Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 

Now, I've been reading a lot of threads and reviews on headphones BUT I don't know which headphones will do well for the music I listen to.

 

So as said in the title, I like to listen to a lot of J-Pop and J-Rock.I would say that I am a bit of a treble head and I don't really like the bass all THAT much.

 

I am kind of on a strict budget on <$250 and the headphones must be on Amazon or a trusted site.

 

I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50S and the Etymotic HF5. Those are all running out on an HP laptop with a Fiio Andes E07K Amp/DAC for home use and on a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 for portable use (But I am looking for headphones for home using).

 

It would also be wonderful to have Amp/DAC recommendations but I am strictly looking at headphones as of now (though I am thinking about getting the Fiio E09K for my Andes).

 

Basically,

-I want headphones that has a decent soundstage (At least so I can tell the difference between the Audio Technicas)

-Nice sounding trebles and heavenly vocals (Little to no sibilance)

-Non-intrusive bass; non-warm

-Decent build quality (Don't want them breaking on me within like 2 weeks in)

-"Lively" sounding if that's the word I'm looking for

-And obviously a great overall sound

-REALLY good clarity and detail (Possibly more or par to my ATH M-50S)

-EDIT: Over-Ear Headphones (TOTALLY forgot to mention this)

-EDIT: I would also love it if the headphones would make me hold onto my bed as I listen to them as if I'm about to fly but that might be asking for too much :/

 

So yes, I am kind of asking for a lot I guess.

 

Currently, the headphone(s) I am looking at are...

 

- AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones

 

- SoundMAGIC HP200 (I decided to get these)

 

- ZMF Basic V1

 

- Sennheiser HD 598

 

 

Here are some songs that I usually listen to so you have an idea of what I listen to:

 

Complication (Still Struggle) (Click to show)

 

Kalafina - "Hikari no Senritsu" (Click to show)

 

Kalafina - "to the beginning" (Click to show)

 

EGOIST - "Extra Terrestrial Biological Entities" (Click to show)

 

Natsumi Kiyoura - "Tabi no Tochuu" (Click to show)

 

Chelly - "The Everlasting Guilty Crown" (Click to show)

 

Mika Kobayashi - "Bauklotze" (Click to show)

 

Yanagi Nagi - "Aqua Terrarium" (Click to show)

 

YUI - "Again" (Click to show)

 

Kanako Ito - "Hacking to the Gate" (Click to show)

 

FLOW - "COLORS" (Click to show)

 

Atari Kousuke - "Natsu Yuuzora" (Click to show)

 

Tainaka Sachi - "disillusion -2010-" (Click to show)

 

Linked Horizon - "Jiyuu no Tsubasa" (Click to show)

 

nano - "Just be Friends" (Click to show)

 

nano - "Dive In Your Eyes" (Click to show)

 

nano - "Omoide Kakera" or "Fragments of Memories" (Click to show)

 

Also, thanks and I might edit in and out of this post to add stuff!!

 

EDIT: I would much appreciate it if the headphones would sound amazing with ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - "Complication (Still Struggle)" (The song link is posted up above) as I listen to that song a lot!!

 

As you can see.. I've listened to that song over 5,000 times (>PowerAMP>Most Played List).


Edited by Feilong4 - 6/24/14 at 7:47pm
post #2 of 84
I think the q701 will suit you well smily_headphones1.gif
post #3 of 84

 

The Junior High girls I teach love the pro 700mk2 

Jpop is their thing. They like these alot.

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head/345

post #4 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzd View Post

I think the q701 will suit you well smily_headphones1.gif

Do you know if the Fiio E07K can drive the Q 701 properly? Also, thanks for the reply.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

 

The Junior High girls I teach love the pro 700mk2 

Jpop is their thing. They like these alot.

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head/345

 

After some reading, I think the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 is not exactly for me since I am looknig for "heavenly" mids and highs and not so much of the bass.

 

Thanks for the reply though.

post #5 of 84

How about the SoundMAGIC HP200?

post #6 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

How about the SoundMAGIC HP200?

Do you so happen to know how those headphones compare to the AKG Q 701 or to the Audio Technica ATH-M50S and also are those Open-backed?


Edited by Feilong4 - 5/3/14 at 11:23am
post #7 of 84

I haven't heard them myself but from reviews, they appear to be much like the Sennheiser HD 650 (number two ranked headphone on the site) but with a more V-shaped frequency response, making it lively and exciting (one of your preferences) as well as great detail. (another of your preferences) For under $250, I think that's pretty good. :D

 

Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp200

post #8 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garraty View Post
 

I haven't heard them myself but from reviews, they appear to be much like the Sennheiser HD 650 (number two ranked headphone on the site) but with a more V-shaped frequency response, making it lively and exciting (one of your preferences) as well as great detail. (another of your preferences) For under $250, I think that's pretty good. :D

 

Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp200

I'll look into it. Thanks!!

post #9 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post
 

I'll look into it. Thanks!!

 

No problem! :D

post #10 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feilong4 View Post

Do you know if the Fiio E07K can drive the Q 701 properly?

I've never heard the e07k so I can't say with certainty. Since the q701 can be found quite cheap these days you might want to look into picking up a schiit Vali also which should be perfect
post #11 of 84
I do think your best bet is to go with open headphones. I think you'll love the bigger soundstage smily_headphones1.gif

If you intend to use USB audio out with your Samsung, verify that it will work with the E07K. Some of the older generation FiiO portable dac/amps are not optimal for use with some Android versions and some devices. For instance, FiiO E17 wasn't a good match for my Note 2.

In addition to the Q701, you might like into the AGK K612. I haven't heard it, but have heard good things about it. For example, check out this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison
post #12 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzd View Post


I've never heard the e07k so I can't say with certainty. Since the q701 can be found quite cheap these days you might want to look into picking up a schiit Vali also which should be perfect

I'll give it a thought when I'm looking for an amp. I'm kind of leaning towards the SoundMAGIC HP200 unless someone can sway me otherwise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I do think your best bet is to go with open headphones. I think you'll love the bigger soundstage smily_headphones1.gif

If you intend to use USB audio out with your Samsung, verify that it will work with the E07K. Some of the older generation FiiO portable dac/amps are not optimal for use with some Android versions and some devices. For instance, FiiO E17 wasn't a good match for my Note 2.

In addition to the Q701, you might like into the AGK K612. I haven't heard it, but have heard good things about it. For example, check out this review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685483/akg-k702-the-classic-vs-k612-pro-the-upstart-review-and-comparison

 

Yeah, if I remember right, my Galaxy Player had no matches with like any amps/dacs but I could just be not looking hard enough. Also, thanks! I'll look into those headphones.

post #13 of 84
If the Galaxy Player does, you might have to use Voice Recorder Pro, which won't let you use your default media player but will allow for playing songs. Of course that kind of sucks.
post #14 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If the Galaxy Player does, you might have to use Voice Recorder Pro, which won't let you use your default media player but will allow for playing songs. Of course that kind of sucks.

Yeah, so I'm probably just going to use the headphones for home use. I mean I don't like wearing BIG headphones in public which is why I got the Etymotic HF5 for portable use and it sounds decent enough.

post #15 of 84
Thread Starter 

Bump.  Would like some last minute recommendations please. So far, swaying towards getting the SoundMAGIC HP200.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)