Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good Closed Headphones for Electronic Music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Closed Headphones for Electronic Music?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Looking for a good pair with a budget of about $200, want it to sound good with electronic (house,electro,etc.) but not to the point that there's so much bass that that's all it sounds good with.

post #2 of 14

V-Moda M-100 is unfortunately a bit over budget, but would be worth checking out. Another portable I like very much, even more versatile than the M-100, is the Beyerdynamic T51p. The AKG K545 might be a contender as well. While I don't know it myself the Audio Technica ATH-M50 is often recommended in that price range. Sennheiser HD-25II might also fit your taste.

post #3 of 14

Sennheiser Momentum sounds like it'd be right up your alley. The on-ear, not the over-ear. They're M100-ish (the XS is more neutral), comfy, sound good. Possibly the LP2 although they're bassier, but still highly recommended. 

post #4 of 14

v moda m100 idd en no **** but the beats pro sound great with that kinda music

post #5 of 14

Portable ? Sennheiser HD25-1 II or sennheiser amperior which seem a bargain price  $180 in the usa compared to here in europe

 

I'd get the NAD VISO HP50 over the momentum if wanting for house use mainly but seem to be $299 though.

 

How strict is the budget ? the bargain closed cans tend to be

 

amperior

hd25-1 II

sony mdr1

beyer dynamic dt770

audio technica m50

creative aurvana live 1/2

logitech ue6000


Edited by c64 - 5/3/14 at 4:01pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by c64 View Post
 

Portable ? Sennheiser HD25-1 II or sennheiser amperior which seem a bargain price  $180 in the usa compared to here in europe

 

I'd get the NAD VISO HP50 over the momentum if wanting for house use mainly but seem to be $299 though.

 

How strict is the budget ? the bargain closed cans tend to be

 

amperior

hd25-1 II

sony mdr1

beyer dynamic dt770

audio technica m50

creative aurvana live 1/2

logitech ue6000

 

+1

 

I would use the:

Amperior

ATH M50

Or used Ultrasone Pro 750

 

For your music. 

 

Cheers,

K

post #7 of 14

I listened to Ultrasone PRO 750 and Momentum over-ear with electronic music, and I think that both are a bit too bassy (similar quantity, Momentum is more controlled). Also PRO750 is treble bloated, and Momentum is the exact opposite in that regard. Comfort on Momentum is much superior to Ultrasones (low weight, soft leather pads). IMO PRO is not worth their price, but if you can find them for less $200 they might be worth considering, especially if you like exciting sound they produce (Momentum is mellow in comparison).

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee754 View Post
 

I listened to Ultrasone PRO 750 and Momentum over-ear with electronic music, and I think that both are a bit too bassy (similar quantity, Momentum is more controlled). Also PRO750 is treble bloated, and Momentum is the exact opposite in that regard. Comfort on Momentum is much superior to Ultrasones (low weight, soft leather pads). IMO PRO is not worth their price, but if you can find them for less $200 they might be worth considering, especially if you like exciting sound they produce (Momentum is mellow in comparison).

 

The Ultrasone are only having a bloated treble before they are properly burned in. After that they really go down on treble as well as the bass is not anymore bassy. The position on your head makes also a very big difference. When yo give them time, they sound actually quite amazon (I just took them out of my drawer today again to compare against the Momentum). Overall the Momentum is the better headphone.

 

Cheers,

K

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

The Ultrasone are only having a bloated treble before they are properly burned in. After that they really go down on treble as well as the bass is not anymore bassy. The position on your head makes also a very big difference. When yo give them time, they sound actually quite amazon (I just took them out of my drawer today again to compare against the Momentum). Overall the Momentum is the better headphone.

 

Cheers,

K

When you have enough time to get used to the sound then even worst headphone can sound amazing :). IMO break-in time is the best subjective indicator how bad headphone is.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee754 View Post
 

When you have enough time to get used to the sound then even worst headphone can sound amazing :). IMO break-in time is the best subjective indicator how bad headphone is.

 

Thats a very interesting theory indeed. I think break-in does exist, but its almost exclusively brain-based (i.e. getting used to a different sound signature) and physical pad break-in (i.e. getting softer with usage, giving better seal). I don't believe in driver break-in, especially not in the 100+ hours dimensions often quoted.

