or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV - Page 12

post #166 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post

I meant what you are calling level compression, not codec compression. Once I got used to the uncompressed sounds of the disc in question and then switched to another source, the new source sound like a flat wall of sound. No depth, clearly compressed dynamic range, etc.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

Got it.

post #167 of 185
I spent most of my initial listening time with the "instructional" tracks rather than the music tracks. I eventually got to the point where it all felt awfully redundant.

I'll definitely check out binaural recordings of music, but I doubt I'll need those "instructional" tracks again.

This is what I meant in my previous statement - this stuff is good to know, now just let me LISTEN. :-)

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
post #168 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaku View Post
 

 

While I will agree with your statement in regards that sonic compression can in fact can really open up a mix and make it sound great, when used properly. Unfortunately over the past 15 years it seems that sound engineers have all graduated from the school of blast your ears and mangle the fidelity.  There is a HUGE difference between sonic compression, and heavy sonic compression which is found in 99% of my 14000+ songs in my library that were produced AFTER 2000. This is due to one reason; cheap and abundant low quality gear found in tech devices such as laptop speakers, tablets/smartphones, bluetooth devices, cheap pack-in ear-buds, and Beats (I had to throw that in). The greater quality the gear, the more apparent (modern) sonic compression is to ones ears. On my sub $100 headphones/IEMs I simply can not hear any distortion sonic compression creates, but as I move up the line from say my Atlas to my HD 598, compressed audio sounds like poo. Ok, not every compressed song sounds like total poo (i.e. Garbage and Queensryche sound great), but over all, and especially compared to anything recorded, mastered, and presented in 24/96+, compressed music on good gear is less than stellar. The loss of quality is noticeable and unacceptable, regardless if one used headphones or loudspeakers.

 

My 2 cents: If one thinks that Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demo disc is flat, unimpressive, or gimmicky, I suggest checking your gear or learn to listen and appreciate better.

 

:beerchug: 


90% of the time the problem doesn't lie with the engineer(s), it lies with the band/producer/record label who generally only care about their track being loud on the radio. They pay the engineer so the engineer has to do what they're told.

post #169 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken2109 View Post
 


90% of the time the problem doesn't lie with the engineer(s), it lies with the band/producer/record label who generally only care about their track being loud on the radio. They pay the engineer so the engineer has to do what they're told.

Hmm, yes. Totally forgot about the Labels in the mix. The sad part is I suspect often the bands themselves are unaware or helpless in doing anything about their art being distorted to such a degree. 

 

:beerchug:

post #170 of 185

Thanks for the discount code, just picked this up and will test out my new HD800's w/HDVD 800 setup!

post #171 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

I hope viewers don't fall into the whole HD/high resolution trap. HD audio (16+ bit/44.1+ kHz) provides no benefits to the end listener...so there's no point in wasting your money on the highest resolutions in that regard. The music itself (recording and mastering) is great on the other hand, and that matters far more than the resolution of the file, if that even makes an audible difference.
 

 

What a great opportunity for skeptics to discover that for themselves!  Best and most convenient I've ever run across.

 

Assuming you've got adequate output hardware on a PC just buy the 44.1/16 and whatever else you want to compare it with and use a multitrack audio editor (capable of playing the higher resolution) by placing one of each in consecutive tracks and use solo to switch between.  Or have someone else do the switching while you try to guess with back turned when the switching occurs.  :-)

 

This would also be a good way to debunk the mythical "stage presence" differences among a set of phones.

 

Awesome set!

post #172 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanemethods View Post
 

 

What a great opportunity for skeptics to discover that for themselves!  Best and most convenient I've ever run across.

 

Assuming you've got adequate output hardware on a PC just buy the 44.1/16 and whatever else you want to compare it with and use a multitrack audio editor (capable of playing the higher resolution) by placing one of each in consecutive tracks and use solo to switch between.  Or have someone else do the switching while you try to guess with back turned when the switching occurs.  :-)

 

This would also be a good way to debunk the mythical "stage presence" differences among a set of phones.

