or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head - Page 6

post #76 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

He gets the majority of his headphones as samples (or in this case as a demo model).  It won't effect the bias of the review because of this fact.  I can't say this about everyone else that was part of the demo/beta group for the Oppo though. 

Glad to hear that cuz I stopped reading after that sentence.  ;)

post #77 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

Glad to hear that cuz I stopped reading after that sentence.  ;)

 

IMO, @keanex' review/impression of the Oppo PM-1 is one of the most unbiased ones on Head-Fi right now. 

post #78 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

He gets the majority of his headphones as samples (or in this case as a demo model).  It won't effect the bias of the review because of this fact.  I can't say this about everyone else that was part of the demo/beta group for the Oppo though. 

 

:confused:  I think it's a graceful way of putting things in an elegant review. Don't fault the reviewer for Oppo's misstep of trading credibility for an instant fan base. We should judge the product for how it sounds, not for how the firm promoted it here on Head-Fi.

post #79 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

IMO, @keanex' review/impression of the Oppo PM-1 is one of the most unbiased ones on Head-Fi right now. 

 

Just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. He never compared it against other planar magnetic HPs. "Oppo hit the nail in the head" but not Audeze, Hifiman, and other planar magnetics?

post #80 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

 

Just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. He never compared it against other planar magnetic HPs. "Oppo hit the nail in the head" but not Audeze, Hifiman, and other planar magnetics?

 

Bias is more in the tone of a writer as well as he positive and negative aspects of the review (the fact that the reviewer can address both)...  The majority o the early impressions of the Oppo basically read like they were the God-send, end-all, perfect headphone...  Keanex is able to point out a couple flaws with the headphone as well as point out its strengths. 

 

His title is a little link-baitish...  I'm not sure how many planars Keanex has actually heard...  If I'm not mistaken, this is the second, or third, headphone he's gotten that's above the 800 dollar mark. 

post #81 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

 

Just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. He never compared it against other planar magnetic HPs. "Oppo hit the nail in the head" but not Audeze, Hifiman, and other planar magnetics?

 

Bias is more in the tone of a writer as well as he positive and negative aspects of the review (the fact that the reviewer can address both)...  The majority o the early impressions of the Oppo basically read like they were the God-send, end-all, perfect headphone...  Keanex is able to point out a couple flaws with the headphone as well as point out its strengths. 

 

His title is a little link-baitish...  I'm not sure how many planars Keanex has actually heard...  If I'm not mistaken, this is the second, or third, headphone he's gotten that's above the 800 dollar mark. 

 

It is his first. He said he had never used anything more than $500. His only orthodynamics was Mad Dog, which is a good headphones, but not for against top of LCD-2 and other good stuffs.

 

What we know certain is that besides measured technical flaws, PM-1 is well-made, very good, dark sounding, lightweight, luxurious headphones, which pretty much safe to bet that it is worth for the price it is asking.

 

What we DO NOT know is how PM-1 is doing against other headphones with similar category. For some weird reason, Oppo decided to give away most of PM-1 to the people who do not have similar priced/performance headphones. There is a single comparison between LCD-2 and PM-1, and that LCD-2 is revision 1.

 

Too bad, I would had PM-1 if I were not saving my money for Schiit's upcoming flagship amplifier.

 

That said, I am far more interested in Oppo HA-1 as a good recommendation with no-nonsense pricing unlike Mcintosh's.

post #82 of 166
Here's a review that includes a comparison of PM1 and LCDX: http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-1/reviews/10906
Edited by Claritas - 4/30/14 at 9:00pm
post #83 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

It is his first. He said he had never used anything more than $500. His only orthodynamics was Mad Dog, which is a good headphones, but not for against top of LCD-2 and other good stuffs.

 

What we know certain is that besides measured technical flaws, PM-1 is well-made, very good, dark sounding, lightweight, luxurious headphones, which pretty much safe to bet that it is worth for the price it is asking.

