or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") - Page 8

post #106 of 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

 

I've noticed that for a while now, a lot of people have been obsessing over the Sennheiser HD8 DJs (or at least, have wanted to buy them). Not sure if the hype train has rolled into the station, yet, but do you think you could ever get your hands on those? I've heard the bass on them is very impactful - which is probably a given, as they're DJ headphones. I want to see opinions from someone that isn't just gushing about the only headphone they've ever heard within that price range.

 

I had them for a while and I would really like to hear a comparison to the SZ2000. So @Hawaiibadboy - if you can get your hands on these, that would be very interesting to hear you thoughts.

post #107 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 

I wish I lived in Japan, so that I could go around demoing all those headphones. The best I've got in my area are a few Portland-based audiophile stores - only one of which has headphones available to try out, to my knowledge. Not even that many, either. :( Although I suppose several very-high-end headphones could be considered a lot.

 

I've noticed that for a while now, a lot of people have been obsessing over the Sennheiser HD8 DJs (or at least, have wanted to buy them). Not sure if the hype train has rolled into the station, yet, but do you think you could ever get your hands on those? I've heard the bass on them is very impactful - which is probably a given, as they're DJ headphones. I want to see opinions from someone that isn't just gushing about the only headphone they've ever heard within that price range.

 

 

I tried them a month ago (not pictured though I might have a pic? The pic below was kinda the faux DJ /Bass display table and they were on the back side)

 

 

 

The power input rating is maybe low because they distorted.

An e12 at high gain pushing a very hard low slope made them harshly respond.  I couldn't speak to any other claims made about them though.

post #108 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiCore View Post
 

 

I had them for a while and I would really like to hear a comparison to the SZ2000. So @Hawaiibadboy - if you can get your hands on these, that would be very interesting to hear you thoughts.

 I'm gonna sleep so I can elaborate to the best of my recollection tomorrow but they in no manner mirror the sz's low end response. Not at any moment in time did I recall them with a mind toward putting them on a top 10 list.  I just wasted 5 minutes looking for the driver size? Still don't know? Anyway this is for bass impact...this thread I mean.

 So I have no real comments on that set of cans. Sorry.


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/25/14 at 10:09am
post #109 of 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

 I'm gonna sleep so I can elaborate to the best of my recollection tomorrow but they in no manner mirror the sz's low end response. Not at any moment in time did I recall them with a mind toward putting them on a top 10 list.  I just wasted 5 minutes looking for the driver size? Still don't know? Anyway this is for bass impact...this thread I mean.
 So I have no real comments on that set of cans. Sorry.
I'll be on the lookout for cans that look to be bass monsters, or are holding some hidden bass slam ability from us... There seems to be quite a few that still haven't been discovered. Should I just pm you if I find something that looks promising?... And pioneer. I've seen them on amazon, and didn't think anything of it, but its a top 10 contender? 0_0 maybe there should be a runner up list of the next 15 that didn't quite make it, but still slam. I mean, we have a wiki, but that doesn't list them in order of slam, only in order of type. Cannon, bassy, etc. A list of #11-20, and #21-30 should give people a broader range of options and give people a better mode of comparison. Put 30 cans on there, and people are more likely to have at least one of them on the list to know where their slam levels are in comparison to other headphones.
Edited by DisCHORDDubstep - 5/25/14 at 10:57am
post #110 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post


I'll be on the lookout for cans that look to be bass monsters, or are holding some hidden bass slam ability from us... There seems to be quite a few that still haven't been discovered. Should I just pm you if I find something that looks promising?... And pioneer. I've seen them on amazon, and didn't think anything of it, but its a top 10 contender? 0_0 maybe there should be a runner up list of the next 15 that didn't quite make it, but still slam. I mean, we have a wiki, but that doesn't list them in order of slam, only in order of type. Cannon, bassy, etc. A list of #11-20, and #21-30 should give people a broader range of options and give people a better mode of comparison. Put 30 cans on there, and people are more likely to have at least one of them on the list to know where their slam levels are in comparison to other headphones.

 

That sounds like too much work for who's benefit I'm not sure?

The Pioneer will likely make the next Top !0 which will remove another pair. It's just for Bass impact on an identical bass hit. Very simple. I can do that in my spare time .

post #111 of 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

That sounds like too much work for who's benefit I'm not sure?
The Pioneer will likely make the next Top !0 which will remove another pair. It's just for Bass impact on an identical bass hit. Very simple. I can do that in my spare time .

I think the answer to that is simple: the noooooooooooobz.
post #112 of 8111
Thread Starter 

DJ DRAMA

 

 

Went into a guitar shop and was met with many 'DJ" Headphones.  I asked to use my amp and it was like "go ahead, whatever" ....very different from other headphone shops. Proceeded to get blown away by 2 cans that ate tons of energy but required me to lower the highs to keep raising the lows...which were not distorting (lows) ...and delivering some impressive impact.

Both cans have minimal info on Head-fi:blink:

 

This is not a DJ place so I guess.....but....they hammer. 

 

Who wants DJ headphones? I dunno....and after thinking last night I realize I don't care. This is about Bass. Big bass. Not muddy bloated messes but hard hitting bass and that list of mine is about just that and it's about to get 20% of it revised.

Change is good:D

post #113 of 8111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

That sounds like too much work for who's benefit I'm not sure?
The Pioneer will likely make the next Top !0 which will remove another pair. It's just for Bass impact on an identical bass hit. Very simple. I can do that in my spare time .