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee754 View Post
 

When you have enough time to get used to the sound then even worst headphone can sound amazing :). IMO break-in time is the best subjective indicator how bad headphone is.

 

No, bad sound always sound bad. And who said I was listening to the headphone while breaking it in? I rotate my headphones quite a lot, especially to not get used too much to a specific sound sig - how much time did you spend with these headphones? Driven out of which amps and with which source? I really don't like these generalizing statements without any details. Hearing is ALWAYS subjective. I have lend my Ultrasone recently to another headfier here and guess what, he thought they have a good bass and are overall very balanced. I guarantee you, I just listened to the Pro750 directly after my Momentums (same song) and there are no bloated highs. Sorry, am not hearing what you claim to have heard. Again, how long did you own your Pro750 and how did you drive it?

 

I invite you to listen to my Pro750 - and compare them to the Momentums - anytime.

 

EDIT: I am not saying that you heard something that wasn't there. But my experience with my set of Pro750 is different. But hey, maybe a different batch, they are a few years old already.

 

Cheers,


Edited by Koolpep - 5/4/14 at 3:33am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plakat View Post
 

 

Thats a very interesting theory indeed. I think break-in does exist, but its almost exclusively brain-based (i.e. getting used to a different sound signature) and physical pad break-in (i.e. getting softer with usage, giving better seal). I don't believe in driver break-in, especially not in the 100+ hours dimensions often quoted.

 

Yep, I am with you on that, I also think it's mostly in the head. There is some slight adjustments in the first few hours from the driver and the pads for sure,also the placement on the head etc. but the rest/majority is in your brain. However, comparing headphones - should still make them reveal their differences, IF they are there.


Edited by Koolpep - 5/4/14 at 3:46am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpep View Post
 

 

No, bad sound always sound bad. And who said I was listening to the headphone while breaking it in? I rotate my headphones quite a lot, especially to not get used too much to a specific sound sig - how much time did you spend with these headphones? Driven out of which amps and with which source? I really don't like these generalizing statements without any details. Hearing is ALWAYS subjective. I have lend my Ultrasone recently to another headfier here and guess what, he thought they have a good bass and are overall very balanced. I guarantee you, I just listened to the Pro750 directly after my Momentums (same song) and there are no bloated highs. Sorry, am not hearing what you claim to have heard. Again, how long did you own your Pro750 and how did you drive it?

 

I invite you to listen to my Pro750 - and compare them to the Momentums - anytime.

 

EDIT: I am not saying that you heard something that wasn't there. But my experience with my set of Pro750 is different. But hey, maybe a different batch, they are a few years old already.

 

Cheers,

I didn't say they are bad, I actually preferred their sound signature to Momentums, as I listen mostly to energetic music. But they have excessive energy in lower treble (4-6kHz), and it was very noticeable during listening (everything sounded fast and aggressive). I listened to them for about 5 hours from my O2+ODAC, before I decided that the comfort they offer is not worth $400 and returned them. Here is a CSD plot of PRO900, which according to many reviews is bassier/smoother version of PRO750 (treble relative to mids should be the same):

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/508/003/5d0a0f480e3c66bdcf9d115f684eb4e9.png

 

About break-in, we could argue here, I just believe that even bad sounding headphone can start being enjoyable after thousands hours of listening, but if their FR is highly deformed then there will be always something missing of course. 

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee754 View Post
 

I didn't say they are bad, I actually preferred their sound signature to Momentums, as I listen mostly to energetic music. But they have excessive energy in lower treble (4-6kHz), and it was very noticeable during listening (everything sounded fast and aggressive). I listened to them for about 5 hours from my O2+ODAC, before I decided that the comfort they offer is not worth $400 and returned them. Here is a CSD plot of PRO900, which according to many reviews is bassier/smoother version of PRO750 (treble relative to mids should be the same):

http://en.goldenears.net/en/files/attach/images/254/508/003/5d0a0f480e3c66bdcf9d115f684eb4e9.png

 

About break-in, we could argue here, I just believe that even bad sounding headphone can start being enjoyable after thousands hours of listening, but if their FR is highly deformed then there will be always something missing of course. 

 

Ok, fair enough :) I agree with you, nowadays for $400 you can get better headphones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good Closed Headphones for Electronic Music?