or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution - Page 57

post #841 of 6481

Interesting you say that, I'm about to go and buy a HE-6 this Saturday and I'll be hooking them up to the NFB 28 myself. Time to hear what the HE-6 is all about, especially with metal.

post #842 of 6481
I got a fiio A1 speaker amp for $70. with my HE-4, HE-500 and LCD-2 it works amazingly well. if you're going the speaker amp route you really don't need to spend a lot of money.
post #843 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post

The main point is that there are a lot of who are not happy at all with their he-6 because of amplification.
I can:
1- buy a gs1000 and use it with my current setup.
2- buy a he-6 and nfb-28 (with custom higher gain for he-6) or other speaker amp around 400$ in next 9 months.
second option costs me 1k more bucks and take me around one more year.
The real question is that, does it worth it?

 

Do you mean they aren't happy with the sound? Do those people use it with a headphone amp? Or did you just mean they aren't happy with the fact that it requires a lot of power? Because most of the people who sing the praises of the HE-6 use a speaker amp. Yesterday, I was talking with someone who uses a $9,000 speaker amp with it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyZK View Post
 

Interesting you say that, I'm about to go and buy a HE-6 this Saturday and I'll be hooking them up to the NFB 28 myself. Time to hear what the HE-6 is all about, especially with metal.

 

mwahaha! We're all getting the HE-6, it seems. ('Cept I gotta wait for the cash.)

post #844 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post

Do you mean they aren't happy with the sound? Do those people use it with a headphone amp? Or did you just mean they aren't happy with the fact that it requires a lot of power? Because most of the people who sing the praises of the HE-6 use a speaker amp. Yesterday, I was talking with someone who uses a $9,000 speaker amp with it!
As I understand, it seems that he-6 is sensitive to umplification. It's not all about power.
I think that I've made my decision about getting he-6.
post #845 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post

As I understand, it seems that he-6 is sensitive to umplification. It's not all about power.
I think that I've made my decision about getting he-6.

 

Yup, every HE-6 owner I talk to says that getting any old speaker amp isn't enough, and that some of the more expensive ones are significantly better. But that doesn't change the fact that the HE-6 seems like the best all-rounder value in summit-fi, at least to me.

post #846 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

Yup, every HE-6 owner I talk to says that getting any old speaker amp isn't enough, and that some of the more expensive ones are significantly better. But that doesn't change the fact that the HE-6 seems like the best all-rounder value in summit-fi, at least to me.

audiophile mentality = more $$$$ shiit sounds better. in real life, ymmv

post #847 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post
 

audiophile mentality = more $$$$ shiit sounds better. in real life, ymmv

 

True, but I'll take the word of those with direct experience over theory for this one.

post #848 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

Yup, every HE-6 owner I talk to says that getting any old speaker amp isn't enough, and that some of the more expensive ones are significantly better. But that doesn't change the fact that the HE-6 seems like the best all-rounder value in summit-fi, at least to me.

Yes, but it leaves me with a dilemma that whether he-6 with budget fi speaker amp can excell an GS1000 with something like Vali. Specifically, I want to know that those who already praise he-6, will they praise it with some cheap (300-400 $) speaker amp? Is He-6 a headphone for high price gears or does it excel T1 and Gs1000 even with  cheap speaker amps?


Edited by heart banger-97 - 4/9/15 at 12:40pm
post #849 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post

Yes, but it leaves me with a dilemma that whether he-6 with budget fi speaker amp can excell an GS1000 with something like Vali. Specifically, I want to know that those who already praise he-6, will they praise it with some cheap (300-400 $) speaker amp? Is He-6 a headphone for high price gears or does it excel T1 and Gs1000 even with  cheap speaker amps?

I had the GS1000i, my first high-end headphone love affair (already had the pre-fazor LCD 2.2, but didn't love it at all, had no genre bandwidth for me). The HE-6 outclasses the Grado quite significantly. I'd go the 6 on a good budget speaker amp over the GS1000i any day. If possible do try a few amps, not all pairings are equal obviously.
post #850 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post
 

Yes, but it leaves me with a dilemma that whether he-6 with budget fi speaker amp can excell an GS1000 with something like Vali. Specifically, I want to know that those who already praise he-6, will they praise it with some cheap (300-400 $) speaker amp? Is He-6 a headphone for high price gears or does it excel T1 and Gs1000 even with  cheap speaker amps?

