Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) - Page 24

post #346 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change is Good View Post

Wow, I wasn't even aware I was helpful enough to deserve some credit in this thread. Much thanks and great job with rebuilding this list. Subscribed... smily_headphones1.gif

I have to ask, why isn't the SRH1540 on the list? I, personally, think it hits hard enough to deserve a mention. The Momentum on-ear is another worth mentioning, as well.

 

Ah! The mysterious "Change is Good" who keeps popping up in the list..

 

You do exist!

 

Thanks for the tips - 

 

SRH1540 added!

 

The Momentum is already there - but I've added the "on-ear" part.

 

Cheers, buddy! Welcome. 

:beerchug:

post #347 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

 

F my life. So today the SRH1540 arrives as ordered, plus an Ultrasone 550, not the 900 I paid for. Second Amazon merchant screwup in less than a week. Luckily I took my revenge on these idiots with 1-star feedback, and also found a way to do the same for the first set of clowns.

 

 

 

Anyways, it looks like God doesn't want me to own a 900, so I bow to fate. In order to have something ultra-bassy to compare the 1540 to I went to Fry's and picked up a JVC HA-MR77X.

 

 

 

OK, so what about the Shure? It's stunningly beautiful, all carbon-fiber and aluminum and it barely weighs anything. The comfort is unreal. Is it a bass cannon? No, but it is bass-tuned, and a bit bright as well in the upper frequencies, which I enjoy. I could boost bass a bit beyond the point I can with my DT770s but not much. However, the SQ is simply retarded. Level of detail, transparency, and overall goodness is mind-boggling, it curbstomps my DT770, and that's a fantastic headphone in its own right. (It also curbstomps the V-Moda M100 I demoed.) It handles all genres pretty much with equal levels of awesomeness.

 

What about compared to the JVC hammer? OK, well, the JVC weighs about 3 times more. It's all plastic, but tough plastic, built like a tank. You could literally kill zombies with this thing. Certainly far less comfortable to wear than most anything else I've tried, though. The earcups don't even seal completely so I imagine leakage is not so good. What about bass? Yeah, it's got bass, more than the 1540 for sure, but actually not as much as I expected. I'd say it can output about 35% more before obvious distortion immediately kicks in. (The 1540, interestingly enough, did not distort as I raised gain on a bass tone, but stopped increasing in volume past a certain point, which I took as a sign to back off). But SQ doesn't even compare to the (very nice) Sony MDRX10 I currently use as a portable.

 

So the JVC is going back tomorrow, SQ is not even good enough for use as rap-only cans. The 1540s are absolute keepers, there is no way SQ gets better than this for less than a grand. Bass output is good enough for EDM (and of course rock, pop, etc.) but not all that I want for rap. However, only about 20% of my listening time is spent on rap. The Ultrasone 900 might have more bass but seems very unlikely to approach this in overall SQ... assuming I could even acquire a 900, which seems not to be in the cards. The Signature DJ might be all that, but I'm not buying two pairs of $1000 headphones, especially not white ones that will turn beige over time, as I've read.

Thank you my friend. You just saved me a fair amount of money. I've been contemplating the 77's to further broaden my view on bassy headphones, but seeing as how I love the X10's/XB910's (same headphone, different colors, AFAIK) I'm going to rethink that acquisition. I've had the XB70AP on my mind as well, because I own the XB90ex, and would like to know how this newer model compares. I really dig the XB90ex, however, it's pretty big in size and wouldn't be optimal for working out. I have three Meelectronics headed my way as well, so as you can imagine, I was really thinking if the 77's would be a worthwhile investment and as the fifth pair of headphones in one month, I think your comparison of them vs the X10 seals the deal: they will have to wait for another time when the wallet holes aren't as sparse.

