or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Altmann Tera-Player - Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Altmann Tera-Player - Thread - Page 39

post #571 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post
 

Anyone experienced issues with the class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) cards on their Tera player? I have a couple of those and they were working fine. When I reformatted the cards today and loaded some music on them, the Tera player couldn't read them, i.e. blue light constantly on. At first, I thought it was the files; I was converting flacs (which were previously converted from aiffs for my other DAPs) to wavs using XLD, so I took out the CDs and re-ripped them directly to wavs. Still no luck. I even tried another identical class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) card. Constant blue light. :(

 

Then I took out some old cards, class-10 32Gb Kingston (30mb/s), reformatted them and loaded the same tracks to one. Tera recognized and play the music instantly! Tried again on another class-10 32Gb Kingston (30mb/s), no problems.

 

I guess I can safely say the class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) card was the culprit. But why did it work fine for so long then?

Tera is one player with strong character both externally (the look) & internally.   My experience is slightly different from yours as I experienced the blue light continuously on when insert a card the very first time (but not necessarily happens every time, maybe once out of 10).  But this problem can be eliminated by pull the card out and re-insert. Why this happens?  No idea.   

post #572 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post

Anyone experienced issues with the class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) cards on their Tera player? I have a couple of those and they were working fine. When I reformatted the cards today and loaded some music on them, the Tera player couldn't read them, i.e. blue light constantly on. At first, I thought it was the files; I was converting flacs (which were previously converted from aiffs for my other DAPs) to wavs using XLD, so I took out the CDs and re-ripped them directly to wavs. Still no luck. I even tried another identical class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) card. Constant blue light. frown.gif

Then I took out some old cards, class-10 32Gb Kingston (30mb/s), reformatted them and loaded the same tracks to one. Tera recognized and play the music instantly! Tried again on another class-10 32Gb Kingston (30mb/s), no problems.

I guess I can safely say the class-10 32Gb Sandisk Extreme (60mb/s) card was the culprit. But why did it work fine for so long then?

I've had the same problem but with a Sandisk Ultra 128 Gb. 80mb/s, which btw is a SDXC card (not guaranteed by Charles).

Worked fine until I reformatted, not reading songs anymore afterwards.

For me the solution was reformatting completely through native windows explorer as EX-fat and then quick format only through a small SD card formatting tool as Fat (SD formatter if I remember correctly)

Works like a charm now :-)
Edited by ThaPapper - 1/8/15 at 2:13am
post #573 of 2256
Speaking of reading SD cards, the switch starting my Tera is not activated until about the last 0,2 mm. before the SD card is all the way inserted and that seems a bit critical to me.
Also it doesn't always start properly, sometimes I hear crackle and tak tak tak background noises and then after reinserting again it's gone.


Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this small activating distance was already when I received the new player.

Is this the same on other players?
post #574 of 2256

I have had some random blue light issues that don't seem to be related to any particular cards.

Rather the issue is when I replace some albums on SD cards with other albums sometimes the blue light stays on after that (seems completely random when this happens). For a long time I assumed this had something to do with the files themselves but have lately noticed that I have never run into this if I reformat the card and then copy all albums to it at once (select all folder I want on computer and copy). Maybe the issue is how Tera firmware handles SD card filesystem - maybe it even has something to do with the size of the buffer (maybe that was one of the reasons Charles increased the size of the buffer). I would be curious to hear whether anyone who has the latest firmware has ever run into the blue light issue.

post #575 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post

Tera is one player with strong character both externally (the look) & internally.   My experience is slightly different from yours as I experienced the blue light continuously on when insert a card the very first time (but not necessarily happens every time, maybe once out of 10).  But this problem can be eliminated by pull the card out and re-insert. Why this happens?  No idea.   

You misunderstand me. Constant blue light = constantly trying find playable music, which is there but the Tera isn't playing it. It's not the light I'm concerned about, it's the Tera inability to read any tracks in the SD card.
post #576 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post


You misunderstand me. Constant blue light = constantly trying find playable music, which is there but the Tera isn't playing it. It's not the light I'm concerned about, it's the Tera inability to read any tracks in the SD card.


I have not.  I have my Tera for two years in Feb and had encountered numerous occasions like yours...a constant blue light but no music.

post #577 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPapper View Post

I've had the same problem but with a Sandisk Ultra 128 Gb. 80mb/s, which btw is a SDXC card (not guaranteed by Charles).

Worked fine until I reformatted, not reading songs anymore afterwards.

For me the solution was reformatting completely through native windows explorer as EX-fat and then quick format only through a small SD card formatting tool as Fat (SD formatter if I remember correctly)

Works like a charm now :-)

Gosh, what a pain. Guess I'll have to get someone in my office to format the stupid cards again then. Thanks though.
post #578 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post


I have not.  I have my Tera for two years in Feb and had encountered numerous occasions like yours...a constant blue light but no music.

But the problem goes away for you when you extract and reinsert the card. Mine doesn't no matter how many times try, sometimes I even jiggle its sides in case it's not properly aligned. I even cleaned the contacts on the cards. Nothing works.
post #579 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post


But the problem goes away for you when you extract and reinsert the card. Mine doesn't no matter how many times try, sometimes I even jiggle its sides in case it's not properly aligned. I even cleaned the contacts on the cards. Nothing works.


I also had that problem too and at the end I reformatted the card and reloaded all the songs and the problem went away.  

 

Also, I have not used high speed SD cards and using Class 4 SDs only and it works even with 24/96 files.

