or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head - Page 8

post #106 of 166

Humblest apologies regarding my concluding remarks about Audeze.  I was getting confused about Audeze model numbers.  My comparison was with the Audeze LCD-2 and I had it confused with the LCD-3 in my mind.  But my listening remarks are correct.  As good as the PM-1 is, for sonic realism the LCD-2 wins.

post #107 of 166

Lambskin?  Yuck.

post #108 of 166
Haha of all things one can choose to choose to complain about, the Lamskin is an interesting choice haha.

I'm infested in the HA-1, but I still stand by my original conclusions of this being overpriced. I have heard the LCD-2 multiple times, and firmly believe it is the superior of the two.
post #109 of 166
Oppo should stick to digital IMHO. Anyone can design an amp circuit, but it takes an expert to design a spectacular transducer.
post #110 of 166
What ???


Edited by YtseJamer - 5/1/14 at 8:40pm
post #111 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

Oppo should stick to digital IMHO. Anyone can design an amp circuit, but it takes an expert to design a spectacular transducer.

Not even sure what that means exactly, but Oppo has been designing analog audio components for years now with their highly regarded media players.
It has yet to be determined how the PM-1 really stacks up against their piers, but soon there will be some more expert reviews.
Even so, many owners are praising their sound and I haven't seen anyone else insinuate they shouldn't be making headphones.
I'm going to make a prediction that the PM-2 will be regarded as very best in it's class, and those accolades will then speak for themselves.

 

post #112 of 166
I think it will be decent. I meant circuit design, not transducer design. They shouldn't be making headphones. They are an excellent DVD company, so why mar there reputation by putting out a sub par $1100 headphone. $1100 buys you a whole Stax system... There is no sober soul that can say the PM-1 is better than an intro Stax setup.

Yqu don't see Sennheiser or AKG making DVD players, so why is it good that Oppo makes headphones.
Edited by DutchGFX - 5/1/14 at 8:51pm
post #113 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

I think it will be decent. I meant circuit design, not transducer design. They shouldn't be making headphones. They are an excellent DVD company, so why mar there reputation by putting out a sub par $1100 headphone. $1100 buys you a whole Stax system... There is no sober soul that can say the PM-1 is better than an intro Stax setup.

I like a good pot-stirring sometimes too, but I think you are just looking to get a rise out of someone.
Saying you prefer the sound of a different headphone is one thing, but it's pretty unreasonable to suggest they shouldn't be making headphones,
not to mention insulting to the designers.

Yes they are considered the very best when it comes to their media players, but how does that equate to pigeon-toeing themselves into one category?
They are a small but VERY talented business that can pretty much do whatever they decide to do and do it well.
They have decided to enter the headphone arena and seem to have already made a very good impression at that.
For some reason though it really seems to be scary or intimidating to some people. ;)

post #114 of 166
I don't think it's poorly designed, I just think headphone companies should be making the headphones, and Oppo should continue to dominate the high-end DVD market.

I'm just trying to add my negative comments because without them, this thread seams too positive lol. Every thread needs some on both sides, some debate, otherwise it's pointless.


Total side note, I didn't know Oppo made phones, pretty interesting combo there, DVD players and phones haha, odd connection. At least headphones and DVD/CD go together, phone is just random haha
post #115 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

I don't think it's poorly designed, I just think headphone companies should be making the headphones, and Oppo should continue to dominate the high-end DVD market.

I'm just trying to add my negative comments because without them, this thread seams too positive lol. Every thread needs some on both sides, some debate, otherwise it's pointless.


Total side note, I didn't know Oppo made phones, pretty interesting combo there, DVD players and phones haha, odd connection. At least headphones and DVD/CD go together, phone is just random haha


LOL, what makes headphone company a "headphone company"? I would say anyone who manufactures headphones.
So there are really only 2 kinds, ones that make good headphones and ones that don't.
Based on owner feedback so far, I think that would put Oppo in the first category.

