Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › ROCK JAW Testers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ROCK JAW Testers - Page 30

post #436 of 651
Interesting... You must have different silver filters than I do. The bass on the AG's with the silver's is so boomy it is basically unusable on anything other than an iPod. smily_headphones1.gif
post #437 of 651
I will most likely do up the AG review this weekend, it's been 30C here most of the week and I just got the air conditioner installed and running.

We also have a hurricane rolling up the eastern seaboard which is going to unleash a pile of wind and rain, good Jazz listening / review writing weather IMHO. biggrin.gif
post #438 of 651
It might also be attributed to differences in seal and tips being used.
post #439 of 651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

It might also be attributed to differences in seal and tips being used.

Yes it does make a big difference. In fact the variations on tips used, ear canal shape/size and source can all make a difference.

post #440 of 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbob View Post
 

Yes it does make a big difference. In fact the variations on tips used, ear canal shape/size and source can all make a difference.

Which is why I think the Alfa Genus has a huge selling point amongst those who appreciate sound signature characteristics.

 

Personally, I found the bass enhanced a bit overpowering on my X3, however I'm not that much of a bass-head, which is why I didn't give it a negative mark on my review as it was more personal preference.

This morning I did drive my Alfa Genus directly from my Nexus 7, which felt weak and I found I actually preferred the bass enhanced filters to give the music a bit of life.

Has any bass enthusiasts tried the Alfa Genus bass filters? I'd be interested in their thoughts.

post #441 of 651
I will be trying those filters tonight or on the weekend.
post #442 of 651
I believe they will appreiate the super power bass response but if only its less boomy but nevertheless, RockJaw did a good job.
post #443 of 651

My review of the Alfa Genus is up.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus/reviews/11243

 

Will be interesting to compare notes eventually.

post #444 of 651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

My review of the Alfa Genus is up.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus/reviews/11243

 

Will be interesting to compare notes eventually.

 

 

Utterly wonderful! When hard work pays off like this, you know you did your job right. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

 

With the 3rd filter I think this will be a complete package (plus the little accessories and changes)

post #445 of 651
Wow!
Excellent Review Brooko!

How does one even post a review after a review like that one... frown.gif
post #446 of 651
Why hasn't Brooko get his "Contributor" title yet?

Well done, Brooko! Looking forward to see it getting featured tomorrow popcorn.gif
post #447 of 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

My review of the Alfa Genus is up.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/rock-jaw-alfa-genus/reviews/11243

Will be interesting to compare notes eventually.

Wow! That is a great, in-depth review and structure. I'm taking notes for my future reviews, thanks Brooko!
My reviews look so 'meh' compared to that. Got to start somewhere. Good luck to those who post next.
I'm surprised to see the Alfa Genus frequency responses from Rock Jaw in there.
post #448 of 651
Thread Starter 
We don't mind providing the charts as the only info that really matters is in the listening wink.gif

Also nothing wrong in your reviews you hit on all the points
post #449 of 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbob View Post
 

"We're not worthy!"

 

Utterly wonderful! When hard work pays off like this, you know you did your job right. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

 

With the 3rd filter I think this will be a complete package (plus the little accessories and changes)

 

Yep - to me you are.  To release an IEM with that signature, that flexibility, in that price bracket, is pretty special.  Unfortunately now - you've set the bar pretty high.  I'm looking forward to seeing the changes you made on the other IEMs in the line (as well as the Acero).  I hope the amendments - especially Kontrol - change the sound sig quite a bit, because (for me) sonically, they were all quite a bit inferior to the Alfa Genus the way they are now.  Fingers crossed.

 

Quick note - my preference only - if the Alfa Genus had a touch more impact in the bass, and was dialed back on the upper-mids just a little (I suspect there is a compensated peak around 5K similar to the HD700) - then it would be getting close to my personal perfect sound sig.  Nice job.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Wow!
Excellent Review Brooko!

How does one even post a review after a review like that one... 

 

Thanks TD.  I'm actually looking forward to seeing everyone else's - just so I can see how we all individually rank the Alfa Genus based on our own personal tastes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Why hasn't Brooko get his "Contributor" title yet?
Well done, Brooko! Looking forward to see it getting featured tomorrow popcorn.gif

 

I'm pretty sure Contributor is only applied to those that have donated toward the upkeep of the site (it was used a lot in the early days of Head-Fi I think).  I probably should make some sort of donation at some stage - simply because of the amount of time I use the forums.  As far as getting it featured goes - I'd love to see this one make the front page just so that Rock Jaw can get a bit more exposure (IMO the Alfa Genus does deserve it).  But hopefully if my one doesn't make it, one of the other reviewers will.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesRevenge View Post

Wow! That is a great, in-depth review and structure. I'm taking notes for my future reviews, thanks Brooko!
My reviews look so 'meh' compared to that. Got to start somewhere. Good luck to those who post next.
I'm surprised to see the Alfa Genus frequency responses from Rock Jaw in there.

 

Thanks.  It's only one opinion though - and everyone else's is just as valid as mine.  I go into a little more depth with mine, and I include photos that I would personally like to see if I was reading the review. Others may find mine too long winded, and prefer something more succinct.  You will find that your style will develop as you go along.  Important thing - keep doing it, and strive for improvement as you progress.  I'm still not "there yet" as a reviewer - there are still many things I can improve on.

post #450 of 651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

Unfortunately now - you've set the bar pretty high.  

 

 

Yes, that is a problem. With the Alfa G i took all the mistakes and things we had learned from previous versions into an IDEAL unit. Which is why now the kontrol is driving me nuts. With the new porting it has moments of magic, but even now sat here at just after 10pm i am going over some possible driver changes for the dynamic. The dual BA with filters i discussed may even become the Kontrol replacement. Kontrol V2 if you will. 

 

You should have the new stuff Monday I think and the other cups. I wait with baited breath to the feedback.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › ROCK JAW Testers