 

Awesome set!

 

Well, if the music was tracked, mixed and mastered at 24 bit, buying the 24 bit will make a difference because the 16 bit downsamples will inevitably be dithered. If your kit can bitstream the 24 bit audio, you'll get THE absolute original audio. If your DAC (like my Fiio) can only do 16 bit, at least your last point in the chain is doing the downsampling and hopefully doing a good job with the chipset, so it's still a good test for your kit.

 

Thinking about it, my main PC boldly states it can natively handle 24 bit audio, so it's still an interesting test if you have any kind of media PC as part of your regular listening ritual.

 

I agree that higher bit depth otherwise only makes a difference if you have extremes of dynamic range. 96 kHz again only useful if you're recording fruitbat and harpsichord duets...


Edited by Christopher - 9/1/14 at 5:32am
post #173 of 185
Sorry for the late response. I didn't realize anyone asked about my listening equipment because I got caught up in the discussion of recording techniques.

I listened to the 96/24 version (or is it 24/96?) on my PC. I have a SoundBlaster Z with a dedicated headphone amplifier and jack. I was using a pair of Samson SR950 circumaural headphones.

This may not be as high-end a rig as some, but it is more than decent enough that my expectations are the issue and not the hardware.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk
post #174 of 185

Very nice. Can't wait to try this on my home-rig!

post #175 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.


In this episode of Head-Fi TV, we take a look at (and some listens to) Dr. Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc, which is a new, all-binaural music and test album, with 59 tracks of music and tests from Chesky Records and HDtracks.com. Make sure you’ve got good headphones on when you watch it!

When you order Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc, use the Head-Fi-exclusive 20% discount code UHDD20 to get 20% off.

Products mentioned in the video:



 



Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla
 

 



We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.



I've been so curious about this album. Can't wait to evaluate my system. I know what I have is damn good, but I want to know just how damn good it is. I believe this can help. Thanks Jude.
post #176 of 185

Thanks Jude.  I bought it and while the music is impressive I find that the recordings are generally lacking a sound stage and are concentrated left, right and center with not much between those three points.  I think it would be more impressive if things were placed between them so as to give a more natural stage with less at the extreme edges.

 

It sounded to me too much like two wide spaced stereo speakers recorded binaurally with old fashioned hard left, hard right and center panning.  Like a lot of the old jazz recordings.

post #177 of 185

These are mostly binaural (I would have to look at my notes to see what I used besides the Neumann KU 100), so they do render nicely in the headphones:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/223165/legally-download-able-binaural-recordings-links/225#post_11134849

 

Mark

post #178 of 185
That's the whole point, natural 3D environment has no audio compression. If it's in 24bit, that's 144dB, a lot more dynamic than what human can hear. Even with 96dB, it is already more than what most ppl can hear. Most contemporary CDs have less than 10dB dynamic range.

Besides, it would be hard to find a listening environment with under 40 dB ambient noise in the first place, so in practice, over 30 dB is more than enough IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur View Post

I understand this, but do we not risk possible clipping issues during amplification because of the large dynamic range?
post #179 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
 

 

NOTE:  If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

 

 

In this episode of Head-Fi TV, we take a look at (and some listens to) Dr. Chesky’s Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc, which is a new, all-binaural music and test album, with 59 tracks of music and tests from Chesky Records and HDtracks.com. Make sure you’ve got good headphones on when you watch it!

 

When you order Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc, use the Head-Fi-exclusive 20% discount code UHDD20 to get 20% off.

 


 

Products mentioned in the video:

 

 


 

Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV produced by Joseph Cwik and Jude Mansilla
 

 

We will occasionally post Q&A episodes of Head-Fi TV.  If you want to submit any questions (or comments), you can do so via email to tv@head-fi.org.

I tried to order using the code but it says "Coupon Code UHDD20 is not valid"

post #180 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by laialpha View Post
 

I tried to order using the code but it says "Coupon Code UHDD20 is not valid"

 

Perhaps, you might want to check again.  I just tried, and succeed.  Enjoy!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc - Head-Fi TV