 

What we DO NOT know is how PM-1 is doing against other headphones with similar category. For some weird reason, Oppo decided to give away most of PM-1 to the people who do not have similar priced/performance headphones. There is a single comparison between LCD-2 and PM-1, and that LCD-2 is revision 1.

 

Too bad, I would had PM-1 if I were not saving my money for Schiit's upcoming flagship amplifier.

 

That said, I am far more interested in Oppo HA-1 as a good recommendation with no-nonsense pricing unlike Mcintosh's.

 

Tyll has a pair.  You might be able to get more out of him. 

post #84 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post
 

 

Just wondering how you arrived at that conclusion. He never compared it against other planar magnetic HPs. "Oppo hit the nail in the head" but not Audeze, Hifiman, and other planar magnetics?

 

The "Hit the Nail on the Head" is slightly clickbait, which every review you'll ever read is going to use in some way. It's also partially due to the fact that Oppo really did put out a great headphone their first try through a very thorough beta test. I've never heard the LCD2 but they're on a second revision with 2 other higher-end versions that some people have compared the PM-1 to, with some thinking the PM-1 are better. That's hitting the nail on the head in my opinion. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post
 

 

Bias is more in the tone of a writer as well as he positive and negative aspects of the review (the fact that the reviewer can address both)...  The majority o the early impressions of the Oppo basically read like they were the God-send, end-all, perfect headphone...  Keanex is able to point out a couple flaws with the headphone as well as point out its strengths. 

 

His title is a little link-baitish...  I'm not sure how many planars Keanex has actually heard...  If I'm not mistaken, this is the second, or third, headphone he's gotten that's above the 800 dollar mark. 

 

Only the T50RP and the Mad Dogs. As for my headphones over $500, only the LEAR LUF-4B, Ad2000 and PM-1. Thanks for your kind words though. I've tried to be transparent as possible yet people like to shoot down my review as if it's meaningless or I'm hiding something from them. For some reason the PM-1 have really brought out the worst in Head-Fi and it's really a shame to see how childish people are being about someone sharing their opinions of a headphone. Just because many people are enjoying the PM-1 it doesn't mean that you should dislike your LCD2 or HD800 less, chill out folks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

It is his first. He said he had never used anything more than $500. His only orthodynamics was Mad Dog, which is a good headphones, but not for against top of LCD-2 and other good stuffs.

 

What we know certain is that besides measured technical flaws, PM-1 is well-made, very good, dark sounding, lightweight, luxurious headphones, which pretty much safe to bet that it is worth for the price it is asking.

 

What we DO NOT know is how PM-1 is doing against other headphones with similar category. For some weird reason, Oppo decided to give away most of PM-1 to the people who do not have similar priced/performance headphones. There is a single comparison between LCD-2 and PM-1, and that LCD-2 is revision 1.

 

Too bad, I would had PM-1 if I were not saving my money for Schiit's upcoming flagship amplifier.

 

That said, I am far more interested in Oppo HA-1 as a good recommendation with no-nonsense pricing unlike Mcintosh's.

 

You're wrong. I've used 2 other headphones over $500 firstly. Secondly the PM-1 are not dark, you don't need to listen to every TOTL headphone to know that they are not dark at all. Thirdly you're wrong again. Many people with HD800, T1, HE500, LCD2, LCDx and LCD3 have shared comparisons. If you're not finding them then you aren't looking. 

 

There's really a lot wrong with your post and you should have at least checked one of the two hugely popular PM-1 threads before commenting. 


Edited by keanex - 4/30/14 at 9:09pm
post #85 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

:confused:  I think it's a graceful way of putting things in an elegant review. Don't fault the reviewer for Oppo's misstep of trading credibility for an instant fan base. We should judge the product for how it sounds, not for how the firm promoted it here on Head-Fi.