There's really no need to manufactured negative comments.
There are already a ton of those in the 'few too many' Oppo threads on HeadFi.
90% of the comments seem to be conjecture and mostly unnecessary... just like our last few comment in here.

post #116 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
 

I like a good pot-stirring sometimes too, but I think you are just looking to get a rise out of someone.
Saying you prefer the sound of a different headphone is one thing, but it's pretty unreasonable to suggest they shouldn't be making headphones,
not to mention insulting to the designers.

Yes they are considered the very best when it comes to their media players, but how does that equate to pigeon-toeing themselves into one category?
They are a small but VERY talented business that can pretty much do whatever they decide to do and do it well.
They have decided to enter the headphone arena and seem to have already made a very good impression at that.
For some reason though it really seems to be scary or intimidating to some people. ;)

 

Maybe... they shouldn't be making mobile phones either!

 

Maybe Sennheiser shouldn't be making DVD players! Oh wait, ok, they don't. But there is no commandment to say they can't.

post #117 of 166

We don't make smartphones. You need to divorce OPPO Mobile and OPPO Digital, Inc. We are not the same company. OPPO Digital, Inc is solely responsible for the designing, manufacturing, and supporting of the OPPO line of DVD, Blu-ray, Planar Magnetic (PM) and Headphone Amplifier (HA) line of products.

post #118 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HasturTheYellow View Post
 

We don't make smartphones. You need to divorce OPPO Mobile and OPPO Digital, Inc. ... ... ...

 

 

Oh! Thank you for the correction.

 

Believe it or not, although I was vaguely aware of the phones, and knew that the players existed (but not about them as I don't watch TV or movies)  it is the PM-1s that have brought the name "OPPO" to my attention just recently. Had no idea about separate companies or corporate structure.

 

I'll remember, but I'm sure many more will make the same mistake


Edited by Thad-E-Ginathom - 5/2/14 at 12:22pm
post #119 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
 

I like a good pot-stirring sometimes too, but I think you are just looking to get a rise out of someone.
Saying you prefer the sound of a different headphone is one thing, but it's pretty unreasonable to suggest they shouldn't be making headphones,
not to mention insulting to the designers.

Yes they are considered the very best when it comes to their media players, but how does that equate to pigeon-toeing themselves into one category?
They are a small but VERY talented business that can pretty much do whatever they decide to do and do it well.
They have decided to enter the headphone arena and seem to have already made a very good impression at that.
For some reason though it really seems to be scary or intimidating to some people. ;)

Wow! Pigeon-toeing!

I like it!

I love how phrases get mangled on here - and elsewhere! - sometimes.

We've had 'piers' for 'peers'.

Now this for 'pigeon-holing'

Origin.

Pigeon's fly into holes, like a filing/postal sorting office, hence ...holing, as in categorising!

 

Anyway, why can't Oppo try and jump on this 'charge a fortune for headphones' bandwagon?

Who were Audez'e once?

I'm amazed at how many folks on here have multi-set ups; SEVERAL Audez'es, etc.!

A lot of the world can't eat more than once a day!

post #120 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocellia View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
 

I like a good pot-stirring sometimes too, but I think you are just looking to get a rise out of someone.
Saying you prefer the sound of a different headphone is one thing, but it's pretty unreasonable to suggest they shouldn't be making headphones,
not to mention insulting to the designers.

Yes they are considered the very best when it comes to their media players, but how does that equate to pigeon-toeing themselves into one category?
They are a small but VERY talented business that can pretty much do whatever they decide to do and do it well.
They have decided to enter the headphone arena and seem to have already made a very good impression at that.
For some reason though it really seems to be scary or intimidating to some people. ;)

Wow! Pigeon-toeing!

I like it!

I love how phrases get mangled on here - and elsewhere! - sometimes.

We've had 'piers' for 'peers'.

Now this for 'pigeon-holing'

Origin.

Pigeon's fly into holes, like a filing/postal sorting office, hence ...holing, as in categorising!

 

Anyway, why can't Oppo try and jump on this 'charge a fortune for headphones' bandwagon?

Who were Audez'e once?

I'm amazed at how many folks on here have multi-set ups; SEVERAL Audez'es, etc.!

A lot of the world can't eat more than once a day!


Thank you for the condescending corrections.
Next time try typing out complete sentences and proper punctuation when you are correcting someone else's grammar.:wink:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head