or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) - Page 44

post #646 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb3723 View Post


Dude!

This is a tailored fit to measure review I was looking for - very interesting too smily_headphones1.gif

Big thanks!

It's been said that I buy headcans like others buy cheeseburgers, so maybe it's time for a double one with fries & a choc milkshake to go biggrin.gif -

I think I'll end up regretting letting the DJ's pass if I don't pull the trigger on them now as they are discontinued and will slowly slip away into only the second user market to pick up.

I'm too darn intrigued in the differences between the DJ's and the Pro's which though may not be as apparent as previously thought, nonetheless appeal to me as a fan of ULTRASONE to let go by.

One thing that is very contrasting is the colour scheme - very nice indeedy.

I'm 90% there on pulling the trigger with a cold sweat starting on my brow - lol biggrin.gif

 

No prob! ;)

 

And yes, if you do like the Pro's and want a bit more impact, a bit more clarity up-top and wider soundstage, the Sig DJs are an excellent pick up!!

Since I'm also a bit compulsive buying stuff, I'm just going to say... DO IT!!! Pull the trigger!!! (and post your impressions and comparisons to your current kick-ass gear! :-)).

post #647 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

No prob! wink.gif

And yes, if you do like the Pro's and want a bit more impact, a bit more clarity up-top and wider soundstage, the Sig DJs are an excellent pick up!!
Since I'm also a bit compulsive buying stuff, I'm just going to say... DO IT!!! Pull the trigger!!! (and post your impressions and comparisons to your current kick-ass gear! :-)).

coollogo_com-10461216.png


tongue_smile.gifbiggrin.gif




Edited by cb3723 - 6/1/14 at 8:56pm
post #648 of 1827
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithamb View Post
 

Type: In Ear

Brand: Atomic Floyd

Model: Superdarts

 

I would say these deserve a place on the list due to the skull crushing bass the dynamic driver in these babies produces. 

The dynamic driver coupled with a balanced armature in each ear with a V shaped sound signature means in my eyes, these are perfect for baseheads that enjoy dub/electro/dance.

Easily deserve a place on the list for bassheads.

 

What do you guys think?

 

Added - thanks mate!

 

Also, the Digizoid seems to be able to not only adjust bass, but treble as well.. Handy? Useful? Or not so much?

 

It has a screen as well, and a numeric value is displayed for volume, bass and treble.

 

This may or may not be part of the reason for the $250 asking price..

post #649 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Added - thanks mate!

 

Also, the Digizoid seems to be able to not only adjust bass, but treble as well.. Handy? Useful? Or not so much?

 

It has a screen as well, and a numeric value is displayed for volume, bass and treble.

 

This may or may not be part of the reason for the $250 asking price..

 

Being able to adjust treble is equally as important as bass control.  Can't eq the bass quite right?  Try adjusting the treble.  Psychoacoustics dictate that treble levels affect the perception of bass and vice versa.  I also make quick tonal adjustments when I significantly alter volume...always.

 

I will definitely seek the experise in this thread when I explore portable personal audio again very soon in the near future.  I found my SE530 BA drivers distort easily with quick blast higher volume listening.  Is this why you seek hybrid alternatives?  Makes complete sense to me.

post #650 of 1827
Thread Starter 

Hybrids, ideally, should get the best of both worlds.

 

The detail and precision of balanced armature drivers for mid/high, and the power, speed and decay of a dynamic driver for bass and sub-bass. 

 

It's a difficult thing to achieve. And considering how many drivers are in each enclosure, the impedance tends to get dreadfully low.

 

There are a few standouts that I've found over time, that are real winners.

post #651 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Added - thanks mate!

 

Also, the Digizoid seems to be able to not only adjust bass, but treble as well.. Handy? Useful? Or not so much?

 

It has a screen as well, and a numeric value is displayed for volume, bass and treble.

 

This may or may not be part of the reason for the $250 asking price..


The more adjustment the merrier, I'd even hope they further extend the configurability in the future by introducing a 5-band parametric EQ, maybe crossfading adjustment to make more use of the display. It would become the "DO IT ALL PORTABLE AMP", there's no product out there that would do it, I'd use it all.

 

With the treble adjustment in ZO3 I'm slightly disappointed that it doesn't also go subzero and you could decrease the highs too if you want. Then you could actually make headphones like Ultrasone PRO900 (and other highly exaggerated V-shape sound basshead headphones) sound decent! ;)


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/3/14 at 1:00am
post #652 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post
 

 

Added - thanks mate!

 

Also, the Digizoid seems to be able to not only adjust bass, but treble as well.. Handy? Useful? Or not so much?

 

It has a screen as well, and a numeric value is displayed for volume, bass and treble.

 

This may or may not be part of the reason for the $250 asking price..

 

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002 Go to specifications and look at the second and third graph. Does the same thing for $90, just not as much as the ZO3 does. To me there is no excuse for the $250 price tag, it seems to be either based off greed or ambition to get the company more money to do more in the future. Even if the ZO3 were able to boost even more and have significantly less distortion than a lot of other models under $150 but only a handful of the others at over $200, it would still not be worth $250. The E17 also does the same and is more refined.

post #653 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by xskugga View Post
 

 

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002 Go to specifications and look at the second and third graph. Does the same thing for $90, just not as much as the ZO3 does. To me there is no excuse for the $250 price tag, it seems to be either based off greed or ambition to get the company more money to do more in the future. Even if the ZO3 were able to boost even more and have significantly less distortion than a lot of other models under $150 but only a handful of the others at over $200, it would still not be worth $250. The E17 also does the same and is more refined.