 

I don't think that is fair at all. I was chosen because I was recommended by an anonymous name who is big in the Head-Fi crowd. I don't know how the others were chosen but some of them had much more experience than me with TOTL headphones while others had similar experience. I know that not everyone has come out of the woodwork, but I know that many of the people have much more experience than I do. I also feel that your choice in words minimizes my contributions, which I take offense to. I have passed Philips Golden Ears Challenge and I consider my ears to be as good as any one's here. I may have not heard all or even 1/3 of the top headphones, but to post as if that diminishes the value of my review is very hurtful. My review may not be useful to you or others who are considering these compared to the LCD2, HD800 or HE560, but my review is useful to those who only have "mid-fi" experience and are looking at a potential upgrade. 

 

In the end you choose what you want to read, you also choose how you respond to that. I've done nothing here to harm anyone and I've been very transparent about my experience. I'm just a guy who loves music and wants to share his opinion into the interwebs. 


Edited by keanex - 4/30/14 at 9:02pm
post #86 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 

I don't think that is fair at all. I was chosen because I was recommended by an anonymous name who is big in the Head-Fi crowd. I don't know how the others were chosen but some of them had much more experience than me with TOTL headphones while others had similar experience. I know that not everyone has come out of the woodwork, but I know that many of the people have much more experience than I do. I also feel that your choice in words minimizes my contributions, which I take offense to. I have passed Philips Golden Ears Challenge and I consider my ears to be as good as any one's here.

 

It was never intended as criticism of you or any other beta tester so there's no reason to be offended.

 

It's Oppo's trade off: popularity for credibility. They can't have it both ways.

post #87 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

What we know certain is that besides measured technical flaws, PM-1 is well-made, very good, dark sounding, lightweight, luxurious headphones, which pretty much safe to bet that it is worth for the price it is asking.

 

What we DO NOT know is how PM-1 is doing against other headphones with similar category. For some weird reason, Oppo decided to give away most of PM-1 to the people who do not have similar priced/performance headphones. There is a single comparison between LCD-2 and PM-1, and that LCD-2 is revision 1.

 

I did a write up against the LCD-X, posted here.  In short the PM1 is surprisingly competitive for a first headphone, sounds really good in the mids, but doesn't match the LCD-X on the low end.  I don't have the LCD-2  to compare against here but having heard it I know it would fall short of that on the bottom.  I think among headphone afficianados the Audeze is going to be the clear winner, the PM1s just seem a tad refined to give that 'oh wow' performance you get with the LCD line.  When the less expensive version comes out I think the modders are going to have a field day though.

 

Giving OPPO the benefit of a doubt, perhaps the reason they gave the phones to the 'wrong' reviewers in the community is that their marketing people didn't know any better.  They have been selling blu-ray players in magazines and to the mass market online, and that's primarily where their heads were on this one.  I've been seeing reviews of these popping up in the weirdest places in the media.  Obviously they didn't know the hp community very well since half the posts I read are about the poor marketing effort and I tend to suspect ignorance rather than stupidity in these cases.

post #88 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogodei View Post

 

Giving OPPO the benefit of a doubt, perhaps the reason they gave the phones to the 'wrong' reviewers in the community is that their marketing people didn't know any better.  They have been selling blu-ray players in magazines and to the mass market online, and that's primarily where their heads were on this one.  I've been seeing reviews of these popping up in the weirdest places in the media.  Obviously they didn't know the hp community very well since half the posts I read are about the poor marketing effort and I tend to suspect ignorance rather than stupidity in these cases.

 

I am going to be quick and honest about this: We are not exercising ignorance or stupidity. We are a small company that has not been pigeonholed into a specific category/class, so we are not limited to a specific subset of customers. The PM-1 can be appreciated by someone who frequents Forbes just as much as the diehards of Inner Fidelity. This is why you are seeing the PM-1 being reviewed by an incredibly wide array of reviewers.

post #89 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasturTheYellow View Post
 

I am going to be quick and honest about this: We are not exercising ignorance or stupidity. We are a small company that has not been pigeonholed into a specific category/class, so we are not limited to a specific subset of customers.

 

"We"? Do you speak for Oppo?

post #90 of 166

It is "we" when I am talking about OPPO.

 

It is "I" when I am talking about myself.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head