Seems that no any headfier here talk about this DAC.
Last year I had an opportunity to A/B test some DAC in my two channels system. Ayre QB 9 DSD, Cary Audio (can't remember model), Chord Hugo, and North Star Design Impulso
My system are
- Cary Audio 303T SACD player
- Moon I7 RS integrated amp
- Martin Logan Vista
- MIT Oracle interconnection, IXOS speaker wire
Impulso is the cheapest in this A/B test. It has a smooth details and very relax. When play PCM file (convert to DSD on-the-fly via Jriver), the sound is smooth and analog like. Very impressive with this cheap DAC.
Anyhow, I have thousand of CD and still prefer to listen to them. So, that's the end of story
Late last year, due to illness of my wife, I don't have time to listen to my music system. I stay with my wife in the living room, and headphones seem to be a good solution, I can listen to music and it don't disturb my wife. That' a reason I'm here since last December.
I start to ripped my CD since then, and read all about the equipment in this forum. I purchase ESW11LTD and ATH-W5000 because I already have ATH-W1000 and like its sound characteristic. When come to DAC, I don't hesitate to order Impulso, it sound very good to my ears and cheap
- native DSD 2,8 and 5,6 Mbit/sec (also 3.072 and 6,144)
- PCM until 384/32 on USB.
- No driver need for MAC.
- Driver available for Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
- DAC flagship ESS Sabre ES9016S
- Digital filters are selectable from setup for PCM (high, low slope) and DSD.
- Phase selectable 0-180 degree.
- low jitter performances with PLL.
- THD 0,0003%.
- Analog output unbalanced and balanced connectors with true balanced circuit.
- Digital input on coax, toslink, USB2.0
I spend time play my HP set with various setting, on ASIO, PCM to DSD on-the-fly, Sound is crisp, clear, goods details.I use this mode for contemporary jazz and new age
For vocal, I prefer WASAPI, all PCM convert to DOP 1 bit, 5.6 MHz (by Jriver). With this setting, it sound warmer, more body, a little bit laid back.
I have DSD ISO around 80 albums, it all sound good either 2 channels or 6 channels file. Impulso can handle both well.
If anyone looking for a new DSD DAC, I recommend to audit this cheap Impulso. It's worth a try
Edited by mikroski - 5/4/14 at 12:32am