Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for some £200 music headphones.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for some £200 music headphones.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

So I mainly listen to bass heavy music (Dubstep, Deep house and DnB) but I do like to listen to rock every now then as well as playing games.

My budget is around £200. I don't have any requirements for portability but when it comes to bass I don't want it to overpower stuff when I watch movies for example.

I don't have a preference on over/on ear, whatever is best. Good build quality is a must though, as my previous pair of Astro A30's (horrible things)

broke. I found them extremely lacking when it came to music, wasn't hearing a full range of sounds and couldn't truly appreciate bass.

 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 

post #2 of 15

I don't actually have a pair myself (bought me some K550's(which I wouldn't recommend to YOU; basically no bass presence)), but I've been hearing some pretty great things about the Philips Fidelio X1's. I think they are around £140-£180 on Amazon.co.uk,  but if no one else replies you at least have that to go on.

 

Also as a fellow UK citizen you can snatch some GREAT deals on the Amazon UK Warehouse, I was looking yesterday and there's some Beyer headphones (these will be great for your taste, but may require some amping to drive) for a little over £100. Just my 2 cents.

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Would I be able to use my Astro mixamp for these?

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimbleDor View Post
 

So I mainly listen to bass heavy music (Dubstep, Deep house and DnB) but I do like to listen to rock every now then as well as playing games.

My budget is around £200. I don't have any requirements for portability but when it comes to bass I don't want it to overpower stuff when I watch movies for example.

I don't have a preference on over/on ear, whatever is best. Good build quality is a must though, as my previous pair of Astro A30's (horrible things)

broke. I found them extremely lacking when it came to music, wasn't hearing a full range of sounds and couldn't truly appreciate bass.

 

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! 


Hi,

 

You should consider Yamaha Pro-500. They seem to be great headphones for the genres you've listed.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-pro-500/reviews/10887

 

Best Luck!

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me x3 View Post
 


Hi,

 

You should consider Yamaha Pro-500. They seem to be great headphones for the genres you've listed.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-pro-500/reviews/10887

 

Best Luck!

Hmmm.. they look very nice. Possibly a bit too pricey.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimbleDor View Post

Would I be able to use my Astro mixamp for these?

Yes. The Mixamp is designed to work well with low impedance headphones like the X1. Given your tastes, those seem like a good choice for you smily_headphones1.gif

Check out this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Yes. The Mixamp is designed to work well with low impedance headphones like the X1. Given your tastes, those seem like a good choice for you smily_headphones1.gif

Check out this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Oh man, I'm close to buying these already. Are there any reasons not to?

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Yes. The Mixamp is designed to work well with low impedance headphones like the X1. Given your tastes, those seem like a good choice for you smily_headphones1.gif

Check out this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Oh man, is there any reason not to buy these?

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimbleDor View Post

Oh man, is there any reason not to buy these?

I have not heard them. When I was researching these, I went with the HE-400 instead, which are more expensive. But the HE-400 are harder to drive (mixamp might not reach the volumes you want), and they would not have the comfort that the X1 would have for extended gaming. So I didn't suggest them.

Tyll is acknowledged to be an excellent reviewer. If you really like what he's saying about them, I'd definitely go for it. But if you want to learn more about them, there is a giant discussion thread specifically for them in which you can read around in and ask questions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623013/new-philips-fidelio-x1
post #10 of 15

i have both the X1 & HE 400's. I don't think there's any reason NOT to buy the X1's, and the only reason NOT to buy the HE 400's are if you can go up to the 500's or one of their higher end models. Both headphones are fantastic. 

post #11 of 15

AKG K612pro is £112, nothing comes close for under £200. Fidelio X1 should be similar but with more bass but a lot more money.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post

AKG K612pro is £112, nothing comes close for under £200. Fidelio X1 should be similar but with more bass but a lot more money.

+1

That's a really good deal for that headphone.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


+1

That's a really good deal for that headphone.

It's what I paid for mine with free delivery and a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love them. Personally I prefer them to the £300 HD650.

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post

It's what I paid for mine with free delivery and a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love them. Personally I prefer them to the £300 HD650.

I understand. I'm not as enamored of the Sennheiser sound. I find like AKG's house sound better. And I've been wanting to try them. I've demoed the Q701s. An awesome headphone, but they weren't quite right for me. Everything that I've heard about the K612 suggests I'd probably like them.
post #15 of 15

Another vote for the AKG K612. You won't find anything better for that kind of money!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for some £200 music headphones.