Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements... - Page 6

post #76 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post
 

 

I'm sure Nick just wanted you to check it with a different cable, and a different source--that's standard procedure before doing a rapid return/exchange.

I suggest that in the future he might want to include that info in the emails.  The email I got was one line long and seemed pretty dismissive of the efforts I'd already put into troubleshooting.

 

Thanks for the response, Jason.

post #77 of 102

Received my Modi Optical last week and my setup is: Sony carousel CD player --> Modi Optical --> Asgard --> Alessandro MS2 headphones.  This is my first experience with an external DAC, but my initial impression is very good.  Not sure I'll need to upgrade beyond this level, as it sounds good to me.  The finish/texture/graining is different from the Asgard, but not unattractive.  For $99, I have zero complaints - another satisfied customer!

post #78 of 102

it would have been nice to have a regular coax input for those of us with home studios who want to use it with sound cards that don't have optical output


Edited by Audiolic - 5/5/14 at 7:27pm
post #79 of 102

lol. Somebody is worked up over nothing.

post #80 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiolic View Post

 

do you know how many home studio customer you loose just because of this

 

All the coax-requiring-home-studio customers who want a $99 DAC that they never had in the first place? :D

 

You could be a bit more polite about it and simply say "it would have been nice to have a regular coax input for those of us with home studios who want to use it with sound cards that don't have optical output".

 

:smile:

post #81 of 102

Got my Sys and Opti-Modi and now have a lovely five-piece "budget" Schiit stack on my desk. Looks great. I also really like the design of the Modi with the two lights (one for power and the other for optical lock). Amazingly, that stack cost just a little more than my HD650s.

 

Also BIG kudos to Jason and the team for designing the Optical-Modi to use the same 16 VAC power supply as the Magni and Vali! It is those little touches that make me a returning customer.

 

The Sys is a terrific buy at 49 USD. 

 

Stacked as follows (top down):

 

Vali

Magni

Modi

Opti-Modi

Sys

post #82 of 102

So I know the general consensus is that optical > USB, but it does seem like USB has come a long way even in the last few years, so at the same bitrate, does that still hold?

 

The optiModi sounds like the best buy for my pricepoint, given that my MacBook has an optical out (it blew my mind when I found that out....), but I could plug the USBmodi into a lot more things – though I'm not sure I would.

post #83 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravager View Post

Got my Sys and Opti-Modi and now have a lovely five-piece "budget" Schiit stack on my desk. Looks great. I also really like the design of the Modi with the two lights (one for power and the other for optical lock). Amazingly, that stack cost just a little more than my HD650s.

Also BIG kudos to Jason and the team for designing the Optical-Modi to use the same 16 VAC power supply as the Magni and Vali! It is those little touches that make me a returning customer.

The Sys is a terrific buy at 49 USD. 

Stacked as follows (top down):

Vali
Magni
Modi
Opti-Modi
Sys
How do you have them connected to each other? Example opti-Modi to Magni
post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformatron View Post


How do you have them connected to each other? Example opti-Modi to Magni

It isn't elegant, because I also have my phono preamp plugged into the Sys. Both Modi's have quick disconnects (RCA->3.5mm, both ends male) that feed a 3.5mm female -> RCA on "IN 1" on the Sys.  Then Sys feeds the Magni/Vali. The reason for the quick disconnect cables is because I have very tight RCA fittings.

 

So...Airport Express->Opti-Modi->Sys->Magni

 

I'm actually thinking about adding another Sys (reversed) into the chain (or maybe some other switch) to be able to choose between the Vali and Magni. The only time I use Magni is when I am using Grados or IEMs.

The stack looks terrific.

post #85 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaire View Post

So I know the general consensus is that optical > USB, but it does seem like USB has come a long way even in the last few years, so at the same bitrate, does that still hold?

The optiModi sounds like the best buy for my pricepoint, given that my MacBook has an optical out (it blew my mind when I found that out....), but I could plug the USBmodi into a lot more things – though I'm not sure I would.

At this point I think it's more about specific products, not a general optical>USB anymore. While I haven't heard the optical Modi, at least for the Bifrost the general consensus seems to be that USB is now quite comparable to optical (even with the first gen USB card when I had my Bifrost I had a hard time telling any difference)
post #86 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaire View Post
 

So I know the general consensus is that optical > USB, but it does seem like USB has come a long way even in the last few years, so at the same bitrate, does that still hold?

 

The optiModi sounds like the best buy for my pricepoint, given that my MacBook has an optical out (it blew my mind when I found that out....), but I could plug the USBmodi into a lot more things – though I'm not sure I would.

The worst part about USB dac is that they can carry with them noise, static and god knows what else.

I will favour always Optical untill those issues are resolved.

post #87 of 102

Optical/Coax isn't always better either.  It depends on the sound card sending the signal and whether or not it adds anything to it in the process.  If you can get bitperfect out, then for sure go with optical/coax.

 

For example, my current (and old) sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS with Coax out.  However, it isn't bitperfect as it always sends a 48khz (or is it 96?..I don't remember which) signal.  So regardless as to what is playing, it is fixed so some manipulation is going on.  In this case, USB may be preferred if bitperfect is important to you.

 

 

Just my 2 cents.

post #88 of 102
Jason,

Is there a Valhalla redesign in the works? Will the older units be upgradable?
post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by artev View Post
 

i forgot to ask but will my optimodi match my vali?  i hope so... :) 

 

i heard the vali had a different finish than the original modi/magni

 

Mine look exactly the same. Hope this helps.

 

Has anyone compared Modi optical vs. USB in A/B?


Edited by Empty Flower - 6/17/14 at 4:51am
post #90 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post
 

Optical/Coax isn't always better either.  It depends on the sound card sending the signal and whether or not it adds anything to it in the process.  If you can get bitperfect out, then for sure go with optical/coax.

 

For example, my current (and old) sound card is an Audigy 2 ZS with Coax out.  However, it isn't bitperfect as it always sends a 48khz (or is it 96?..I don't remember which) signal.  So regardless as to what is playing, it is fixed so some manipulation is going on.  In this case, USB may be preferred if bitperfect is important to you.

 

 

Just my 2 cents.

Id rather have non bitperfect rather than the damn static I normally hear with USB (Basicly the Power supply unit or the ground destroy me).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Avant le Schiitstorm: A Couple of Small Announcements...