or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") - Page 11

post #151 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

unless you break the wires or snap the headband...
If you break the wires you can always solder them back on. Headband....... That's what duck tape is for
Edited by NewWaveAudio - 5/30/14 at 8:35am
post #152 of 8083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


unless you break the wires or snap the headband...

If you stay slow and methodical that should not happen.

 

carrying a screw across the front of a driver in a cage or not can get the screw sucked out of your hand and sucked/slammed into the diaphragm dome. 

The screws are small and the magnet strong. Watch out for that soul crushing moment.

post #153 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

If you stay slow and methodical that should not happen.

carrying a screw across the front of a driver in a cage or not can get the screw sucked out of your hand and sucked/slammed into the diaphragm dome. 
The screws are small and the magnet strong. Watch out for that soul crushing moment.

I've played around with neodymium magnets before (ah, ol' Buckyballs; I kinda miss those), and I have to tell ya, they're strong as f'k.

Listening to my new and improved Pros as I type this, and I could feel more of that bass coming through (although I will try to experiment with the cover on the centre hole to see if electrical tape could block more of that air and allow only the air in the little holes to pass through). Still need more bass tho, will check back with my Krakens to feed my basshead cravings as of late.

I'm also in the process of carbon fibre'ing my Pros and Pistons, because CARBON FIBRE ALL THE THINGS.
post #154 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

I've played around with neodymium magnets before (ah, ol' Buckyballs; I kinda miss those), and I have to tell ya, they're strong as f'k.

Listening to my new and improved Pros as I type this, and I could feel more of that bass coming through (although I will try to experiment with the cover on the centre hole to see if electrical tape could block more of that air and allow only the air in the little holes to pass through). Still need more bass tho, will check back with my Krakens to feed my basshead cravings as of late.

I'm also in the process of carbon fibre'ing my Pros and Pistons, because CARBON FIBRE ALL THE THINGS.
Is the only difference between the standard Krakens and pro the Mic? The specs are exactly the same. Love my standard Krakens. They don't disappoint.
Edited by NewWaveAudio - 5/30/14 at 12:04pm
post #155 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

O.K. so clearly the diaphragm is being vented from that pole piece.  You can see through the driver from one end to the other.



The problem is the one single vent is acting like a vacuum on high power and affecting the rear surface of the diaphragm.

If you hold a light on one side of the driver assembly you should see the holes around the driver which are now covered.
If the circuit is at 6pm you wanna identify the holes at 9pm and 3pm...directly across from each other






Your driver is not identical but has a larger venting.
I'd cover the hole on the magnet/backingplate and poke 3 holes in it with a pin/thumbtack. Your allowing it to breath but forcing the issue to the two holes opened at 3pm and 9pm
I'm gonna assume you have steady hands and are not drunk.
Gently open the 2 holes. open them fully. Do not let anything fall into the holes.

Your creating a better vented diaphragm and taking the vacuum away which limits amp headroom in every case I have done which is 4 different cans now. The 4 have better bass and all eat more amp.

Found a picture of the Krakens driver on the internet and they are open without a vent. So, I guess no modding is necessary.
Edited by NewWaveAudio - 5/30/14 at 12:15pm
post #156 of 8083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post


I've played around with neodymium magnets before (ah, ol' Buckyballs; I kinda miss those), and I have to tell ya, they're strong as f'k.

Listening to my new and improved Pros as I type this, and I could feel more of that bass coming through (although I will try to experiment with the cover on the centre hole to see if electrical tape could block more of that air and allow only the air in the little holes to pass through). Still need more bass tho, will check back with my Krakens to feed my basshead cravings as of late.

I'm also in the process of carbon fibre'ing my Pros and Pistons, because CARBON FIBRE ALL THE THINGS.

 

My mod is actually covering the vent in the pole completely but that driver you got has a huge vent in the pole. Covering it completely is the next original step.

It's a pain to go through the process for most but for me it's fun. Once you hit the right combo your maxing out the driver better than the original engineers did. 

