Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") - Page 78

post #1156 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaDanny5 View Post

wow that looked nice, great test but it made me wonder something, what happens if you use a DAP without an amp? like for example the cowon iaudio10, what happens if you use that on a JVC SZ1000/2000 without an amp?

Good question - and here's your answer - both videos using SONY MDR-XB1000 headphones - first video is running solely off Cowon iaudio 10 DAP on maximum volume, and second video is Cowon with E12 amp wink.gif


without amp ^
with amp v

DisCHORDDubstep knows the score, and the answer lies in it's name - amplifier - and as in this case, an audio amplifier:

"audio amplifier - an amplifier that increases the amplitude of reproduced sound"

ie schiit gets louder basshead.gif or as it's sometimes referred to as to "pump up the noise"



Not using an amp on cans that require it or need driving for purpose of these bass/paper tests is equivalent to using melons as ammo for a cannon - just not going to do anywhere near as much damage as a cannonball smily_headphones1.gif

Melons are one thing, but bananas are the worst - always avoid bananas in your tail pipe, you'll get a lot of congestion followed by misfires eek.gif

Please now watch this below public safety video for your own personal safeguarding - stay safe people wink.gif


Edited by cb3723 - 7/12/14 at 2:47pm
post #1157 of 2283

so guys which is the best basshead headphone that does have a warm sound signature and is fatiguing in mids and highs

post #1158 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaDanny5 View Post

wow great vids (and great example biggrin.gif ), there is certainly a visible diffrence between the two and the bass seem to be pretty powerful specially on the one with the amp blink.gif  although the xb1000 seem to be pretty bassy just by themselves basshead.gif

Going off topic here, but this YT viddy is the Beverley Hills Cop Movie track played on old floppy disc drives - awesome biggrin.gif (though the mids & highs are a little harsh rolleyes.gif)

post #1159 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post

so guys which is the best basshead headphone that does have a warm sound signature and is fatiguing in mids and highs

You want "fatiguing mids and highs"? blink.gif
post #1160 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post

You want "fatiguing mids and highs"? blink.gif
don't you? biggrin.gif
post #1161 of 2283

I wanted to bring a post I made in another thread over here to get your guys opinion on the matter (http://www.head-fi.org/t/719539/best-bass-hitting-headphones-under-300-preferably-unamped/15):

 

"Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC."

 

At the moment, I'm between the V-Moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Beats Solo 2, or Sony XB-400/XB-600. I'd prefer they be smaller headphones for the added portability although I'd still like to hear your opinions on both full size basshead cans without an amp and smaller headphones. 


Edited by d1ce - 7/12/14 at 6:11pm
post #1162 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ce View Post
 

I wanted to bring a post I made in another thread over here to get your guys opinion on the matter (http://www.head-fi.org/t/719539/best-bass-hitting-headphones-under-300-preferably-unamped/15):

 

"Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC."

 

At the moment, I'm between the V-Moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Beats Solo 2, or Sony XB-400/XB-600. I'd prefer they be smaller headphones for the added portability although I'd still like to hear your opinions on both full size basshead cans without an amp and smaller headphones. 

 

If no amp, no budget specified: Yamaha Pro 500, Monster N-Pulse, Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D600, Ultrasone Signature DJ, V-Moda M100, etc.

post #1163 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ce View Post

I wanted to bring a post I made in another thread over here to get your guys opinion on the matter (http://www.head-fi.org/t/719539/best-bass-hitting-headphones-under-300-preferably-unamped/15):

"Although I've read through and watched all of cb's and hawaiiboys videos on basshead cans they all pertain to optimal situations (amp+dac). This particular thread intrigues me because OP is seeking the ideal basshead cans WITHOUT an amp and/or plugged straight into iPhone/PC."

At the moment, I'm between the V-Moda XS, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Beats Solo 2, or Sony XB-400/XB-600. I'd prefer they be smaller headphones for the added portability although I'd still like to hear your opinions on both full size basshead cans without an amp and smaller headphones.

The SONY MDR-XB910 have a good stock bass sound signature - from what I can gather, the same headphone is the XB900 in the States (I'm in UK).

I'm pretty sure these are within your budget, but may be right at the top of it.

The 900/910 cans are bit of a plasticky affair, but I find them very comfortable and I love SONY's XB house sound.

These cans also fold up into a smaller convenient package that's easy to put in a backpack, though shockingly SONY don't provide any storage bag/case with them.

d061667d_DSC_1395.jpeg Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
eea0fdba_DSC_1399.jpeg
787ebab8_DSCF5338.jpeg

Both v-moda m100 and xs are beautifully built and robust with a good sound but not as bass heavy as the SONY's
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ff116a4e_DSCF6014.jpeg

SOL REPUBLIC Master Tracks by Calvin Harris have strong bass signature if not a bit congested and build is very robust.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a3630e6c_DSC_1886.jpeg

Maybe out of all my suggestions, the v-moda M-100 is a happy medium between the larger XB910's and the minute XS's. The M-100's are very comfortable over ear design, very robust and fold away to a convenient small package that can be put in provided equally robust carry case into a backpack and forgotten about - the SONY's you'd have to be careful with as the all plastic build could prove fragile and easy to damage.

But see if you can find a store that has a few of your options headphones for you to try them out for obvious sound but also comfort factor smily_headphones1.gif


4961d747_DSCF4530.jpeg
Edited by cb3723 - 7/12/14 at 7:26pm
post #1164 of 2283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

If no amp, no budget specified: Yamaha Pro 500, Monster N-Pulse, Ultrasone Pro 900, Denon D600, Ultrasone Signature DJ, V-Moda M100, etc.

I agree the Npulse and Yamaha Vmoda can go into big bass mode without an external amp .

 

@Zaknin

 

Distortion is a big no no 

 

Something is not right.

Do you have an ipad?

 

 

 

ipad/iphone to amp to sz

 

settings

 

30Hz

+9.5dB

Q=1.000

 

51Hz

+7.7dB

Q=1.000

 

78Hz

+2.8dB

Q=5.000

 

 

 

 

 

My amp was dying as you can see the light blinking so the hit was dying too but it's very friendly and is not gonna distort your cans. Lets not hurt these things. You can see evrything else is flat besides the sub bass/bass bump.

 

They may make an app for PC? Or if you have an idevice this app with "extend dynamics" switched on will help prevent clipping /distotion 

post #1165 of 2283
Thread Starter 

Portable mode AND Plant mode

 

 

 

 I have always been on-the go mobile and built the bass package around that.

That ipad app and amp combo made me reconsider the need for rec's with the "plant" mode folks in mind.

I'll add more info to that in the future and any users with good PC/Mac idevice software packages  passed to an amp that achieve good bass and control off it are welcome to make suggestions.

post #1166 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


You want "fatiguing mids and highs"? blink.gif


sorry heavy bass non fatiguing mids and highs I what I want, so which one is the best out there to buy

post #1167 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post
 

I agree the Npulse and Yamaha Vmoda can go into big bass mode without an external amp .

 

@Zaknin

 

Distortion is a big no no 

 

Something is not right.

Do you have an ipad?

 

Well, after some tinkering I have video of bass paper test,Fiio 07k  flat eq, Clear Bass +3, Fiio bass boost +8, volume 45/60, gain +6 (sorry for mediocre quality)

 

I think Fiio 07k is not enough to juice up Sz2k  (250 mW@16Ω vs E17 > 290 mW@16Ω  vs E12 >  880mW@32Ω according to Fiio's official site, not info for E12 at 16 ohms, but you get the point)/ Clear Bass is not good enough.


Edited by Zaknin - 7/13/14 at 1:19am
post #1168 of 2283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaknin View Post
 

 

Well, after some tinkering I have video of bass paper test,Fiio 07k  flat eq, Clear Bass +3, Fiio bass boost +8, volume 45/60, gain +6 (sorry for mediocre quality)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I think Fiio 07k is not enough to juice up Sz2k  (250 mW@16Ω vs E17 > 290 mW@16Ω  vs E12 >  880mW@32Ω according to Fiio's official site, not info for E12 at 16 ohms, but you get the point)/ Clear Bass is not good enough.

Hey now!!

 

 

 

 

Nice.

 

Q#1

Are those stock pads?

If so that would be the first thing on the checklist before anything else.

The stock pads are ass. Pure ass.

 

 

Q#2

What does Clear Bass +3 equal? 

 how much of a boost and at what frequency is that?


Edited by Hawaiibadboy - 7/13/14 at 1:34am
post #1169 of 2283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hykhleif View Post
 


sorry heavy bass non fatiguing mids and highs I what I want, so which one is the best out there to buy

 If you raise the sz1000 low end and leave the rest flat you'll end up with what you described.

That requires eq and an amp though.

 

Without one or the other maybe another set would be better.

cb has a much larger collection than me. He can probably answer that better. I'm assuming "fatigue" is highs like Ultrasone S-Logic or any can with a "V" response (the right side of that "V" representing elevated highs)

post #1170 of 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibadboy View Post

 

Q#1

Are those stock pads?

If so that would be the first thing on the checklist before anything else.

The stock pads are ass. Pure ass.

 

 

Q#2

What does Clear Bass +3 equal? 

 how much of a boost and at what frequency is that?

Q1-Yup,  crappy stock pads, Superlux pads are no go with sz2k, so I'm waiting for my 77x (have to import them too, not even shipped yet,duh) 

Q2- Good question, searched for a while but there is no info about Clear Bass freqs :\ At least it is better with Clear Bass +3 Fiio boost +8 that Clear Bass +2 Fiio boost +10db

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")