 

As for the Pro 900's, you're not really missing out on anything special imo. I know they have a huge reputation for being bass monsters. They aren't. Your X10's has more punch and more quantities of bass. What I'm saying is that they are overrated as bass headphones. However, they are hugely underrated as "normal" headphones (where the bass isn't the main objective) -- they sound fantastic with certain types of music. That's also their biggest achille's heel: they only sound fantastic with a certain type of music and sound pretty crappy with everything else. When you realize that they only sound fantastic with roughly 10% of your music collection, that's when you realize that you can live without them. And, again, as said, when it comes to bass I think they're vastly overrated and the "normal" bassy $150 headphones of today are better in every way (think Ultimate Ears 6000, Sony X10, and so on...).

post #348 of 1202

Also, worry for spamming, but:

 

My vintage amp is sounding worse and worse and today I'm going to retire it. I guess age caught up, and AFAIK my AKAI AM-U11 is not high end enough to earn it a trip to some knowledgable repair shop, but is instead going to my basement waiting for some better day when perhaps I change my mind.

 

It saddens me because when she was in her prime, she sounded lovely. Gobs of bass, a warmish sound, and just little to no noise and yeah .. awesome in every way for headphones (less so for speakers, fortunately I bought the JBL OnBeat Venue for my iDevices -- absolutely gorgeous sound quality).

 

 

Rest in peace, my fair lady. :triportsad:

 

May the E18 taking your place serve me well.

post #349 of 1202
Thread Starter 

Here is a thought:

 

Basshead tubes.

Do they exist?

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #350 of 1202

Aren't tubes by default slightly basshead friendly?

post #351 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post

 

So the JVC is going back tomorrow, SQ is not even good enough for use as rap-only cans. The 1540s are absolute keepers, there is no way SQ gets better than this for less than a grand. Bass output is good enough for EDM (and of course rock, pop, etc.) but not all that I want for rap. However, only about 20% of my listening time is spent on rap. The Ultrasone 900 might have more bass but seems very unlikely to approach this in overall SQ... assuming I could even acquire a 900, which seems not to be in the cards. The Signature DJ might be all that, but I'm not buying two pairs of $1000 headphones, especially not white ones that will turn beige over time, as I've read.

 

If you love the 1540, don't even bother with the 900 - they are extremaly V-shaped, with no mids at all (compared even to DT770). The Shures are really good headphones (comfort wise almost on par with the Beyers). I only sold them, because they lacked a tiny bit for me in the subbass region and they were tad to bright in the upper mids/low highs (I'm extremaly sensitive to it).

post #352 of 1202
Has anyone here tried the JVC FX650? They're from the same family as the fabled FX750 etc but these are all I can afford. At this point I would take these or the Dunu DN1000.

Also regarding the prices, I think it would be a bit difficult to get the pricing sorted out as there are sales, fluctuations and street prices and most of the time the MSRP betrays the true value of a can. If you guys are willing to spend your time updating the prices, then that's fine, but I'd prefer just some basic price tiers without actual specific prices.
post #353 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post

Has anyone here tried the JVC FX650? They're from the same family as the fabled FX750 etc but these are all I can afford. At this point I would take these or the Dunu DN1000.

Also regarding the prices, I think it would be a bit difficult to get the pricing sorted out as there are sales, fluctuations and street prices and most of the time the MSRP betrays the true value of a can. If you guys are willing to spend your time updating the prices, then that's fine, but I'd prefer just some basic price tiers without actual specific prices.

I think we could also take some pointers from The Headphone Buying Guide by keanex:

Quote:
Note Guide:
(1) Denotes amp is not required and the headphone will probably not see any change with one.
(2) Denotes amp is not required, but one is recommended.
(3) Denotes amp is required. Using these without an amp will leave much to be desired.
 
Any headphone with a B next to the number, IE:
(2-B) indicates that it's a bass heavy headphone. 
 
Any headphone with an m next to it denotes that a mic/remote option is available.
 