 

That same person with the $9K ($4K actual price) speaker amp told me this last night:

 

Quote:
Yes, with speaker amps the quality of the power is the most important aspect. It doesn't really matter how much power the headphone sees but the amp sound have huge reserves also. I don't really like vintage amps as they tend to be colored. They also have a lot of issues on their own. For ~$300, I'd get a Crest CA2 pro audio amp. I've bought one before to try and it can't be beat for the price. It lacks in imaging depth but most solid state amps under $3k have that issue. It needs a preamp though but I have a hard time recommending something cheaper. It also requires some basic tinkering - replacing the 80mm chassis fans with some quiet PC ones (or run fanless if you're ambient is cool enough).

 

To start with, I just plan on getting something under $100 unless my budget is a lot higher.

post #851 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

That same person with the $9K ($4K actual price) speaker amp told me this last night:

 

To start with, I just plan on getting something under $100 unless my budget is a lot higher.

lol you should stop listening to random rich people on the internet. I specifically remember two HE-6 rich owners on these threads that absolutely had no idea what they were talking about and did not even understand the basic principles of how amplifiers work. Pm @conquerator2 for a honest direct side-by-side comparison of the HE-560 and HE-6. Their performance is quite similar. the he-6 has a bit more bass from what I remember and perhaps there was a different in treble. there is really nothing mythical about the he-6's performance, it just suits some people's preferences very well just like every other TOTL headphone out there. It has better bass quality a lot of the other TOTL dynamic headphones out at the time due it being planar. there are tons of planars out on the market now. owners get attached to the gear they own and rate it above everything else. human psychology. please just go to a shop with all the TOTL headphones instead of planning on random X purchase having reading some positive reviews. Everyone who says their headphones are the 'best in the world or best in the class' are exaggerating. all headphones have flaws, so it just means that the sound sig really suits their personal preferences.

 

that's the truth of the situation and that's why you get people saying things like you don't have the right amplifier for the headphones if you don't like the way that headphones sounds (happens with a lot of TOTL headphones like the primes, hd800, he-6) as they do as they are trying to make their headphone sound like the 'objective best' when there is no such thing. there are only 'subjective bests.'

post #852 of 6481

FYI: Just got the Westone UM Pro50s. If you are looking for an iem that works for metal these are pretty good.

post #853 of 6481

I would not listen to anyone's opinion on the matter if they haven't spent some time evaluating the gear.

 

The real big problem is someone with a Pass TOTL amplifier isn't going to exactly like recommending vintage gear. While vintage pieces can be great values

there are also more modern equivalents that may offer a sound more suited to a specific preference.

 

Further, I can relate how complicated the HE-6 is to the SR-009, for example. Take an opinion on a T2, BHSE, HV, Megatron, etc and then take that comparatively

against, say, an 007t or 727. They're just not very good in comparison. They can get the job done and are good starting points. 

 

Just because I find the HV and 009 combo awesome, doesn't mean because it's not nearly as good, the 009 and 727 would stink. 

 

In the end, take the journey, experiment as much as you can, use your best judgement from reading varying opinions, etc and try to curve your choices

to stuff that fits your preferences more. Be it vintage (colored) gear or ultra clean, resolving exotics.

 

Do however ignore people who lack the first hand experience and only regurgitate what they've read.


Edited by paradoxper - 4/9/15 at 7:37pm
post #854 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post
 

I would not listen to anyone's opinion on the matter if they haven't spent some time evaluating the gear.

 

The real big problem is someone with a Pass TOTL amplifier isn't going to exactly like recommending vintage gear. While vintage pieces can be great values

there are also more modern equivalents that may offer a sound more suited to a specific preference.

 

Further, I can relate how complicated the HE-6 is to the SR-009, for example. Take an opinion on a T2, BHSE, HV, Megatron, etc and then take that comparatively

against, say, an 007t or 727. They're just not very good in comparison. They can get the job done and are good starting points. 

 

Just because I find the HV and 009 combo awesome, doesn't mean because it's not nearly as good, the 009 and 727 would stink. 

 

In the end, take the journey, experiment as much as you can, use your best judgement from reading varying opinions, etc and try to curve your choices

to stuff that fits your preferences more. Be it vintage (colored) gear or ultra clean, resolving exotics.

 

Do however ignore people who lack the first hand experience and only regurgitate what they've read.

 

Yep, that's what I said earlier on this page.

 

So if I want the most accurate sound, are vintage amps a no-go? Someone else also told me yesterday that vintage speaker amps are colored.

post #855 of 6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Alchemist View Post
 

 

Yep, that's what I said earlier on this page.

 

So if I want the most accurate sound, are vintage amps a no-go? Someone else also told me yesterday that vintage speaker amps are colored.

I am not going to generalize vintage gears into the colored lot. But often they offer a more warm presentation. And I actually think that's the way you should go

because until you climb to the summit, you'll be faced with lots of compromises. I'd pursue the more forgiving route until I could go for no stop-gaps.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution