This is my first post. I have looked at so many posts on this website and the community is really strong here. Everyone was especially helpful when I was doing research into my Fiio X3 which turned out to be an excellent purchase. I am now looking into getting a new pair of headphones. Stuff to consider:
1) MOST IMPORTANTLY: My budget is in the $100 to $150 range. This is really important.
2) I have looked at the Headphone Buying Guide which was passed around all over the forums and have decided to take my query directly to the community.
3) I'm a bit of a basshead. With that said, I'm not looking for muddy bass, but just pleasant bass (I have heard 50mm drivers are the way to go)
4) I'm also interested in a mic with the headphones/headset (for gaming purposes)
5) I will be using these headphones for listening to a variety of music (mostly hip-hop, classical, alternative rock, punk, trap music, rap, r&b, jazz, blues)
6) I will also be using the headphones for gaming purposes so a mic would be a nice bonus but really not 100% necessary if the sound quality outweighs the presence of a mic
7) VERY IMPORTANT: I'm looking for COMFORT. I have a really great pair of Able Planet Noise-Cancelling Headphones which press down on the top of my ear after hours of use. I have considerably big ears but not the biggest you've seen for sure. I plan on wearing these headphones for long gaming sessions and would prefer minimal heat, sweat and ear compression. I also wouldn't like the band that presses against the top of your head to press down too hard.
8) I would prefer nothing wireless or noise-cancelling. I'm not a fan of recharging/inserting batteries to use my device although one of the headphones I've been looking at are wireless but come with a built-in battery for charging, which I can live with if sound quality is good.
Here's a list of headphones I have looked into and am interested in purchasing. I'm really just looking for advice on what to get that meets my requirements and is within my budget. While these are just some possible options, I am VERY open to suggestions as long as it's within my budget on Amazon Canada or another Canadian website.
- Denon AH-D1100
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (isn't everyone interested in these?) :)
- PS3 PULSE Wireless Stereo Headset
- SteelSeries Siberia V2
NOTE: Although I'll be using these headphones for gaming, I'll be using them more for listening to music than anything. Along with my Fiio X3 that is! This means that I have an DAC to plug into and will be able to listen to music at high frequencies with good sound. I'm leaning towards the ATH-M50's, but have heard that they can be uncomfortable for long periods of listening and have seen several mods to make them more comfortable. I don't really want to go out and buy new pads, I'd prefer for the headphones to be comfortable right out of the box. I have heard that the ATH-M50's have a beautiful sound and clean but not overpowering bass. I have also read that the Denon AH-D1100's have more bass and feel more comfortable but don't sound as nice as the ATH-M50's. I'm not too sure about the other 2 and I'm really looking for actual advice from members who have tried these phones out or own a pair.
TL;DR: Listening for long periods comfortably is my bottom line - even if that means dipping a little further into my wallet but still below $200 after tax.