or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Weak part of my rig? From where to start from an upgrade?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Weak part of my rig? From where to start from an upgrade?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone!
After a couple of year of stand-by from liquid music and audio pc, yesterday i recuperated my little rig.
My setup is:
- Dac Destroyer
- Oatley tube amp K272 with some little tweak
- AKG 240 II studio

Since my passage to mac that I've did last year, i didn't use it. (and i miss terribly my foobar with asio)
Anyway I think that my rig has a big potential yet.
If were your rig from which part do you start to upgrade it?
I don't have any kind of problem with DIY especially if is for spend less money and gain in quality.

 :) 

post #2 of 17
Well the Mac is probably the weakest part...
I find the options quite limited on OS X compared to Windows.

What player are you using?
If you're just using iTunes, then that is your weakest link.
A player like JRiver would probably be the best upgrade from that. There's a list of other iTunes alternatives for OS X here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes
Edited by StudioSound - 5/5/14 at 11:17am
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSound View Post

Well the Mac is probably the weakest part...
I find the options quite limited on OS X compared to Windows.

What player are you using?
If you're just using iTunes, then that is your weakest link.
A player like JRiver would probably be the best upgrade from that. There's a list of other iTunes alternatives for OS X here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/539740/mac-os-x-music-players-alternatives-to-itunes

Yes i know..infact i miss a lot foobar and i'am trying to port my custom version with winery.
Anyway i want to start with the hardware of the rig...maybe all diy..
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

Well, I think i would start from an amp all DIY much better, what model? :)

post #5 of 17

It really depends how much you would want to spend. I would go in the order of headphone > dac > amp however. Until you get a better headphone upgrading the rest does not yield much returns.

post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post
 

It really depends how much you would want to spend. I would go in the order of headphone > dac > amp however. Until you get a better headphone upgrading the rest does not yield much returns.

 

I can spend 150$ about for the amp.

You think that I should start from headphones to hear significant improvements? 

For me the order would have been amp > dac > headphone

post #7 of 17

I'm with rawrster on this.

 

Headphones will give you the biggest potential for SQ upgrade.  And it's no use even thinking about the amp until you know what you're driving.

 

Generally there is nothing wrong with the hardware on the Macs - and there are other options besides iTunes for software.  If you eventually go dac and amp, you can use the Mac as pure transport anyway - most of them have an optical port.

 

So I'd go headphones 1st - and then decide on amp vs dac after you ascertain:

* how good your current dac in the Mac you have is

* what hardware you need to drive your new headphones well

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
I don't know/i'm not pretty sure that my dac is so good and that could drive a better headphone or higher impedance.
It could limit too my akg now.. (if you know my amp)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsky3 View Post
 

 

I can spend 150$ about for the amp.

You think that I should start from headphones to hear significant improvements? 

For me the order would have been amp > dac > headphone


My preference is to start with the source as you can never do better than source will allow which in your case is the DAC.

 

It is a toss up as which is better to get first as far as the amp or headphones. These items need to work synergistically so they should be auditioned together perhaps along with the DAC as well

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsky3 View Post

I don't know/i'm not pretty sure that my dac is so good and that could drive a better headphone or higher impedance.
It could limit too my akg now.. (if you know my amp)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

 

Your DAC has nothing to do with driving a higher impedance headphone - that purely comes down to voltage and current - which resides with your amp.  And until you know what your headphone spec is - then the requirements for the amp are not known either.

 

I still say again though - sonically, the headphone will make the biggest change to any rig (assuming it's driven properly).

post #11 of 17

Usually source would be my first upgrade too if your headphones were good enough however I feel in this setup there is a good amount of improvement that can be gained in a better headphone.

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Your DAC has nothing to do with driving a higher impedance headphone - that purely comes down to voltage and current - which resides with your amp.  And until you know what your headphone spec is - then the requirements for the amp are not known either.

 

I still say again though - sonically, the headphone will make the biggest change to any rig (assuming it's driven properly).

 

Yes, i know, i meant the amp, that imho, is not still good to make sound at their beset my AKG
For this reason i said that maybe could be changed first of the headphone in my case because I don't know if the little oatley is capable to drive that impedance well.


Amp is also a good point to start maybe for the quality/price which i can have with a DIY project.

 

What project/kit do you know?

post #13 of 17

Maybe an O2 (http://www.headnhifi.com/o2-kit-full) - will be others who also stock the kit.  Here is a few pics of someone else's build - http://gregersblach.dk/objective2/

 

For other ideas you might need to search a couple of threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=diy+amp

post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Maybe an O2 (http://www.headnhifi.com/o2-kit-full) - will be others who also stock the kit.  Here is a few pics of someone else's build - http://gregersblach.dk/objective2/

 

For other ideas you might need to search a couple of threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=diy+amp

 

yeah, exactly, a kit like this, here in italy should cost under 80€ so I can spend even more for a better kit :)

post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
No one else wants to post some kit diy for amp or a dac?

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Weak part of my rig? From where to start from an upgrade?