Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › open Headphones with large soundstage under $500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

open Headphones with large soundstage under $500

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 

I am in need of Audiophile guidance!

 

I currently own the ATH-M50's (shocker) and i am powering them with an Audioengine D1.  

The M50's do have a very nice, clear and full sound, however i find them very "closed." 

When i close my eyes and visualize where the sound is coming from, it's from the headphones, aka from inside/very close to my head.

 

I also own the Audioengine A5+ which are great, however i would love some open headphones which could give me more of that open / bigger soundstage feel.

 

At first i looked at the Beyerdynamic DT-990 and DT-880 but have since also looked at sennheiser HD-650.

 

The reason for the price jump is that i "unfortunately" listened to my friends' Grado GS1000's and i fell in love with that huge soundstage sound they have. So true to the live recordings and not fatiguing at all.

 

I do not plan on selling my M50's, since they still have their perks as closed headphones, however their lack of comfort and the semingly very small soundstage is a real problem for me.

post #2 of 30

How about considering the Sennheiser HD-600 also which can had for a decent discount?    They are a bit more plastic bodywise then 650's, but would fit with your liking open/bigger sound stage.  Very popular choice.


Edited by HiFiAudio - 5/1/14 at 12:36pm
post #3 of 30

Take a look at the AKG K712 pro. Great headphones, much improved bass over the other K7xx from AKG. They can be had for under $400 regularly. I got mine for $330. 

post #4 of 30

K701 / Q701 image / soundstage is really broad and open... one of the best in your price range, matching other cans that cost much more.

post #5 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
How about considering the Sennheiser HD-600 also which can had for a decent discount?    They are a bit more plastic bodywise then 650's, but would fit with your liking open/bigger sound stage.  Very popular choice.

 

The discount is only around $30 in my country (denmark), so would it still be worth it?

But if it is as you say, and they have a bigger sound stage, than it might be a better choice.

 

What about the sound stage of Beyerdynamics DT 880/990 compared to HD 600/650?


Edited by NiklasBrock - 5/1/14 at 12:39pm
post #6 of 30

K701 and its variants.

post #7 of 30
Thread Starter 

I don't really like the AKG K701 sound. I find the lower frequencies lacking, and the sound a bit fatiguing 

post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasBrock View Post
 

I don't really like the AKG K701 sound. I find the lower frequencies lacking, and the sound a bit fatiguing 

That's why I suggested the AKG K712, give them a try if you can. the comfort is much improved over the other K7xx. Also the low end has been boosted by 3dBa. Worth a listen I say. 

post #9 of 30

I'll throw another vote for the HD600.  Good headphone with a good soundstage, but not the biggest. HD650 if you want a touch more bass.  The HD598 has a big soundstage and is cheaper.  While I wouldn't put as an equal to the 600s,  its still a good and fun headphone.

post #10 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboose View Post
 

That's why I suggested the AKG K712, give them a try if you can. the comfort is much improved over the other K7xx. Also the low end has been boosted by 3dBa. Worth a listen I say. 

I am just trying to justify the price difference between DT-990 (144 €) and AKG K-712 PRO (398 €) 

 

I would love to be able to listen to them side by side, however so far, my local Hifi store only has closed beyers in stock, and no AKG/senn

 

Quote:
I'll throw another vote for the HD600.  Good headphone with a good soundstage, but not the biggest. HD650 if you want a touch more bass.  The HD598 has a big soundstage and is cheaper.  While I wouldn't put as an equal to the 600s,  its still a good and fun headphone.

I am kind of leaning towards Senn HD 650 right now. They are 322 € here putting me at:

 

Beyer DT-990 = 144€

AKG K-712 PRO = 398 €

Senn HD 650= 322 €


Edited by NiklasBrock - 5/1/14 at 1:03pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasBrock View Post
 

I am kind of leaning towards Senn HD 650 right now. They are 322 € here putting me at:

 

Beyer DT-990 = 144€

AKG K-712 PRO = 398 €

Senn HD 650= 322 €

 

I haven't listened to the AKG or the Beyer, so I can't really comment on those, sorry.

post #12 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSavior View Post
 

 

I haven't listened to the AKG or the Beyer, so I can't really comment on those, sorry.

Fair enough :) Would you describe the HD600/HD650's as warm/full or more as clear/bright? 

post #13 of 30

The akg's have great potential and the "bass issue" can be dealt with... http://hoved-fi.dk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3238

post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasBrock View Post
 

Would you describe the HD600/HD650's as warm/full or more as clear/bright? 

 

HD600: somewhat warm and clear

HD650: warm and full

post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiklasBrock View Post
 

Fair enough :) Would you describe the HD600/HD650's as warm/full or more as clear/bright? 

 

I'm in the camp that thinks most of the comments about the 600 and especially the 650 being veiled are kinda nonsense.

 

I found the 600s to be neutral and balanced with just a touch of warmth.  They are full sounding, and I guess could be described as enveloping, but nothing quite like an LCD2.  I found the 650 to have a touch more bass, tilting the sound signature a little more towards warm.  Other than that, they are largely similar, with differences only noticeable while A/Bing them.

 

I never found any issue with the treble on either.  In fact, the 650 coming out of a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir combo even sounded bright to me on certain recordings.

 

However, I wouldn't describe either as bright, but they aren't veiled either. Tyll at Innerfidelity did a pretty good review of both.

 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650


Edited by AnalogSavior - 5/1/14 at 1:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › open Headphones with large soundstage under $500