or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 -- NEW THREAD!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 -- NEW THREAD!! - Page 3  

post #31 of 59

I'll definitely enter the raffle assuming I can find some cash by then.  Who carries cash anymore?  :P

 

I'm holding out to see what the HE-400i is like before I decide on any future purchases.  The 560 sounds like my dream headphone, but that's a lot of $$$...

post #32 of 59
Thread Starter 

Yeah man, I'd LOVE to hear the 560... I'm guessing the whole "better than the HE-6" thing was overblown right at launch, but I don't doubt they're great-sounding cans. If Fang wants to send us a pair of THOSE to donate to the meet... Then you guys are pretty much screwed, 'cuz I'd be keeping 'em for SURE. :P

 

Btw, getting some messages here and there about others that plan on attending too... Here's hoping you can make it, travisg!! Btw, Travis, you're the only other person I know with a MFW-15-- were you active on the old AV123 forums before they went belly-up? (I was a big AV123 fan before all their troubles... Still have the Ref 1s hooked up in my HT, and think they're spectacular for it, better for that than even my ATCs due to better dispersion characteristics and a slight treble emphasis that makes dialog even more easily intelligble. But I digress, as usual.)

 

Random side note 1: I just switched the pads on my HE-6 from the Audeze vegan pads to the HFM velours, and my first impression is... I really like the HFM velours better sound-wise!! They don't compare to the comfort on the vegans (those suckers are like pillows made of angel sighs wrapped lovingly around you ears), but the bass gained a significant amount of impact back (which, admittedly, could be due to the fact I hadn't glued the vegan pads down like I should have) and the treble finally came back out to play with the rest of the kids. (Okay, the treble definitely wasn't AWOL on the vegans, but but it was just a touch more recessed than I like... and I'm a guy who likes my treble). Don't know if anybody cares, but there it is. Considering bringing my pads to the meet too, but I'll probably leave them here, because I'd rather not mess around with 'em at the meet. (Side note 1A: I also realized today that only one of my channels has the quarter felt pad that both sides are supposed to have... but I haven't picked it up in listening yet, so either the difference isn't huge or I'm just deeeeef.)

 

Random side note 2: man, Ben was kind enough to lend me a pair of Beyerdynamic T51p cans until the meet, and man... I am really, really impressed. I took a bunch of notes for myself during the A-VCOA meet on Sunday, and I compared it directly to the NAD HP50 and thought it just utterly trounced it in all areas except the natural balance that the HP50 has-- everything just seems in perfect balance tonally with the NAD. Other than that though, the treble on the T51p was massively more articulate and clear, and guitar tone and texture (really important to me), which was just blurry on the HP50, was really beautifully detailed, especially for a portable can. And it's just incredibly fun to listen to!! I got a chance to compare it to the T70 side-by-side as well (definitely preferred the T51p, although the T70 was a touch more refined in the highs) and the V-Moda M100 separated by a few minutes (not close, the T51p is head, shoulders, and a pretty good-sized torso above the M100 in everything SQ-wise except bass quantity IMO). You guys really need to check this sucker out... I've been really, really impressed with it. And of course, now I really want a pair, although I have absolutely no use whatsoever for them right now. Dang awesome headphones and their stupid desirability... :P

 

Random side note 3: after seeing Purk carting around a Dell Venue Pro 8 at the A-VCOA meet and picking his brain about it a little bit, I gave in and ordered one, and it should be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to get it set up after work tomorrow so we can use it as another source. Keep yer fingers crossed!! (I plan on / am hoping to use it to replace my geriatric netbook as my media server/renderer in my primary setup). The reviews are great, the price is great, there's no fan noise, it's WAY faster than my older-than-dirt netbook, it's portable in a pinch, and I can play DSD from it? Yes please!

 

Okay, enough wine random notes. I'm gonna surf around a bit before hitting the hay... So stoked about this weekend that it's distracting me at work!! :D

post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
 

 

 

Random side note 2: man, Ben was kind enough to lend me a pair of Beyerdynamic T51p cans until the meet, and man... I am really, really impressed. I took a bunch of notes for myself during the A-VCOA meet on Sunday, and I compared it directly to the NAD HP50 and thought it just utterly trounced it in all areas except the natural balance that the HP50 has-- everything just seems in perfect balance tonally with the NAD. Other than that though, the treble on the T51p was massively more articulate and clear, and guitar tone and texture (really important to me), which was just blurry on the HP50, was really beautifully detailed, especially for a portable can. And it's just incredibly fun to listen to!! I got a chance to compare it to the T70 side-by-side as well (definitely preferred the T51p, although the T70 was a touch more refined in the highs) and the V-Moda M100 separated by a few minutes (not close, the T51p is head, shoulders, and a pretty good-sized torso above the M100 in everything SQ-wise except bass quantity IMO). You guys really need to check this sucker out... I've been really, really impressed with it. And of course, now I really want a pair, although I have absolutely no use whatsoever for them right now. Dang awesome headphones and their stupid desirability... :P