 

Good luck with the carbon fiber...wear a hospital mask... if you breath any of that in.......best not to.

post #157 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveAudio View Post


Is the only difference between the standard Krakens and pro the Mic? The specs are exactly the same. Love my standard Krakens. They don't disappoint.

Yep. That's the only difference, which is why I got the Pros instead of the base model. Besides, my old mic broke, and I needed a mic for my gaming needs.

post #158 of 8083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveAudio View Post



Found a picture of the Krakens driver on the internet and they are open without a vent. So, I guess no modding is necessary.

Closed pole with 2 vents....that's pretty much it.

I'd open them on opposing sides for high gain balance but they should already be fine.

No risking warranty for you:D

Congrats...just enjoy what you got.

post #159 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

Closed pole with 2 vents....that's pretty much it.
I'd open them on opposing sides for high gain balance but they should already be fine.
No risking warranty for you:D
Congrats...just enjoy what you got.

No wonder they sound so bassy...but why so much upper bass though?
post #160 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

No wonder they sound so bassy...but why so much upper bass though?
Love the bass they put out on my HTC One. Comes perfectly eq'd for these cans. No adjusting necessary. Fun cans
post #161 of 8083
Thread Starter 

Not sure.

When I modded the Akai which are pure-breed Studio cans. The changes to the sound were very clear. Every mod sounded different.

 

 

These 2 side by side caused a wobble/flutter only under amp. Couldn't catch it with an ipod but amp it and it was clearly about to lose it.

 

Spread them across from each other (still 2 holes) and cover the pole piece/backing plate and I could increase 45Hz and amp more.

 

 

The 77x already hammered but ...what the hell...I never use em'

Covered the back and opened 2 opposite holes (all the holes breathe through a kinda mesh already) and I could climb +4dB at 45Hz.) and my amp gain headroom was clearly visually improved. I know where that knob went just before distortion and it goes past there now.

 

The lower bass extension is better because of the driver diaphragm being "free aired" kinda

Upper bass maybe a side effect of volume? It's just louder maybe?

 

EDIT:

If the signal is "muddy" for example a 45Hz note and 55Hz note just blending into one another than the mod is not right for the driver. It needs to be reverted or modified.

I took the Akai apart 11 times? 13 times? x2 cups:(

But the response was so clearly different it was fun to find the correct mod. Studio cans were great for a ref. Bass cans are already tuned.

Mud should never be a result.


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/30/14 at 10:55pm
post #162 of 8083

Based on this great thread I just ordered the JVC HA-Z2000. The fact that their bass is rated higher than Signature DJ is very impressive to me because the bass from the Sig DJs are end game level IMO. I can't wait to hear these babies once I get them in about a week. Thanks HawaiiBoy for the great input.

post #163 of 8083
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachoo5 View Post
 

Based on this great thread I just ordered the JVC HA-Z2000. The fact that their bass is rated higher than Signature DJ is very impressive to me because the bass from the Sig DJs are end game level IMO. I can't wait to hear these babies once I get them in about a week. Thanks HawaiiBoy for the great input.

 

You need to change the pads 

 

Original

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

 

 

Cannibalized JVC 55X firm pleather for Bass impact

 

HM5 and Alpha Dogs pic courtesy of @intlsubband

 

DT770 Velour pic courtesy of @pietcux

 

Alpha Pads pic courtesy of @Stereolab42

 

 

Sig DJ have great bass but not sz level. IMO not really close. Not from 70Hz and down.

Sz require eq and amp along with the pads. 

 

There is a community of owners HERE

They can help better than I ...I'm just a basshead. The sz can do more than play Hip-Hop.

post #164 of 8083
Thread Starter 

Low Frequency Harmonic Distortion Sound Test

 

 

 

 

 

SUB-BASS

 

(20-60Hz)

 

 

MID-BASS

 

(65-120Hz)

 

 

UPPER-BASS

(125-250Hz)

 

 

 

Mp3Skull Bass test tracks

post #165 of 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

No wonder they sound so bassy...but why so much upper bass though?
I did some frequency testing with the frequencies he posted and the sub-bass and the mid-bass are the most prevalent. The upper was like a high pitched sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")