or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head - Page 5

post #61 of 166

It's a well-written review. Thank you for fixing that.

post #62 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

It's a well-written review. Thank you for fixing that.

 

Thank you for your kind words and it's not a problem. I didn't know it was a rule. 

post #63 of 166

Thank keanex for your impressions on the oppo pm1.  We have yet to be able to audition this new headphone here in Singapore and I look forward to being able to do so.

 

I have the LCD2.2 and thus, look forward to a comparison with the pm1.

post #64 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 

 

I can’t say that I have the most experience with high-end headphones. In-fact outside of the Audio Technica Ad2000 I’ve never used a full-sized headphone with a value of over $500.

 

 

 

This rather killed the review for me.

post #65 of 166

Just to clarify, in case there was any confusion, in my previous post when I wrote (in part):

 

Originally Posted by DougD View Post
 

<< snip snip >> 

 

* and the take-away summary that Oppo is going to be able to leverage from the various reviews is / will be ... IMO... these cans are in the same range of top-end performance as the other current end-game phones. BUT unlike most of them, it isn't picky about the equipment you use it with, or the music you listen to. It's comfortable enough to be your all-day, every-day super-phone. In short, it's THE high-end phone to have, IF you are the kind of person who only wants to have ONE high-end set of headphones. << snip snip >>

 

... that's not based on MY listening to the PM-1, because I haven't had a chance to do that, and I'm also not familiar with the kinds of 'phones with which it ought to be compared. (I'm personally in learning/shopping mode. The best headphones I currently have are a set of Stax SR-X Mk III that I purchased in (I think) 1977, for which the adapter is getting a little flakey with some left-side dropouts.) 

 

That was intended to be my take on how an Oppo marketer or a salesperson could position the PM-1s, based on the reviews that have appeared to date in various places.

 

Sorry if my original post caused any misunderstanding on this point. 

post #66 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceClass View Post
 

 

 

This rather killed the review for me.

 

It was free.

post #67 of 166
Be it 1100$ or 700$, they'll be facing some tough competition regardless... Only time will tell how good of a performer they'll prove to be.
I am more disgusted by the EU pricing... I mean 1100£ and 700£? For real? Should be in € already!
post #68 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceClass View Post
 

 

 

This rather killed the review for me.

 

Sorry. 

post #69 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 
Sorry. 

 

Not meant to upset you, but I can't think of any incidents when a person who listens TOTL headphones first time was not overly positive..... well, until that person listens to other TOTL headphones.

 

That said, I was pretty happy with HD800 and T1 until I heard LCD-2. There are so much inconsistency regarding the performance/sonic signature among TOTL headphones.

 

Well, by any chance, have you listened to some popular headphones like HD600/650, DT880, or K701? If so, can you make some comparison between them and PM-1?

 

 

My uneducated guess is that PM-1 is quite alike LCD-2v2 without that massive weight.

post #70 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

Not meant to upset you, but I can't think of any incidents when a person who listens TOTL headphones first time was not overly positive..... well, until that person listens to other TOTL headphones.

 

That said, I was pretty happy with HD800 and T1 until I heard LCD-2. There are so much inconsistency regarding the performance/sonic signature among TOTL headphones.

 

Well, by any chance, have you listened to some popular headphones like HD600/650, DT880, or K701? If so, can you make some comparison between them and PM-1?

 

 

My uneducated guess is that PM-1 is quite alike LCD-2v2 without that massive weight.

 

I've owned the Ad900, HD598, LEAR LUF-4B, Mad Dogs, and Ad2000. I've demoed the HD650, DT880 and K701. That is a short list of headphones that I've owned or demod and will gladly answer to more questions about my experience.

 

Edit: retracted as it's off-topic.


Edited by keanex - 4/27/14 at 6:39pm
post #71 of 166

Anyone suggest a good amp for these "theoretically"?

 

Cheers

post #72 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by keanex View Post
 
I've owned the Ad900, HD598, LEAR LUF-4B, Mad Dogs, and Ad2000. I've demoed the HD650, DT880 and K701. That is a short list of headphones that I've owned or demod and will gladly answer to more questions about my experience.

 

Edit: retracted as it's off-topic.

Would be great if you can make comparison of PM-1 vs HD650 and K701. Thank you for the contribution.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintinabulum View Post
 

Anyone suggest a good amp for these "theoretically"?

 

Cheers

Any solid-state, neutral-sounding amps with very, very low noise level and very low impedance output will suffice. May not play nice with tube amps with high impedance output and noise.

 

This is generally the case for high-sensitivity and low-impedance headphones.

post #73 of 166
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

Would be great if you can make comparison of PM-1 vs HD650 and K701. Thank you for the contribution.

 

 

Unfortunately I only had them on loan. I do not have them anymore.

post #74 of 166

@keanex,  did I read this right in your first sentence "...I want to thank Oppo for the PM-1 they graciously sent me to keep ..."  ?

post #75 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

@keanex,  did I read this right in your first sentence "...I want to thank Oppo for the PM-1 they graciously sent me to keep ..."  ?

 

He gets the majority of his headphones as samples (or in this case as a demo model).  It won't effect the bias of the review because of this fact.  I can't say this about everyone else that was part of the demo/beta group for the Oppo though. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head