or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DAC / headphone amp for beginner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAC / headphone amp for beginner - Page 2

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Some of the Amazon Basics stuff is really good. For instance, I don't most people realize that some of their rechargeable batteries are rebadged Eneloops.

I was kind of being tongue in cheek on that one since the OP said he spent $50 on a "decent quality" usb cable. How much does a high quality one cost? :confused_face:

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox157 View Post

I was kind of being tongue in cheek on that one since the OP said he spent $50 on a "decent quality" usb cable. How much does a high quality one cost? confused_face.gif

I don't know. I would love to do some blind tests with USB cables at a Head-Fi meet where we could use the same DAC/amp (because we could find two people with the same one) and see what happens wink.gif
post #18 of 24

I have found that length really makes a difference. Other then that I have trouble telling the difference between them but I was using the $1.50 one from Blue Jeans Cable on my old Modi so I probably have no room to speak on the matter :D

 

There is one down here in Texas at the end of the month, maybe I will try to get people to do that, just hope somebody brings a high quality usb cable or we will never know what we are missing.

post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox157 View Post
 

I was kind of being tongue in cheek on that one since the OP said he spent $50 on a "decent quality" usb cable. How much does a high quality one cost? :confused_face:

 

When I was shopping around for cables I saw usb cables that were $500 and above.  My intuition is that cables of that caliber are just carrying all the same 1s and 0s and not doing anything special.

post #20 of 24

your intuition is pocketfriendly :tongue_smile:

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post
 

 

When I was shopping around for cables I saw usb cables that were $500 and above.  My intuition is that cables of that caliber are just carrying all the same 1s and 0s and not doing anything special.

I agree with your intuition. More money for headphones hehe.

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox157 View Post

I agree with your intuition. More money for headphones hehe.

The only explanation I have seen that make sense why some of the more expensive USB cables might sound better is that some DACs don't properly implement the USB standard and benefit from the improved power handling of some of the better USB cable designs (apparently not all expensive USB cables actually implement that).

Doesn't seem worth worrying about. If one is worried about that, might as well go spdif. (lol)
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyal1983 View Post
 

If I were in your place, i'd certainly Go Audio-GD NFB-15.32 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm)

It's a great DAC/AMP combo. betters the ODAC/O2 in my opinion.

The DAC is smooth and warm, and the AMP has more power than you'll ever need.

it is suitable for just any headphones you ever gonna have (but electrostatics).

 

The schiity magni and modi are returned.  I have the next contestant coming in the mail, the NFB 15.32!

post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezy View Post

The schiity magni and modi are returned.  I have the next contestant coming in the mail, the NFB 15.32!

Wow...
Keep us posted on your impressions:-)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › DAC / headphone amp for beginner