kind of amp.

post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
What you s
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal1983 View Post

The K712 has bigger bass than K701/702 models, but less sound-stage. 
it doesn't have a good tonal accuracy (it might sound "plasticky" at times). 
with some amps. it is forgiving.. while with others - it is considered fatiguing.

The Magni is a solid-state amp. which competes with the O2... It tries to give you as much details as possible, extended to the fullest..
So, the K712 has a good chance of be fatiguing with this kind of amp.
What you said makes sense. How do you think the HE400s or HD600s would work? Also, what headphones would you suggest. (Keep in mind, they need a good sound stage for gaming)
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegoat View Post

re: game, I find in shooters (I mostly play cs:go) the highs can be a little sibilant since a lot of these effects don't seem to have the attention a professionally released song does (thus not tamed correctly). also my big thing is the resonant peak otherwise they seem to be good for the price!
Yeah, if I decide against those would the HD600s be a good option? What would you suggest?
post #12 of 21

HD600 are pretty good choice because in addition to them giving hi-fi sound, they are also forgiving and un-fatiguing...

post #13 of 21

Get the K612 pro

post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal1983 View Post

HD600 are pretty good choice because in addition to them giving hi-fi sound, they are also forgiving and un-fatiguing...
I wonder how good the sound stage is on them?
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post

Get the K612 pro
What's the difference between those and the K712s?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home