 

I will be VERY curious to compare the T51ps to my 1350s.  The 1350s are the best portable I've heard and I'm curious to know if the 51s really are a step up...

post #34 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline315 View Post

I will be VERY curious to compare the T51ps to my 1350s.  The 1350s are the best portable I've heard and I'm curious to know if the 51s really are a step up...
I was talking with Travis about this on PM last night. He also has the 1350s and plans on bringing them to compare. While I haven't had the pleasure of checking them out up to this point, I'm really interested to see how they stack up. I believe Ben said he preferred the T51p... Man, it would take a lot to beat these in their category and price bracket IMO. Gonna be a fun little shootout for sure wink.gif
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post


I was talking with Travis about this on PM last night. He also has the 1350s and plans on bringing them to compare. While I haven't had the pleasure of checking them out up to this point, I'm really interested to see how they stack up. I believe Ben said he preferred the T51p... Man, it would take a lot to beat these in their category and price bracket IMO. Gonna be a fun little shootout for sure wink.gif

Interesting.

 

Given how varied the different pairs of 1350s seem to be, we can compare mine to Travis' and see if they really are like a box of chocolates :P

post #36 of 59
Thread Starter 
Ha!! Yeah, Beyers kinda introduce that lottery dynamic to their experience with the whole QC thing... The T5p has the same issue. Wonder if the T51p is any better and/or more consistent in that regard?
post #37 of 59
Thread Starter 

Dinner is going to be at Puckett's downtown at 7:30pm tomorrow night! 

 

Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant: 

http://www.puckettsgrocery.com/

500 Church Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37219
(615) 770-2772

 

And anybody is welcome! If you're planning on coming, do please try to let me know before tomorrow evening so I can try to get a table that will accomodate us ;). 

 

Also, Zach's ZMF variants have arrived, and I'm really digging the looks of both of 'em!! Be great to hear what you guys think of 'em too!

 

IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!!!!

post #38 of 59
Thread Starter 
Just heard back from Peter, and the T5p won't be making it to the meet, as it's been delayed. My apologies to the folks who were excited to hear it... Ben, I'm sorry man, frown.gif
post #39 of 59

i was hoping my gs1000 and new double helix cable for the lcd x/alpha dog would make it, but , alas, no such luck, still a decent chance that  the gs1000 could arrive today

i'll be spending some time today figuring out the most efficient , practical way to pack stuff lol

it may happen that i just bring the wadia 121, its headphone(amp) is good, and moving the mad ear, and bryston would be a PITA

 

 

 

 

 

 

edit: amp


Edited by jaywillin - 5/9/14 at 9:51am
post #40 of 59
"Just heard back from Peter, and the T5p won't be making it to the meet, as it's been delayed. My apologies to the folks who were excited to hear it... Ben, I'm sorry man, "

--No problem, I purchased a new pair Rosewood, LCD 2 this week and probably don't need to get tempted with the T5Ps. Will bring with other equipment listed. - Ben
Edited by finao1 - 5/9/14 at 10:27am
post #41 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post

i was hoping my gs1000 and new double helix cable for the lcd x/alpha dog would make it, but , alas, no such luck, still a decent chance that  the gs1000 could arrive today
i'll be spending some time today figuring out the most efficient , practical way to pack stuff lol
it may happen that i just bring the wadia 121, its headphone(amp) is good, and moving the mad ear, and bryston would be a PITA

Really hope the GS1000 makes the trip, so I'll keep my fingers crossed! But honestly, I'm more excited about hearing the AD and LCD-X anyway, so we'll just be happy with whatever we end up having wink.gif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finao1 View Post

--No problem, I purchased a new pair Rosewood, LCD 2 this week and probably don't need to get tempted with the T5Ps. Will bring with other equipment listed. - Ben

Cool. Still hate that they won't make it :P. We've got a couple of people who are planning on bringing 1350s, so I think it'll be interesting to see how they compare with the T51p, which I am just exceedingly impressed with. I might bring along a few other goodies (Amperiors are definitely coming, Meier Daccord might come too if there's any interest), and it looks like there will be plenty of great stuff to check out... Is it tomorrow yet?? wink.gif

Also, don't forget to let me know by 4pm (ish) if you're planning on joining us for dinner, guys!! Really looking forward to meeting all of you!!
post #42 of 59

due to some family issues,nothing really major, just a PITA, i'm only going to be able to come for a little while and i won't bring any of my electronics, but the headphones while be coming, minus the gs1000

grrrrrrrrrrr,

see y'all late morning, early afternoonish

post #43 of 59
Today's the day! See y'all in a few hours!

Bringing a few surprises...
Edited by JoeDoe - 5/10/14 at 8:06am
post #44 of 59
Hey fellas what's the power strip situation like up there?
post #45 of 59

great , great time guys !  can't wait to do it again !!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Meets, Get-Togethers, Factory Tours › Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers › Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 -- NEW THREAD!!