Each link will be noted as such up to three reviews per headphone at the end of the descriptions. 
I was thinking we should use T (tight), B (boomy), or R (rumbly) to describe them. Also, the way they categorize amp requirement might be a good idea to add into the list. What do you guys think? 
post #354 of 1202

Keanex is a good guy, and I've butted heads with him about headphones on another forum as well (kinda random, small world, internet, ... hobby?). I like the sound of that system.

post #355 of 1202
Thread Starter 
We are trying our best to avoid subjective opinions in the guide (boomy etc) as it might rub people the wrong way and start arguments.

Although I personally still like a 1-10 bass scale idea wink.gif

Edit: I'm a big fan of Keanex - I'm a regular and long time user of /r/headphones, that dude with ojneg and the others are like gods over there.

I'm happy with any system btw! Keep up the suggestions, don't be shy.
Edited by White Lotus - 5/17/14 at 6:29am
post #356 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post
 

Keanex is a good guy, and I've butted heads with him about headphones on another forum as well (kinda random, small world, internet, ... hobby?). I like the sound of that system.

Actually, the entire guide wasn't done by Keanex. There were a few guys who developed it before he took over. Now, he's its "Keeper," as well as the Keeper of /r/headphones (which is pretty dang cool, honestly).

 

Well, looks like we got an upvote for the new system, but we need a final design format. Haven't thought of anything yet, though; too busy listening to music.

post #357 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lotus View Post

We are trying our best to avoid subjective opinions in the guide (boomy etc) as it might rub people the wrong way and start arguments.

Although I personally still like a 1-10 bass scale idea wink.gif

Yeah, how's that 1-10 scale going to work without subjective opinions of where a certain headphone ends up on that scale? ;)

 

Unless we go by objective measurements done by the same folks at the same place over several different headphones of the same model to avoid noise by batch manufacturing variations, we're going to have to accept a certain amount of subjectivity in the list (I still claim this hobby is 90% subjectivity which makes discussions more or less useless, but who am I to argue my subjective point of view). That is, if we choose to have anything about their bass capabilities, which could of course be up to question in the first place.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post
 

Actually, the entire guide wasn't done by Keanex. There were a few guys who developed it before he took over. Now, he's its "Keeper," as well as the Keeper of /r/headphones (which is pretty dang cool, honestly).

 

Well, looks like we got an upvote for the new system, but we need a final design format. Haven't thought of anything yet, though; too busy listening to music.

/r/headphones ? 4chan?


Edited by Coq de Combat - 5/17/14 at 6:32am
post #358 of 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coq de Combat View Post
 

Yeah, how's that 1-10 scale going to work without subjective opinions of where a certain headphone ends up on that scale? ;)

 

Unless we go by objective measurements done by the same folks at the same place over several different headphones of the same model to avoid noise by batch manufacturing variations, we're going to have to accept a certain amount of subjectivity in the list (I still claim this hobby is 90% subjectivity which makes discussions more or less useless, but who am I to argue my subjective point of view). That is, if we choose to have anything about their bass capabilities, which could of course be up to question in the first place.

 

/r/headphones ? 4chan?

+1. Rating scales will always be subjective. To be as objective as possible (and therefore be as useful as possible to beginners), we will have to ditch the scale. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea.

 

Also, /r/headphones is on Reddit. I'm no fan of 4chan.

post #359 of 1202
Thread Starter 
Guys you misunderstood my post. My fault, I didn't post clearly (I'm on a gig). I meant:

"let's not use subjective terms as it may cause offence, but if we have to, I like the scale idea"

My apologies!

Hmm. This rating system is a tricky one.

Edit: maybe I am the one who misunderstood. I shouldn't post unless I have time, sorry! Carry on
Edited by White Lotus - 5/17/14 at 6:53am
post #360 of 1202
Any system you/we chose will have some subjectivity.

Coq feels the Pro900 is not a bass monster. I 100% disagree. That is as wide an opinion difference as you'll get.

Whatever the decision on methods and layout I'm agreeable to. But keeping it simple is a good goal.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)