 

Or you may try to get one cheap Class 4 to try out if the same songs start to play on Tera.

post #580 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgdinamo View Post

I have had some random blue light issues that don't seem to be related to any particular cards.
Rather the issue is when I replace some albums on SD cards with other albums sometimes the blue light stays on after that (seems completely random when this happens). For a long time I assumed this had something to do with the files themselves but have lately noticed that I have never run into this if I reformat the card and then copy all albums to it at once (select all folder I want on computer and copy). Maybe the issue is how Tera firmware handles SD card filesystem - maybe it even has something to do with the size of the buffer (maybe that was one of the reasons Charles increased the size of the buffer). I would be curious to hear whether anyone who has the latest firmware has ever run into the blue light issue.

You know, you may be on to something. Something weird first happened when I added more music to the card some month ago, the whole album was skipped over, the old music still played. I didn't bother with it for those few months. Then today, I thought I'd just redo the cards from scratch and that was it.

Curiously though, when I repeated exactly what I did with the Kingston cards, they worked beautifully. Both are class-10 SDHC cards, only difference is the speed -- Kingston at 30mbs and Sandisk at 60mbs. Certainly not a random occurrence for me. It was consistently fine with the Kingston and not with the Sandisk. I'm going to try to reformat the Sanfisk cards on a PC tomorrow as suggested by Papper and see if that solves the problem.
post #581 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymetothemoon View Post


I also had that problem too and at the end I reformatted the card and reloaded all the songs and the problem went away.  

Also, I have not used high speed SD cards and using Class 4 SDs only and it works even with 24/96 files.

Or you may try to get one cheap Class 4 to try out if the same songs start to play on Tera.

Man, I'd die of old age waiting to copy music on Class-4 cards haha! I've almost completely upgraded all my storage to SSD drives on Thunderbolt and transfer to my Extreme Pro cards at 95Mbs is at a nice pace. I'll try Papper's way, thank you very much. biggrin.gif
post #582 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post

You know, you may be on to something. Something weird first happened when I added more music to the card some month ago, the whole album was skipped over, the old music still played. I didn't bother with it for those few months. Then today, I thought I'd just redo the cards from scratch and that was it.

Curiously though, when I repeated exactly what I did with the Kingston cards, they worked beautifully. Both are class-10 SDHC cards, only difference is the speed -- Kingston at 30mbs and Sandisk at 60mbs. Certainly not a random occurrence for me. It was consistently fine with the Kingston and not with the Sandisk. I'm going to try to reformat the Sanfisk cards on a PC tomorrow as suggested by Papper and see if that solves the problem.

I suspect maybe 2 different issues:

Not playing at all might have to do with formatting issues and maybe a bit sensible firmware for finding files in different clusters on the card.

Not starting to play unless twice inserted might have to do with sensitive contact in the SD slot.
Which is why I previously posted my suspicion regarding the slot of my player. It's really sensitive and every now and then I really need to push the card all the way inside to start the player whereas I think the switch should activate at least 0,5 mm. before the card is all the way inside.
post #583 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPapper View Post

Speaking of reading SD cards, the switch starting my Tera is not activated until about the last 0,2 mm. before the SD card is all the way inserted and that seems a bit critical to me.
Also it doesn't always start properly, sometimes I hear crackle and tak tak tak background noises and then after reinserting again it's gone.


Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this small activating distance was already when I received the new player.

Is this the same on other players?

I have the 1st generation Tera and not sure how many microns to full penetration before it is activated but there is a very slight resistance near the end, at which point further insertion activates the Tera. It has always played the music almost instantly for me, unless I get the blue light of death, in which case I sometimes hear a very soft squeaky spinny sound, sometimes no sound at all. Extracting and reinserting has never changed anything for me and I've never experienced the tak tak tak or snap crackle pop sounds, thank God, and hope I never will.
post #584 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaPapper View Post

I suspect maybe 2 different issues:

Not playing at all might have to do with formatting issues and maybe a bit sensible firmware for finding files in different clusters on the card.

Not starting to play unless twice inserted might have to do with sensitive contact in the SD slot.
Which is why I previously posted my suspicion regarding the slot of my player. It's really sensitive and every now and then I really need to push the card all the way inside to start the player whereas I think the switch should activate at least 0,5 mm. before the card is all the way inside.

I don't think it's the contact; I've tried jiggling, cleaning, etc and nothing works with the Sandisk but I could easily insert the Kingston and they're fine. It's either the formatting issue or Tera doesn't like the Extreme 60mbs cards, which work fine on my other devices so I know it's not the cards (I even downloaded a couple of software to check if they were fakes!).

It is mostly likely a formatting issue, at least I'm hoping it is. The only thing I didn't do with the Kingston cards was reformat them, just erased everything and copy over.
post #585 of 2256
Quote:
Originally Posted by efftee View Post

I don't think it's the contact; I've tried jiggling, cleaning, etc and nothing works with the Sandisk but I could easily insert the Kingston and they're fine. It's either the formatting issue or Tera doesn't like the Extreme 60mbs cards, which work fine on my other devices so I know it's not the cards (I even downloaded a couple of software to check if they were fakes!).

It is mostly likely a formatting issue, at least I'm hoping it is. The only thing I didn't do with the Kingston cards was reformat them, just erased everything and copy over.

Does the label on your card say SDHC or SDXC?
The latter isn't guaranteed by Charles and thus might be more sensitive.
Interested to hear the formatting result.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Altmann Tera-Player - Thread