Well, as far as I know, a lot. Of DJ headphones are supposed to hit hard, though I dunno about the smaller DJ cans like the HD25. Then again, what you wrote is very intriguing. Do you have any names on them? I'd like to find out if I could get these in my area. Then again....
post #114 of 8111
Ok. Now I have a bass test idea. 10368471_706415279451175_5158937861559537903_n.jpgtake clear tape, make it lay fairly tight, and have a seal... Then, take a USA penny (or approximate weight and size object.) and lay it directly on top. Record, and then post.
post #115 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post


Well, as far as I know, a lot. Of DJ headphones are supposed to hit hard, though I dunno about the smaller DJ cans like the HD25. Then again, what you wrote is very intriguing. Do you have any names on them? I'd like to find out if I could get these in my area. Then again....

 

They are supposed to (the real ones) jack into equipment that has higher output ability so they are 2x the typical headphone spec. Still limited by driver quality but I found 2 that hit hard with eq.

They go on next list.

post #116 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Ok. Now I have a bass test idea. 10368471_706415279451175_5158937861559537903_n.jpgtake clear tape, make it lay fairly tight, and have a seal... Then, take a USA penny (or approximate weight and size object.) and lay it directly on top. Record, and then post.

 

Your gonna have sticky earpads:D

 

I use the paper so the energy escapes out of 1 of the 4 sides.

If you vid this upload it to the extremebass youtube acct.

post #117 of 8111
Ok. I don't have the password though. Plus, I'm gonna do this so its a little closer to the seal you get when they go on your head.
Edited by DisCHORDDubstep - 5/26/14 at 9:16pm
post #118 of 8111
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisCHORDDubstep View Post

Ok. I don't have the password though. Plus, I'm gonna do this so its a little closer to the seal you get when they go on your head.

PM being sent

post #119 of 8111
Thread Starter 

                                 

 

                                                   

 

 

 

 

TOP 10 for May 2014

* Using 70Hz "Hit" and a* 35Hz "Hit"as comparative test. All listed cans compared with a Cowon DAP Settings= Flat 5 band Eq/BBE+10 Mach3Bass+8 e12 amp +16dB gain on. Bast boost switch on

 

 

 

 

 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

1. JVC HA-SZ2000 

 

 

Peerless sub bass and entire 18-120Hz response. Final option for chronic basshead. 

 

Driver size: 55mm "Sub-woofer"/ 30mm CNT

Impedance:16 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Exceptional +30dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs

 

Weakness: Sub>>Mid transition. , Poor stock pads.

 

**


 

2. Sony XB700

 

Epic bass. overwhelms signature. Can be amped well.

 

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

Impedance 24 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Good +18dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs

 

Weakness: Pillow pads absorb too much of the hit. 

 

**


3. Ultrasone Signature DJ

 

Harder deeper low end than the pro 900. Takes more amp too

 

 

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

 

Impedance 32 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs (to raise bass only,?)

 

Weakness: Echo/resonance over takes bass response before distortion.Stupid expensive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**


4. JVC HA-MR77x

 

Hits very hard. Eats good amp.

 

 

Driver size: 57mm Mylar (PET)

 

Impedance 46 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Good/Great 16-20dB @45Hz

EQ: Needs (to raise mids)

 

Weakness: Echo/resonance over takes bass response before distortion.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**


5. Pioneer SE-MX9-K

 

New cans. Wow. responded well to "rah" hit. Very big surprise by Pioneer.

 

 

 

Driver size: 50mm (?)

 

Impedance 32 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Good +15 @70Hz

EQ: ? (need more time)

 

Weakness: Over ear..on ear mish mash like SMS and (need more time)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*


6  Monster/Beats by Dre Pro 

Still can't past the fact that these are +16dB near 50Hz.... poor 30Hz and down response (original Monster/Dre version)

 

Driver size: 50mm (?)

 

Impedance 32 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Average +12 @45Hz

EQ: Needs (raise bass only)

 

Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost.

 

 

 

 

**


7. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Similar to Beats pro in "pre-tuned" driver. Headroom with amp is low same as beats Pro. Hit hard as **** though

 

 

Driver size: 50mm Mylar (PET)

 

Impedance 32 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Average +12 @70Hz

EQ: Needs (raise bass only)

 

Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. Pad size (shallow)

 

 

 

*


8. Monster Npulse

Like the 77x hit way out of their price range and any range. Headroom is slightly bigger than Yamaha and Beats Pro

 

 

Driver size: 40mm Mylar (PET)

 

Impedance 32 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Average +14 @45Hz

EQ: Needs (raise bass only)

 

Weakness: Driver tuned to near limit. Amping gives only some boost. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*

 


9. Ultrasone Edition 8 "Ruthenium"

 

Again...like the #1 cans on my list these went totally unmentioned to me

Don't know what a "triple bass port" looks like but know what it sounds like.

Very low and hard hitting solid housed cans.

 

 

 

Driver size: 40mm Titanium plated Mylar 

 

Impedance 30 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz

EQ: Needs (raise bass,?)

 

Weakness: Stupid expensive

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**

 


 

10. ATH - PRO 700MK2

 

I know...wtf??...they got me today. I amped them to a point beyond the Beats Pro.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
 

I was surprised.

The first 2 I heard were damaged display models or the ones I heard today were ...

I dunno what to say? They hit really hard before reaching distortion

 

 

 

Driver size: 53mm  Mylar (PET)

 

Impedance 38 Ohm

Amp Headroom: Great/Good +18 @45Hz

EQ: Needs (raise bass only,?)

 

Weakness: Pad depth. Different pairs very different sound?

 

 

 

 

 

**

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

**better insight/specs and graph will go here on future lists of cans

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________

 

Tested 5/25/14

 

 

On pure low end lifting amping and impact these two will be replacing two on the existing list.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

*Final posting of the May 2014 Top 10


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 5/27/14 at 9:29am
post #120 of 8111
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OJ4glvw4Y here's a video of the 55's... May not be the best, but it sure does at lot considering its 50$ MSRP. Btw, I took the video.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")