It all depends, how it adjusts the bass/treble. I have Fiio E11 and E17, and although I love them as amps (especially E17), I never boost bass with them as for my liking they drown way too much into the mids. If the Digizoid can keep the bass in place, then I'm sold (of course me don't like the $250 tag ;)

post #654 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by xskugga View Post
 

 

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002 Go to specifications and look at the second and third graph. Does the same thing for $90, just not as much as the ZO3 does. To me there is no excuse for the $250 price tag, it seems to be either based off greed or ambition to get the company more money to do more in the future. Even if the ZO3 were able to boost even more and have significantly less distortion than a lot of other models under $150 but only a handful of the others at over $200, it would still not be worth $250. The E17 also does the same and is more refined.


Huh for starters the ZO3 has max output at 500mW @ 16 ohm compared to 250mW for the FiiO you list there. :p That's usually what sets the pricing because higher quality/more powerful components is more costly so at least compare correctly! The amping power doesn't scale linearly with price, it gets less and less bang-for-buck the more powerful it gets so you have to start comparing competitors with equally amount power and then start doing comparisons.

The reason it's so costly is the upgraded amping capabilites compared to ZO2, I'm sure the oled display will cost a little though which I'm unsure whether or not it will be worth having it for the added cost but it looks more like you're paying roughly $50 premium for OLED display + the FullSpec SmartVektor technology (compared to amps lacking display + proprietary technologies) which is somewhat reasonable. 

What they need to bring out is the lower-cost, less performing and a slightly upgraded ZO2 back to the markets, this sort of thing has a lot higher demand at the $119 price point. It's usually a smarter move to go from lower-cost products to higher performing options like FiiO did and prove that you have a solid product than vice-versa so you don't have to deal with this unfounded "specticism" which most likely hadn't happened if they have had a "ZO2+" out for a few months first.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/3/14 at 11:57am
post #655 of 1827
Thread Starter 

I am a big fan of that Fiio unit..

 

 

Hopefully the new DigiZoid is a huge step up!

 

(Minus the DAC, of course)

post #656 of 1827

Hi everyone..

 

I am so glad to discover this thread existence.. :D

Really love the list of bass related headphones/iem just what i was looking all over the internet. Thanks!!

 

Just a suggestion that comes to my mind, What if these headphones/iem 

1. are rated in terms of bass quality/quantity like maybe 1 to 5 stars

2. be classified into categories like punchy/rattling/pounding

3. bass depth shines more towards mid-bass or sub-bass?

 

Cheers

post #657 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbornchaos View Post

Hi everyone..

I am so glad to discover this thread existence.. biggrin.gif
Really love the list of bass related headphones/iem just what i was looking all over the internet. Thanks!!

Just a suggestion that comes to my mind, What if these headphones/iem 
1. are rated in terms of bass quality/quantity like maybe 1 to 5 stars
2. be classified into categories like punchy/rattling/pounding
3. bass depth shines more towards mid-bass or sub-bass?

Cheers

I once suggested a rating system like this some time ago, but there is one major factor which is preventing us from going through with it: subjectivity. all opinions are subjective, and as such, it will be very hard to form a general consensus of that particular product unless everyone on the thread has them and could form an opinion on them.
post #658 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post


I once suggested a rating system like this some time ago, but there is one major factor which is preventing us from going through with it: subjectivity. all opinions are subjective, and as such, it will be very hard to form a general consensus of that particular product unless everyone on the thread has them and could form an opinion on them.

 

You know what would be a way to compensate for subjectivity? (not really but read me out... :p)

 

What about making "rating" polls in the Club that "the Fighting ****" (i.e. Coq de Combat) created for each of the headphones in the list?

That way a balance can probably be reached (i.e. I would vote a 7 for the Yamaha Pro 500s but 4 others thing that a 5 is the max for them so avg 5.6 and this would be just for sound quality) from the people that have owned the headphones and might provide some kind of guidance to newbies or people that haven't tried them. They might then decide to either dismiss or buy...

 

I think that one of the Playstation trophy sites actually have "walkthroughs" for some games and they have an extra thread where people rate how difficult it is to get a platinum trophy... it all gets balanced out in the end... ....

 

 

Just a suggestion...

post #659 of 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post
 

 

You know what would be a way to compensate for subjectivity? (not really but read me out... :p)

 

What about making "rating" polls in the Club that "the Fighting ****" (i.e. Coq de Combat) created for each of the headphones in the list?

That way a balance can probably be reached (i.e. I would vote a 7 for the Yamaha Pro 500s but 4 others thing that a 5 is the max for them so avg 5.6 and this would be just for sound quality) from the people that have owned the headphones and might provide some kind of guidance to newbies or people that haven't tried them. They might then decide to either dismiss or buy...

 

I think that one of the Playstation trophy sites actually have "walkthroughs" for some games and they have an extra thread where people rate how difficult it is to get a platinum trophy... it all gets balanced out in the end... ....

 

 

Just a suggestion...

Or we could find frequency response charts of each headphone and counter it with objectivity. I know, how about we do both!

post #660 of 1827

anyone have any experience when it comes to being a basshead with the fiio x5 or the ibasso dx90?

 

Trying to decide between the two and need some fellow bashed advice rather than audiophiles seeking the holy grail of clarity.

 

I JUST WANT MY SKULL TO BE RATTLED WITH BASS. :L3000:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)